Author Topic: WQ 550 Build/Test/ Review (Formally the S.A.R.Q. - search and rescue quad)  (Read 9509 times)

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Men and Their Flying Machines Somewhere Over OZ
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
Re: WQ 550 Build and Review (Formally the S.A.R.Q. - search and rescue quad)
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2014, 02:52:28 PM »
Those Snow Boogers get so darn hard you can break your toes trying to kick them off.  :t1933:

:freeze:  Ice

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline Skysurfer

• Video King
  • Multirotor Pilot
  • Be Blessed
  • Awards: Heli Pilot silverHeli  bronzeKk2 userMulticopter PilotMulticopter
Yup! :b0201: :b0201: :b0201:
John 3:16

Offline Skysurfer

• Video King
  • Multirotor Pilot
  • Be Blessed
On another more serious note, I ordered some heat sinks for the build from HK, hoping a couple of well placed heat  sinks will do the trick!

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
Coool, no pun intended!!!

But if that doesn't work, you can still go the mini fan option. Your still pushing air over, not cool air but air over the 4in1 which I think would help.

:freeze:    Ice

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline Skysurfer

• Video King
  • Multirotor Pilot
  • Be Blessed

The heat sinks arrived from HK and I cut some thermal silica double sided foam like pad to shape of the Quattro esc and applied it to the top of the esc, then I applied one of the heat sinks on the top of the esc leaving some overhang but that's OK as it should help with the heat.
I spooled her up inside the house and hovered with some maneuvering around the area for about 8:00 minutes. At the 4 minute mark the esc was getting warm. At the end of the 8 minutes, the esc was hot, not burn your finger hot, but hot enough.
Ice, you had it right the heat sink was good but not good enough for this setup.
Now I would like to go the muffin fan route that you had suggested earlier but I have to find a muffin fan that would be compatible with the battery I have in the craft already or perhaps a small battery? I have no experience in this field.

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
Sky, I didn't catch the post where you listed the lipo you planned on using. Not sure if you 3s or 4s? I've seen fans in both 5V and 12V units that are 1.5" squared.

:freeze:   Ice

Offline Skysurfer

• Video King
  • Multirotor Pilot
  • Be Blessed
Ice , Im using a 3s Zippy Compact 35c 2700mah

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
Sky, OK, that will give you 11.1 volts, You could use a 12V system. Now what kind of flying time are you getting with a fully loaded battery. We'll have to find something that draws very little amps otherwise your flying time will go down the toilet. What are your feelings on running a seperate lipo just for the fan. Can the bird handle the extra weight? Maybe just add a 500mah that weighs 95grams would do it. but first let do the math and some shopping and i'll get back at ya.
Otherwise launch the 4in1 and get seperate ESC's with a larger capacity to hold down the heat.

:freeze:   Ice

Offline Skysurfer

• Video King
  • Multirotor Pilot
  • Be Blessed
Well tinme is marching on and I'd better post this review although the ESC that I choose to use for the build (Quattro 25A 4in1) was kind of mis matched for this build I must say that Charles at LiftOffUAV uses 30A single unit escs and they work quite fine with that here are my findings for the WQ-550

First look at this new airframe  from LiftOffUAV and FVP comes to mind and also Oh yes the word  dif·fer·ent/[dif-er-uhnt, dif-ruhnt]adjective 1. not alike in character or quality; differing; dissimilar: The two are different. 2. not identical; separate or distinct: three different answers. 3. various; several: Different people told me the same story. 4. not ordinary; unusual.
Origionally designed with search and rescue in mind the now called WQ-550 (Waterproof Quad 550mm) is different in many points and those points add up to one nice airframe from LiftOffuAV. Here' a rundown and you can add the points for yourself. 
This  "different" design utilizes a two piece vacume formed waterproof shell made of high strength abs plastic and was designed from the ground up for fvp utilizing it's space to adequately carry your go pro and other fpv equipment. 
When I say high strength I mean it as (according to Charles at liftoffuav) this airframe was dropped via a full, throttle cut, from 100 feet hitting the ground and broke only a prop keeping the flight gear and battery safley tucked inside.
This airframe is in the lightweight category as it weighs around a very lighweight 190 grams, keeping in mind it's 550mm size.
It can move too as it has been clocked at 48mph (handheld radar gun)
 Keeping a  low profile and storing the flight gear inside it's water resistant shell the WQ 550 keeps the gear safe from a variety of elemental conditions and allows water and snow based landings and take offs.
The frame will accept up to 43mm pancake motors making lifting a full compliment of fpv equipment easy!
Speaking of FVP the video acquired from the WQ-550 is nothing short of impressive as seen in the supplied videos, all jello/distortion free just what a frame designed from the ground up with FVP in mind should do. Nice job! The water resistant shell affords some nice clear underwater video too with its ability to land on the water.
Only drawback I see is the airframes ability to adopt a kite effect in heavy winds due to its flat profile and flying in heavy  winds is not advised anyway but this shoudn't stop an airframe such as the WQ-550 from getting out there having  a go!

To see and read more about the WQ-550 visit liftoffuav.com or contact them via E-mail at LiftOffUAV@gmail.com

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:48:25 PM by Skysurfer »