Author Topic: Back to scale for me..Well sorta.  (Read 223 times)

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
  • Awards: fpv pilotmultipilot goldrcaddictnazacriusmulticoptergoldscalehelihelipilotsilverwaverunner
Back to scale for me..Well sorta.
« on: July 08, 2017, 01:04:26 PM »
I turned down the future mega drone builds and it has been turned over to a guy not far from here that has a shop and sell them full time. (because from work I don't have the time)

So far the flight times needed improvement from Hextor and it was turned over to him for those issues, but instead he chose (maybe for his own glory) to build his own and simply put Hextor in a corner. The one he decided to build is a bigger quad set up with motors on the top and bottom. The news that I am getting is so far the build has cost over $19,000 ( Hextors ended up being $4,500 including the TX) and upon maiden it did the FOD! (Flip of death) I was told it did about $3,000 worth of damage. :b0703:

Anywho to put that aside I wanted to go back to helicopters because I had more fun flying them. More challenging.
I have noticed upon looking for the right machine that every since the Multi craze, helicopters are slim pickings.
I decided to go with this WLtoys mini 6ch scale heli. I should get it in a couple of weeks. It has great reviews.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/wltoys-v931-as350-collective-pitch-scale-3d-rc-helicopter-ready-to-fly.html?___store=en_us

Offline Sobodad

• Helicopter Pilot
  • Awards: Scale heliHelicopter GoldPowered Glider
Re: Back to scale for me..Well sorta.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 07:26:16 PM »
I had an extremely similar experience with some local farmers ..

They came to me to build a drone with video feed, so they could track wild dogs on the property that have been attacking livestock.
Want they wanted was something to travel about 3kms range and be in the air for up to 3hrs at a time, have all the bells and whistles for sat nav etc.
Also it had to be relatively low budget, as it wasn't funded by any government or council regions.

After 48hrs of very extensive research, I told them it was not possible to get that much flight time on a battery powered drone, without going to some extreme lengths and costs.
Even then the best they could hope for was around 1 to 1.5 hours.

The build I came up with was around 8 grand, with a range of 20km via Sat Nav and Video feed to match, thermal camera, smoke/beacon dropper and an air time of around 45-60min.
They decided that the cost was too much and approached the local council for assistance, whom agreed to assist as long as the farmers went 50/50 with the costs and the council retained ownership of the drone. Everyone agreed, shook hands, singed contracts etc etc ..

It has now been 8 months and I happen to run into one of the farmers a couple weeks back and we got into a conversation about how the drone has been helping him ..
Well ... its now cost the farmers over 20 grand (plus 20 Grand on councils part) for research / development and they have not even begun to build a drone ..
Needless to say, they are not very happy .. lol ..

Anyway, back on topic .. lol ..

That little heli looks great, I hope you have a lot of fun with it :)

Be super carefull with it though, I had a similar Nine Eagles Mini CP ..
I had just 1 flight with it and although it flew perfectly and was amazingly stable, it was extremely agile and I lost control of it in the blink of an eye.
Crashed it into my arm and the thin blades cut me like a razor 1/4 inch deep and 2 inches long, broke the main frame, broke the tail shaft, broke the landing gear, broke main gears, broke canopy.

I bought all the replacement parts for about $10 .. But I just haven't had the heart (Nerve) to repair it ..   :0042v1:

Moral of the story .. Micro / Mini CPs are SUPER !!
.. Super Agile
.. Super Fun
.. Super Deadly
.. Super Fragile
 :b0201:

I'm sure you will have better luck than I did ..  :t2030:
Coax: Hunt Eagle V1 .. NE Solo V2
FP: NE Solo Pro V1 .. Walkera V200D02
CP: NE Solo Pro 180 3D .. Esky Belt CP 450 .. Esky Belt CPv2 450
CP: MSH Protos 500 .. MSH Protos 500 Airwolf Fuse
CP: JR Venture .30 Gasser
Quad: QR Ladybird V2 (x2) .. Turnigy SK450 .. AR Drone V1
Plank: Bixler v2

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
  • Awards: fpv pilotmultipilot goldrcaddictnazacriusmulticoptergoldscalehelihelipilotsilverwaverunner
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 02:20:27 PM »
"Be super carefull with it though, I had a similar Nine Eagles Mini CP ..
I had just 1 flight with it and although it flew perfectly and was amazingly stable, it was extremely agile and I lost control of it in the blink of an eye.
Crashed it into my arm and the thin blades cut me like a razor 1/4 inch deep and 2 inches long, broke the main frame, broke the tail shaft, broke the landing gear, broke main gears, broke canopy".

That's horrible Steve. The main reason I got this one so it wouldn't be so dangerous. Do you still have your V200 ?

Offline Sobodad

• Helicopter Pilot
  • Awards: Scale heliHelicopter GoldPowered Glider
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 09:34:48 AM »
lol .. yeah was pretty horrible at the time .. dont think I have been in so much shock before ..
Seeing what such a little bird could do in so little time ..

Yes I still have all my Heli's, however batteries are mostly run down and good for nothing now ..
Just haven't had the time to get back into it like I want to.

One day, I will make it happen again  :t2030:
Coax: Hunt Eagle V1 .. NE Solo V2
FP: NE Solo Pro V1 .. Walkera V200D02
CP: NE Solo Pro 180 3D .. Esky Belt CP 450 .. Esky Belt CPv2 450
CP: MSH Protos 500 .. MSH Protos 500 Airwolf Fuse
CP: JR Venture .30 Gasser
Quad: QR Ladybird V2 (x2) .. Turnigy SK450 .. AR Drone V1
Plank: Bixler v2

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 06:12:28 PM »
Heya Mark, have you gotten the new birdy yet???  :b0708:

:coolguy:

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 05:55:05 PM »
Yes. Had a couple of good flights with it. Pretty easy to fly for such a small cp bugger, but it flew perfect right out of the box. I want to take it to a grassy field and try some flips and rolls with it.

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »
Just remember.... It didn't happen with out Video Prof!!!! :face-slap: :b0209: :b0201: :b0201: :b0201:

Glad it's working good for ya Mark....  :t2030: :t2030:

:coolguy: