Author Topic: Servo replacement and general checkup  (Read 89 times)

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: FPV PilotRC AddictKK2 userMulticopter PilotScrap builds multisBuild helis
Servo replacement and general checkup
« on: August 09, 2017, 06:49:59 AM »
Since I have recently retired, I've been going through a "To-Do" list that is many items long.  One of those items is to go through my fleet of helicopters and multirotors and fix anything that is wrong with them.  The eventual goal is to try to sell most of the fleet to generate funds for another photo ship.  Anyway, I knew I had a bad servo on the T-Rex 450, so I decided to start with that, knowing that it has been years since I repaired or replaced anything on this copter.  Taking out the old servo was easy enough, but putting the new one back in was tough.  This particular model has plastic nuts on the inside of the frame and they are just about impossible to hold in place while running in the bolt.  I ended up soldering a metal nut to a paper clip and holding that in place while turning the bolt, and that worked fine.  When it was tight, I just snapped off the paper clip at the solder joint.  With new servo in, I tested the 450 in place, with the blades off of course, and a servo was still twitching.  Turns out that I replaced the wrong one--I'd replaced the pitch servo instead of the aileron servo which was actually the bad one.  Thirty minutes and a little more cussing later, I got the right one replaced!  I was very pleasantly surprised to find that all was good in a short flight test.  Stay tuned for more repair adventures as I tackle the rest of the fleet............... :headslap: :headslap:
"Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground"

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
Re: Servo replacement and general checkup
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 07:37:40 AM »
 :face-slap: :b0201: