Author Topic: AMA Elections  (Read 55 times)

Offline Gene T

• Helicopter Expert
  • Awards: Trex 500Trex 600Trex 700RC AddictOld Farts ClubHeli Pilot GoldHelicopter Gold
AMA Elections
« on: September 23, 2017, 12:38:31 PM »
I received my AMA renewal along with the yearly officer election stuff. Normally I don't pay much attention but I happened to see the campaign statements by the two candidates and it caught my eye.

The first one begins "The AMA has lost its way". I have to say I'm automatically turned off by anyone who starts out this way, but I like to keep somewhat of an open mind so I read it. If you are an AMA member, you should too. Lawrence Tougas' point is the AMA spends way too much of it's time and money on multi rotor / drone issues. The core of the AMA is fixed wing and rotary aircraft and it should spend most of it's time on that.

I don't fly drones and I couldn't really care less about them, but I firmly believe this guy is wrong and misguided. While I have no actual info to back me up, my impression of the last few years (and this is somewhat supported by the campaign statement of the opposing candidate, Randy Cameron), is that much of the AMA's efforts have been to defend this sport from the damage done by irresponsible drone operators, in many cases by spending time and effort to reach out to them and try to incorporate them into the fabric of the AMA and it's flight safety rules.

I believe that should continue.

If you are an AMA member, you should probably read the two statements and make your own decision and send in the ballot. I know I have, for probably the first time since I've become a member.

DX8, Phoenix, iCharger 208b, Blade mSR, Blade 130X, Blade 400 (Airwolf), TREX 500, TREX 600, TREX 700

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
Re: AMA Elections
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 07:55:40 AM »
Hi Gene,
Thanks for bringing that to our attention.
I received mine as well but typically I would guess, I haven't gotten to it yet.

I did start to read them last year - or when the last elections took place, and I intend to again this year.

The circumstances around all the attention paid to drone operators aren't all that great, but necessary. It seems those people or many of them were like the rebels with not rules - new kids on the block. So the AMA had to perform theur due diligence to try to bring some order so that the rest of the hobby wouldn't suffer the consequences and narrowly succeeded. So my hat is off to the current regime.

But I will take more time to look over the candidates. Thanks again for posting.