Author Topic: So what does this mean  (Read 300 times)

Offline AKPhill

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: multicopter goldCX 450HK 450RC AddictCriusMulti PilotHeli BuilderOld Fart
So what does this mean
« on: April 05, 2018, 10:40:07 PM »
Federal Aviation Administration <usafaa@public.govdelivery.com>

Apr 5 at 11:05 AM

FAA Acting Administrator Dan Elwell invites you to become an FAA-approved UAS Service Supplier of Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) services. 

On April 16, the FAA will open a new application period for UAS Service Suppliers to provide LAANC services. Potential UAS Service Suppliers must submit an application between April 16 - May 16, 2018. The entire process will take five months. Specific application instructions are available in section five of the USS Onboarding document (PDF). 

LAANC offers industry the opportunity to work with the FAA as we develop a UAS traffic management system (UTM). A safe UTM system requires collaboration between the government and industry.   

LAANC automates a previously manual system to obtain an airspace authorization under the Small UAS rule, Part 107. Companies approved to provide LAANC services and near real-time authorizations are “Approved UAS Service Suppliers (USS).”

Important information for applicants:

Applicants should have a mature product at the time of application or have the capability to develop it before formal onboarding. Information about which data streams applicants must use is available in the USS Operating Rules (PDF).

The LAANC capability is in a test phase. Prospective applicants should expect changes to the application process and requirements. To stay informed, sign up for LAANC related updates.

This is not a standard government acquisition. There is no Screening Information Request (SIR) or Request for Proposal (RFP) related to this effort.

Application instructions are available in Section 5 of the USS Onboarding document (PDF).

LAANC 5-Month Process  Flowchart
The FAA recommends that applicants review the following documents:

How to apply (PDF)
LAANC Concept of Operations (PDF)
USS Operating Rules (PDF)
Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) (PDF)
USS Onboarding Demonstration and Test Plan (PDF)

Offline spoonerrw

• Forum Zombies
    • My Youtube Channel
  • Awards: Multi pilotHoney Bee GoldHeli BuilderMulticopter GoldHeli Pilot Silver
Re: So what does this mean
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 01:35:03 PM »
I could be wrong, given the usual governmental confusing reteric in the description here, but are they maybe looking for volunteers to aid the FAA in a network that could be used to track small unmanned aircraft in the air?

I had read somewhere not too long ago that the FAA was interested in doing this kind of thing.
"what goes up, will come down... sometimes painfully."
AMA Member... 1063373

Offline AKPhill

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: multicopter goldCX 450HK 450RC AddictCriusMulti PilotHeli BuilderOld Fart
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 12:45:38 AM »
I don't know  :t2954:

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 08:00:30 AM »
That's kinda what I got out of it.

I will have to upgrade my radar installation before I apply though.  :face-slap:

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 08:55:40 AM »
I'm not going to Lie.... I don't understand an of this Crap....  :headslap:

:coolguy:

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
    • Hughes Aerial Imagery
  • Awards: FPV PilotRC AddictKK2 userMulticopter PilotScrap builds multisBuild helis
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 04:55:19 AM »
I think they are looking for service providers to come up with software to help automate the airspace authorization process, which is now very slow.  This is supposed to give a Part 107 UAV pilot nearly instant authorization in certain restricted airspace provided necessary safety conditions are met.
"I'm learning to fly, around the clouds
But what goes up, must come down"
                                   Tom Petty

Offline AKPhill

• Multirotor Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 08:46:09 PM »
 :b0201: Well I am not that guy  :b0201: