Author Topic: Well, I've gone off the deep end...6' wingspan FOAMY!!  (Read 248 times)

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
  • Awards: MulticopterCentury ClubRC AddictPlanker Builder GoldHelicopter Gold
Well, I've gone off the deep end...6' wingspan FOAMY!!
« on: June 10, 2017, 03:30:05 PM »
Yes ladies and gents, you read it right, I built and flew a 6' FOAMY this morning!  Well, I've been building it quite some time.  Anyway, let's start with some pics? 

You can see on this first one, 100A speed controller, 6S LiPo, 8A UBEC at 6v for all the digital servos, orange RX with sat...  Probably $60 in adhesives on this thing and $300+ of electronics!

I ended up with enough roll authority, but not really enough pitch and she was TAIL HEAVY!  Plenty of rudder as well

Eric helping me with a few tweaks right before first flight

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
Re: Well, I've gone off the deep end...6' wingspan FOAMY!!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 03:36:02 PM »
Here is the video of the first flight!  We had a drone race at our field today and I was REAL nervous about the course being set up, only leaving me about 80-90yd for takeoff.  As you can see, I staged it and used every inch of the space I had and I was horsing it off the ground to clear the drone race course!  The entire flight was a fight, I honestly think there are only two other guys in my club who could have pulled it off.  Way tail heavy and not enough elevator surface!  I had to hold nearly full down elev and carry a LOT of throttle to get the thing to stay in the air.  It was rolling left, so I was trying to trim enough rudder and aileron in to keep it level and come back around to land.

The camera guy was ON the runway, so I did not want to get near him just past the threshold and I ran out of real estate before I nursed it over to the grass.  Just plopped it down in the beans.  No real damage, prop is ok, so now I have to go back to the shop to perfect it.  I picked up another sheet of foam on my way home and will be cutting a new wing with some more dihedral in it and a much longer chord.  I think I will stick to the 6' length and make it a solid wing / won't come apart.  That will make construction a bit easier I think.  I hope to be back out with the new wing soon and try it again.  I need to monkey with the ESC, I don't think I'm getting full power and I want to turn the hard brake off.

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 08:40:19 AM »
Nice first flight Wayne. Sorry I missed it. It looked like you had it under control. Are you going to post more shots of the FPV course and quads?

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 09:24:45 AM »
I flew my phantom above some of the action, I have to pull the card and see what I've got.  We had one kid there that was real good, probably almost good enough to compete professionally.  He was climbing out about 100' doing flips and rolls, then diving at the deck and pulling out about '2 above the ground into high speed passes into the course.

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 06:34:21 AM »
I rough cut and sanded the new wing last night.  Still have to cut out the ailerons today, it got just too hot to work on anything last night after a bit.  I hope to make some real progress on it today.

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 10:12:36 AM »
New wing is on, had to do some field repair with one of the servos, but got it in the air.  Here is some video, sadly about half of it was lost as he was shooting too high.  I think I need to clean the leans too.  I'm REALLY peeved that he missed the approach to landing.  It was quite good, but I did a full stall landing instead of flying it on.  I guess in that big a plane, that's not good.  The nose was never designed to carry the weight of the battery, but that's where it ended up for weight and balance purposes.  One more repair and I think it will be all set to go again.

Dang, does that thing need some kind of ground roll though!  I was just trying to keep it on the runway, but still ended up forcing it into the air instead of letting it fly.  Just got to calm down and let it roll next time.

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 11:48:16 AM »
It doesn't really look that big till you get up next to it.
Your camera "person" was doing ok till the very end - not sure what they were looking at through the viewfinder  :face-slap:

How does it handle? It looks like it is floating, but obviously I can't see what you're doing with the sticks. :t2954:

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 08:36:41 PM »
This wing is much better.  I need to spend some time getting it back in the air and just getting some time on it now.  I will need a lot more expo and to adjust the elev link.  I have WAY more control throw and surface than I need and need to soften them up quite a lot.  I also have to mix some aile / rudder because she will pitch up in a turn without any rudder to guide the nose around.  It's actually pretty light for what it is.  I am concerned the 6S 3.3 pack was warm when I got it down.  I need to check the C rating on it compared to my 3.0's.  I will also have to work out a weight and balance for flying with the 3.0s, but have to get that nose reinforced before it will hold up anything.

Come up and fly it sometime!  You're good on fixed wing ain't you?

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 09:14:14 AM »
Looks good Wayne, can't wait to see it after all the tuning is done....  :t2030: :t2030:

:coolguy:

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »
I'm really having a lot of fun with the building.  I have an Extra already on my bench I need to be working on next.  Much smaller, but will still be loads of fun to work on

Offline wizzard363

• Airplane Expert
  • Awards: Planker pilotPlanker builder
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 12:19:41 AM »
Cool build . Making and flying foamies always makes me smile . Even better when you create your own design