Author Topic: Crash!  (Read 739 times)

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: FPV PilotRC AddictKK2 userMulticopter PilotScrap builds multisBuild helis
Crash!
« on: March 17, 2017, 04:51:00 AM »
No, not really.  No crash, just trying to get some life into the forum.  Where is everyone?  I'm flying the P4, most recently a long DroneDeploy flight over a friends' 100 acre property--took a little over 13 minutes and 360 pics to map the property.  What are you guys doing?  Someone must be flying or building something.  C'mon and speak up, I'm tired of finding nothing new here!
"Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground"

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
Re: Crash!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 09:37:03 AM »
I haven't been flying at all sine the last MultiGP race and have been focused on other projects. Namely giving my basement a re-do. That has taken all of my free time.

However, on the Drone racing front with the two companies I'm working with a lot is happening. Detroit Multirotor Company (DMR) is starting to make a name for itself in the drone community, mostly due to the hard work put in by the founder Joe Engalan. We have partnerships with several big names in the industry, including Fat Shark, SunnySky, Immersion, BuddyRC and a couple others. The Team pilots are also doing very well. One, Terry Arscott, aka Beastmode will be running in this season's Drone Racing League competition. I'll let yo know when it airs because he is "really" good.

The other company, PremierRC, has been around a long time, but have made their name in the kiting industry. Two years ago one of the kite designers, Wayne Brunjes, was also into drones. He talked them into making racing gates. Wayne designed a complete set of gates from boundary markers to slalom flags, arches and keyholes. Because of Premier's background in kites, the materials and construction techniques were near identical. Thier first customer was Horizon Hobby. They bought one thousand units. Now we're getting requests from California to the Netherlands.

My involvement with DMR is in running the site as web master. Joe gives me the parts and I shoot them and put them on the site. My involvement with PremierRC is helping them with marketing and communication materials and strategies.

The coolest part is that I don't get paid - with money that is.  :t2030: I have several racing drones and enough components to build at least two more. Along with those, I also now have a complete set of race gates. Combine that with the area I have at my disposal and well, hopefully this is the summer where I can get good enough to join the DMR race team.

Sorry for the long explanation, but you asked for it. I don't mean to brag or anything as I am very blessed and fortunate to have made these connections and all at a time on my life when I have the time to do it.

I really would like to get my UAS (?) license - just in case - and put my 550 to use filming the races I plan to hold this summer here at the Rumblecloud Research and Testing Facility  :b0201: :b0201:

And the basement is coming along nicely... :t1815:

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: FPV PilotRC AddictKK2 userMulticopter PilotScrap builds multisBuild helis
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 12:55:01 PM »
Randy,

Great to hear that things are going well.  That is more than cool about your connections with the drone and gate companies.   I'm looking forward to see what you put together this summer for your race course, and I always like your videos.  Good luck with the UAS license--like I've said, it is hard but doable.  I'm sure you won't have any trouble after a little studying. 

As for the racing, I can fly FPV reasonably well now, but I doubt my reflexes are good enough to even stay close to the 20 year old pilots ( or the 40 year olds for that matter).   I think I'll do better taking video and photos.  :t2030:

And for the rest of you that viewed my original post in this thread--let's hear from you!  :t2980: :t2980:

Tom

Offline AKPhill

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: multicopter goldCX 450HK 450RC AddictCriusMulti PilotHeli BuilderOld Fart
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 12:19:15 AM »
Well haven't flown in a year .
Spent last summer updating the equipment here
Did a few bike rides
Did way too much painting on campers and equipment
And I need to buy a bunch of battery's to power the quads and heli's.
But I do keep up on what everyone does here.
But on another note I did buy another Harley last week. :headslap:

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 09:14:04 AM »
 :t2980:
Where's the pics Phil?? Stop holding out  :face-slap: :face-slap:

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 03:15:39 PM »
Here's a recent vid of Beastmode with his Tiny Whoop:

No Mustangs were harmed during the filing of this video.vc :b0201:

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 07:22:30 PM »
Whoa!!  That was some real flying!!  Holy Chit!! :t2980: :t2980: :t2980: :t2980:

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 10:56:03 PM »
Work, Doggies & Life are whats going on here....   I am glad some of us are able to get out and fly...  :t2980:

So please keep the videos coming, that's all I get right now...  :face-slap: :headslap: :b0201: :b0201:

Good to hear from you Phil, miss the northern lights pictures also....  :t2030: :t2030:

BTW, my baby girl turns 16 on Monday the 20th... And she just had her 1st full day at her new job...  :t2321: They grow up toooo fast.......

:coolguy:

PS: Tom if you think this forum has slowed way down, the guides are pretty much a Ghost Town now...  :0042v1: :b0708:

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 08:05:42 AM »
Dave,

Good to hear from you.  Hope you get a chance to do some flying soon.  Most of my flights are pretty boring lately, as I'm using DroneDeploy to map some properties for friends.  With those flights I basically just watch the P4 fly it's programmed route, staying ready to take over is something goes wrong, but not even touching the sticks unless something happens.

Haven't been to the Guides in a long time.

Tom

Offline jbrumberg

• Forum Zombies
  • Awards: SleepswithfishMulti Pilotoldfart
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 03:12:07 PM »
February was a "bad" month for a variety of reasons.  :headslap:  I am now completely off of Prednisone the dosing taper and withdrawal was "interesting  :b0708:"; an aging out-of-state family member (the last remaining), an aging ancient (10.5 year old) St. Bernard who needs a lot of care and attention; catastrophic failure of our central heating (It worked fine at -23F.)  :0042v1:; one car breaking down in the middle of the night in the middle of Nowheresville :0042v1:, and lots of snow to manage around here at JaysterAcres :t110007: :t110007:.

I have not done anything "RC" for ~9 months except post on the "Wheezing Geezer Whine, Bitch, and Moan About Everything" thread at RCG. I have not been able to go down to my "airfield" w/o snowshoes and/or crampons most of the Winter.  :t110007: :t110007:.  I am starting to look at upgrades to the "Flying Cuisinart" (gimbal, new battery pack "carriage" which I am trying to figure out).  I may need to  replace my new D3542/4 1450 KV motors with the additional AUW.  :headslap:

Offline AKPhill

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: multicopter goldCX 450HK 450RC AddictCriusMulti PilotHeli BuilderOld Fart
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 04:34:22 AM »
Well I guess this is the most exciting thing this last week lol
Electraglide ultra limited.
It is a used bike a 2011 but only 29,000 miles on it I have more than that on my bike up here .

Have to fly down to Oregon to pick it up and then drive it back up here  should be a good trip.  :t2030:

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 08:34:54 AM »
Good trip indeed. Should be a blast. How many miles will that add to the odometer? And you might wanna take some pics and post em if you think about it...please :t2981:

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 05:04:08 PM »
Thanks Tom.... The weather has been crazy here, 2 weeks ago it hit 80 degrees, 2 or 3 days later we had snow covering the ground, this last week has been cold and today it is in the low 80's again.... but the wind has been the killer, crazy weather....  :frokkelled: :0042v1:

Jay, good to here from you sir, wow!!! if it wasn't for bad luck, well you wouldn't have had any last month....  :b0703: :b0708:...  Hope it gets to going better for you now....

Phil, Yes, please pictures and a gorgeous new ride indeed.... Safe ride back and flight....  :t2030: :t2030:

:coolguy:

Offline AKPhill

• Multirotor Expert
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 09:13:10 PM »
ok thanks guys.
 Yes I will try to get some pics of the trip .

It will add some 3,000 miles to the bike od
Should be a good vacation :winky:

Offline jbrumberg

• Forum Zombies
  • Awards: SleepswithfishMulti Pilotoldfart
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 01:29:56 PM »
Phil-  Have a safe return trip and take a lot of pictures.  :t2030:

Dave-  Thanks.  the month was a series of ongoing aggravations. The furnace took over a week to repair with daily visits from the furnace techs.  Thank goodness for the wood stove. Our homeowner's insurance paid ~80%.  :t2030:  I spent $1000 for the "human/animal safe" antifreeze for the baseboard heating.  For a while our hot tap water was foaming off the tap and after the first round of antifreeze was added our hot tap water turned a fizzing hot pink (= catastrophic water heater failure).  The original antifreeze slowly leaked out into the hot water until the baseboard pipes froze which wiped out the plumbing relays, the computer mother board controlling the central heating system, etc.  :headslap:

I hope that I never, ever see another prescription for Prednisone.