Author Topic: Quanum FPV DIY kit  (Read 18718 times)

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
  • Awards: KK2Heli Pilot SilverHelicopter SilverRC AddictMulti Pilot BronzeOld Farts ClubMulti Pilot Bronze
Re: Quanum FPV DIY kit
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2015, 12:18:17 PM »
Nice setup Tom, I think you'll like it. One question, when I got mine I got a video switcher board with it. The purpose of the board was to enable the use of another camera mounted to the front of the headset to allow you to switch from the FPV camera to the external view camera. I can't get mine to work and apparently I'm not the only one. I didn't see it in the photo of everything you got so I was just wondering.

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: FPV PilotRC AddictKK2 userMulticopter PilotScrap builds multisBuild helis
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2015, 12:25:21 PM »
Al,

I got it, just haven't hooked it up.  I don't have a spare camera at the moment, but I may get one and hook it up if it looks like I'll need it.

Tom
"Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground"

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
  • Awards: KK2Heli Pilot SilverHelicopter SilverRC AddictMulti Pilot BronzeOld Farts ClubMulti Pilot Bronze
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2015, 12:54:15 PM »
OK Tom, I'll be curious to see if yours works. I'm going to send mine back and see if they send me a new one.

Thanks
Al

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2016, 11:23:51 AM »
Well, I finally got the Quanum V2 goggles and got them put together over the weekend.  I think I'm going to like them.  With the Fresnel lens that was supplied (one of three, all of which seem the same to me) it is very light and the picture is fairly sharp.  Not as good as the Harbor Freight lens, but much lighter.  I also got the FR632 diversity receiver and an Aomway patch antenna.  The jury is still out on how well this system is going to work compared to my V1 goggles and 832 RX, but we'll see.  Anyway, here are some pics of the setup:

Tom, Are you using the googles with these, or will your glasses fit inside them?????????? :b0708:

:coolguy:

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: FPV PilotRC AddictKK2 userMulticopter PilotScrap builds multisBuild helis
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2016, 12:03:01 PM »
Dave,

I don't need the ski goggles with the V2, and my glasses do fit inside.  However, I don't wear the setup, since I prefer to have it mounted on a tripod that I can just lean into from a sitting position.  I ended up taking the glove off the goggles and just strapping down the foam frame to a platform on the tripod.  I like that setup very well.

Tom

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2016, 03:22:15 PM »
That's what I think I'm going to do too Tom. I get a pretty clear picture if I use them more like a screen than goggles. If I put them on like goggles the screen gets blurry and out of focus. Is that what you're saying Tom?  :t2030:

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2016, 07:28:12 PM »
Thanks Tom, I hope I can make them work, if not then I will go to the tripod method I guess... I have everything working with the FPV, just can't see anything...    :frokkelled: :0042v1: :b0201: :b0201:

:coolguy:

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2016, 05:30:18 AM »
That's what I think I'm going to do too Tom. I get a pretty clear picture if I use them more like a screen than goggles. If I put them on like goggles the screen gets blurry and out of focus. Is that what you're saying Tom?  :t2030:

Not exactly, I could wear them as goggles if I wanted to, but I don't like the weight and I like to be able to pull away and look up or around if I want to.  I don't look up to fly any more, though it was helpful when I was first learning to fly FPV, but I like to be able to quickly see what's around me, whether it's neighbors or a car, or whatever.  As for focal length, the tripod may help you there, as you could add layers of foam to extend the focal length and still have an "immersive" flight.

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2016, 04:19:38 PM »
Al,

I got it, just haven't hooked it up.  I don't have a spare camera at the moment, but I may get one and hook it up if it looks like I'll need it.

Tom

Tom, I bought a 12v camera and configured the board and it worked great until I broke the board. I was working on changing the acrylic lenses and slipped and broke the push button switch off of the board.  :frokkelled: But it doesn't really matter cause I don't thing I'm going to be able to use the setup as goggles but a screen instead kinda like you were saying.

Here is my thread on hooking it up.

http://rumblecloud.com/rumblecloudrc/index.php?topic=2678.0
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:26:31 PM by Bigal1951 »

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2016, 06:00:45 AM »
Al,

Here's my latest FPV setup with the Quanum V2 goggles:

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:04:45 AM by boykintom »

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2016, 09:28:05 AM »
Nice set up Tom!

I like the dual antennas so you covered in every direction. :t2030:

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2016, 05:16:52 PM »
RC,

It works well.  The patch antenna adds a lot of range, but only if you're in the right direction.

Tom

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2016, 08:19:37 PM »
Nice setup Tom, I think I might do something like that.  :t2030:

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2016, 03:45:00 AM »
Go for it Al, it's easy, and you can cheat a little on focal length if you need to by pulling your face back from the goggles.  I don't need to do that with this setup, as the stock acrylic lens works pretty well for me, but you have that option this way.

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2016, 05:52:19 PM »
That's exactly what I need to do Tom. If I pull my head back a couple of inches from the goggles the screen gets clear but when I put the goggles on it gets blurry.  That's why I need to build something like you did to hold the goggles for me.  :t2030: