Author Topic: Planning for a long UP flight, camping, hiking...  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
  • Awards: MulticopterCentury ClubRC AddictPlanker Builder GoldHelicopter Gold
Re: Planning for a long UP flight, camping, hiking...
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 08:08:23 PM »
Camping the first night

Sunset view over Munising on way to pictured rocks

Pictured rocks at sunset

Indian head on the way north Fri AM

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 08:30:42 PM »
Getting fuel at Sawyer the first time of the day (we came back 3hr later for more)

Now here is an interesting one!!  This is Lake Gribben:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Gribben

Heading up the Keweenaw bay to Manitou and Copper Harbor.  Look them up, it's WAY up there!  Only one ariport in the area and it's 50 miles south!!

Gull Rock lighthouse / Manitou Island

Copper Harbor

We flew over but did not get a picture of this old abandoned radar station.  It was about creepy out there in the middle of nothing, looks like they just walked away from it 30yr ago and let everything sit...which is exactly what they did!!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calumet_Air_Force_Station  There are so many old abandoned military sites up there, they are creepily intriguing to look at and read the history of.  There was a ball field and bunch of duplexes where the staff lived north of all the radar towers. 

We saw this old dredge slumped over about 30 deg right across the road from a very old abandoned factory right off the departure end of the runway at Houghton.  Amazing how long stuff like this just sits there for decades and no one messes with it up there!

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 08:37:50 PM »
On our way into Beaver Island, we flew over this tiny little island just to the east.  Hardly big enough for a runway, it's privately owned and I'm told by other pilots that it is manned all the time and if you try to land there, they will drive a large truck or two onto the runway to block you.  They do not want anyone in there.

Cooking some dogs over a fire

Camp all set up for the night before the thunderstorms hit

Ah!  Look what I found!  This will get us home in a hurry!

Sunset on the ramp at Beaver Island

Coming home VFR on top this afternoon

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 11:54:43 PM »
 :t2980: Very nice pics Wayne.

Looks like a super fun trip. Were you doing most of the flying? I assume you were. That last one was awesome over the clouds.

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 05:37:53 AM »
Nope RC, you would be wrong, I did not do most of the flying.  The guy with me is finishing up his instrument rating, so he did a lot of the enroute flying under the hood, so I was responsible to scan for, see, and avoid other traffic.  He did most if not all the talking to ATC as well as he needs the practice, though he did not understand some of the clearances, so I translated for him and then also gave him some instruction on which freq to call when and what they would be expecting him to say...  It just takes time and experience to get radio comms down to the most concise they can be and polish your technique so you sound like a jet jock.  Let's see, first day I did the landing in Munising and the takeoff for our evening flight, but he did the second landing into there.  I also took the controls during flight for him to get pictures and video out of his side or to put his foggles on our take them off...  I don't have to be the one manipulating the controls to gain experience from the flight, which is a good thing since I'm an instructor and the goal is to get the other guy on the controls as much as possible.  Coming out of Beaver Island yesterday, I thought I heard some engine noise that was out of the ordinary.  Since we were going to be 20+ miles over water, beyond glide, I suggested we turn around for a precautionary landing, at which point he insisted I take the controls, which I was happy to do.  We checked everything over, did not find any issues, so I did the takeoff and initial climbout from the island and did not feel or hear anything further.

One of the best pictures I missed was just of the coast of Alpena.  We were both looking at something on the shoreline, then I turned back to my right to scan for traffic and saw TWO C-130s opposite direction, about 200' above us (which is CLOSE when you are in the air).  Pretty sweet view, but no time at all to grab the camera with the closure rate probably > 300 knots! 

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2015, 06:21:25 AM »
Loved the Pics Wayne, glad you had a good time and safe trip...  :t2030: :t2030:

:coolguy:

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 01:59:25 PM »
Well, let's bring an old topic back from the dead shall we?  I just went to get my camcorder for my daughters swim meet today and realized I never did pull the video from this trip off it.  So, here it is!

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 11:22:51 AM »
Very nice Wayne, thanks for sharing....  :t2030:

:coolguy: