Author Topic: DVR for recording FPV flights  (Read 997 times)

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
  • Awards: KK2Heli Pilot SilverHelicopter SilverRC AddictMulti Pilot BronzeOld Farts ClubMulti Pilot Bronze
DVR for recording FPV flights
« on: September 20, 2016, 07:41:32 PM »
I'm looking for an option for recording my FPV flights. I know there has been some discussion before on the use of a DVR as opposed to an extra on board camera such as the Mobius. The problem with cameras like the Mobius or Runcam is the size. With the smaller FPV racers it's getting harder to find room to mount one of them. I have a 180 and there is no place that I am comfortable to mount a fairly expensive camera and I just ordered the mini FPV FrSky quad which certainly isn't going to carry a camera. I guess what I'm looking for is anyone that has used one of these DVR's and what was the results? I am looking at this one, if anyone has any experience with it I would appreciate some feedback.

http://www.banggood.com/Mini-DVR-Video-Audio-Recorder-For-FPV-Multicopters-p-1021117.html

Doesn't look too bad here.

:t2030:   :t2981:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 09:08:31 PM by Bigal1951 »

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
Re: DVR for recording FPV flights
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 08:35:04 AM »
If you can obtain that quality in that video, go for it.

Remember, this is not plug and play stuff. you will be doing some soldering.
More than likely there will be static in the video broadcast. If you look at the vif I posted yesterday on Streamer Chasing, Take note of some segments in the vid by "JEFFPV." Most likely, this is what you will get.

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
  • Awards: KK2Heli Pilot SilverHelicopter SilverRC AddictMulti Pilot BronzeOld Farts ClubMulti Pilot Bronze
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 10:16:45 AM »
Yeah, I figure it isn't going to be great quality but I just ordered one of those FrSky mini quads and this is the only way to get video that I can think of. How did you mount the camera on my 180 when you did those videos? On top of the battery is the only way I could figure unless you mounted it underneath and I'm not that brave.

Do you know what DVR he was using?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:52:03 PM by Bigal1951 »

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 03:53:19 PM »
Hey Al,
When I mounted the Mobius on the 180, I used a smaller sized 4-cell batt and mounted both on the top level. The mob did stick out the front a little. All the folks I know who fly the 180s strap  the batt to the bottom and mount anything else on the top.

I have to ask Jeff what he was using. I'll let you know. Most likely it was a similar unit from RMRC -- more expensive I am sure than BangGood.

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 11:17:48 PM »
Well, it will be a little tricky running the wires but the length of the Mobius is 1.9 inches and the weight is 37 grams. That puts the camera just about to the front edge of the quad and if I run the battery right up to the back of the camera, the quad balances perfectly. The only bad thing is if I nose it in the battery is going to crush the camera.   :b0703: :b0703:

I could deal with strapping the battery to the bottom if necessary. Maybe a small set of skids?

I don't know how good of a quality this camera puts out but it's a lot smaller than the Mobius. The other reason I'm looking at the DVR is for the mini quad I'm getting.

http://www.banggood.com/New-Hawkeye-Firefly-Q6-4K-HD-Mini-FPV-Camera-with-120-Degree-Wide-Lens-without-Distortion-p-1084512.html
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:44:50 PM by Bigal1951 »

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 09:58:41 AM »
I checked with the boys and most of them use their FPV goggles to do the recording. Apparently I am not as up to date as they are cuz I didn't even know that was possible.

ppppffffhhhhtttt

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 05:07:16 AM »
I checked with the boys and most of them use their FPV goggles to do the recording. Apparently I am not as up to date as they are cuz I didn't even know that was possible.

ppppffffhhhhtttt

:b0201: :b0201: :b0201: :face-slap: :face-slap: :b0209:

Wait.... can you find out how that works???  :b0708:

:coolguy:

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 01:33:13 PM »
I'd like to know how they do that too.  :t2030:

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 10:12:27 AM »

ppppffffhhhhtttt

I would think you're talking about something like these.

http://www.banggood.com/Skyzone-SKY02-V3-5_8G-32CH-AIO-3D-FPV-Goggles-Only-Video-Glasses-Headset-p-1003542.html?rmmds=category

I wonder how the quality of these compare to the external DVR.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 10:15:11 AM by Bigal1951 »

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 02:03:51 PM »
Well, the adapter I am looking at is simply a recorder. It taps into the FPV camera signal and records it to a removable flash drive. Since it fits my older Fat Shark goggles and is only $30 bucks, I can't see any reason why not.

But the other options work well too.

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 04:22:53 PM »
Well, the adapter I am looking at is simply a recorder. It taps into the FPV camera signal and records it to a removable flash drive. Since it fits my older Fat Shark goggles and is only $30 bucks, I can't see any reason why not.

But the other options work well too.

So you think it's basically something like this?