Author Topic: as3xtra upgrade  (Read 342 times)

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
  • Awards: MulticopterCentury ClubRC AddictPlanker Builder GoldHelicopter Gold
as3xtra upgrade
« on: February 21, 2017, 07:27:03 PM »
Ok, so I've been flying this little parkzone as3xtra for two indoor seasons now.  I've had a lot of fun and with the electronics, I can actually fly 3D!  Well, they are not good structurally.  I've been wanting to upgrade it for quite a while because it hardly has enough power to really do 3D.  You can go hard about the first 1-2 min of a GOOD battery, but after that, it's pretty limited.  I've been converting the rest of my micro fleet to brushless this year and now the only brushed plank I have left is the as3xtra, but I know going brushless on the stock airframe will do nothing but rip the wings off since I almost did that with the stock motor!

SO...a build is necessary.  Less than a week ago, I set out on the internet to see if anyone had plans so I would not have to trace my own.  Yep!  Bonus!  I grabbed them and headed to the printer and got a couple copies printed out full size.  Next, off to the dollar store for a couple pieces of foam board and...UNINFLATED BALLOONS!!  I cut out the print, traced it on the board and got to work.  UGH!  Tedious!  LOTS of cutouts!  All necessary though.

Old and new.  The stock plane FLIGHT WEIGHT is 35g!  I was hoping to get it in at 50g total flight weight and we ARE going to 2S, with early plans to generate 90g of thrust.

It was about this time I had to get another order into HK for more micro elements.  One of the hardest pieces I have sourcing is prop savers for 1.5mm shafts!  They give you a VERY nice one with the AP05 motor, but I can't afford to buy 10 of those at $15 each to just get prop savers!  I have that motor on my T-28 and it rocks, so that was one of the motors on my list...along with a few ESCs and other necessities for working with micros.

Well, the covered airframe came in at 34g, so I thought we were on track.  Before you say something about the control surfaces...Look underneath the fuse!  They are there, they just are not mounted yet.

Well, the electronics are always a trick, aren't they?  It didn't take me too long to get the as3x brick in brushless mode, it is really the same as the older parkzone rx, no big surprises.  I got some of those BLheli loaded ESCs on clearance for $1.99 but haven't got one of them to work yet!  I have one more I might fool with, but that was $6 WASTED as far as I can tell.  They spun one of my three motors, but choppy and it was not going to run.  I went on with the HK 15A 2-6S ESC and that ran two of my three motors...It did NOT spin the AP05?!  Go figure...  That's the motor I really wanted to put on this.  They claim it will pull 110g of thrust?  Oh well, I'm down with the Turnigy in the end.  I'm going to try it on a 5" prop first, then probably go back to a 4".  A lot of these 5g suggest a 3" prop, which is just not going to cut it.  You will notice I crowded everything up to the front.  I hope the CG is forward enough.  If not, I'm going to have to start cutting the lower rear fuse off, maybe filling in with a couple of crossed CF bars (tiny ones).

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
Re: as3xtra upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 07:34:11 PM »
Oh, I really screwed up the weight.  She came in 75g total flight weight, BUT I think I am going to get over 100g thrust, so maybe we will be ok?  Only a maiden flight at the indoor fun fly tomorrow will tell!  I'm going to get someone to run the camcorder.  We are going to get the live stream going at some point too.  I have five of those little 2S lipos, all charged and ready to go.  I also have my hyper-drive t-28 and the souped up sukhoi.  MAN that T-28 is a SCREAMER!  There is about nothing else flying in there it can't keep up with, even the ducted A-10 parkzone!

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 07:57:22 AM »
Really nice looking build Wayne. I hope you feel well enough to go test it out.

At first I didn't understand how you would use the balloons until I saw them on the fuse. I thought you meant the blow up balloons and not the helium-filled type -- great idea  :t2030:

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 11:00:21 AM »
Stupid me did not realize there was regular and thin foam safe CA.  I used regular, but on my 2nd build I will be using thin.  I think I will save 2-3g there alone!  I had nightmares last night about shaving off more weight from it.  I felt like I was under such stress to get it done.  Probably my dreams were not helped by having a 201F temp most of the night?  I think I'm getting a little too tightly wound in the build??

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 03:05:15 PM »

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 07:35:40 AM »
I like the balloon wrap idea.... Nice video and very cool landing...  :b0201: :t2030: :t2030: :t2030:

:coolguy:

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 08:31:15 AM »
 :t2030: :t2030:

Looks good Wayne..
There was no one there? Is it like that every Wednesday? Hmmmmmm....thinking about it if the weather turns to poo again i may head up there.

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 12:48:59 PM »
That was early on, we only had probably 8-9 pilots all afternoon, there certainly is plenty of space and time to fly.  Come up this coming Wednesday if you can.  It will probably be my last one of the season as I will be heading off to Chicago for cancer treatment in the next week or so.  I have my second airframe completed this morning and it came in 2g lighter at 32g.  I tried the mylar balloon but thin CA this time and it didn't stick for crap!  I said screw it and used lightweight packing tape just to cover the holes.  I actually have a great idea for the next one, I'll let you guys know how that turns out, but I don't think I will stop building any time soon!

I have more ESCs and motors coming Saturday or Monday.  Got to get the power plant figured out.  5" prop developed plenty of thrust, but is going to burn up that 5.5g motor.  I have a beefier motor ready, but I have to find a speed controller that will drive it (the two I had would not).  I also ordered a couple 200mah batteries today that are 3g heavier, but I need a little more weight on the nose and the 150s are only giving me about 4 min of flight.  I think the 200 would get me more comfortably back up in the 6-7 min range, where I like to be. 

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 08:41:19 PM »
Well, I finished airframe #2 today and we made a little progress, though not intentionally...  I tried sticking the mylar covering with thin foam safe CA this time, but got terrible results.  I stripped it all off (it was coming off on its own anyway) and used very thin packing tape to cover just the areas I needed like the wings and control surfaces.  What I ended up with is 2g lighter than airframe #1!  I went to my LHS to get some more tiny CF rod and other misc building supplies and got hit with an idea like a bolt from the blue on my way home!  Instead of trying to cover, why don't I just leave one side of the paper in tact and cut and remove the other side of the paper and the foam between to get the weight I need?? 

Airframe #2 (with the packing tape)

So when I got home, I started airframe #3.  I have the frame complete, but I still have to cut the control surfaces off, bevel the edges and hinge them, then put the two halves together.  BUT I did put it on the scale and it looks like I will be able to get it down to 29g and it will be the strongest yet!  Man, when I get into something, I just don't quit!!  I'll try to finish it tomorrow and get a pic up and confirm the final weight.

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 08:19:49 PM »
Ok, I never did get to post my airframe #3 I guess, so here is that.  I got it down to 30g, so that's not too bad!  It's certainly going the right direction.  I think it's my strongest airframe and best so far.

While I was home for a day from the hospital last weekend, I was able to solder up my next electronics package.  This is a bigger 200mah 2S lipo with a new 18A ESC!  It's the original 4600kv motor I wanted to run, the one that's supposed to develop about 130g thrust in this config.  So, you take all that at 30g plus a 30g airframe, so even if I end up at 65g finished weight, I'm going to have full 2:1 thrust to weight...Watch out!!

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 08:10:01 AM »
 :t2030:
That frame looks great. Very clean. I like the all white much better than the other. Add some simple visual cues to help you ID it in the air and that'd be it for me.

It should scream.

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 01:12:29 PM »
I love working with the micro electronics when they work like this last one, but when they don't work right or at all, I say a lot of bad words!

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 07:24:40 AM »
Definitely Looking good Wayne, hope to see some video in the coming weeks.....  :t2030:

:coolguy: