Author Topic: Bixler® 2 EPO 1500mm w/Optional Flaps  (Read 5060 times)

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
Bixler® 2 EPO 1500mm w/Optional Flaps
« on: June 10, 2014, 02:09:37 PM »
Some of you know from my posts that I am a Bixler fan, having gone through several of them over the past couple of years. They generally last me thru the summer what with tree trimmings and plowing. By the end of the summer they look like Frankenstein all gorilla-glued back together with duct tape and wires hanging all over the place. I've posted some pics in one of the other threads in this section for Sobodad. That particular Bixler is still flyable although not very attractive to look at, I went ahead and ordered a Bixler 2. Supposedly they had made a number of improvements that were supposed to correct many of the weaknesses found in version 1.

It just came in the mail last Friday and I had a chance to look it over. They did indeed upgrade a number of areas:
They actually hinged the ailerons, elevator and rudder instead of using the foam as the hinge. On the old version that was one of the first things I did.

Looks like they upgraded the horns as well with some heavier duty plastic -- I'll still replace these with the DuBro versions I think, but only after I break the originals.

They have a newer method of connecting the wings in the center, but I haven't had time to check that out yet so we'll see. That was a big weak spot in the old model. The supplied carbon fiber reinforcing rod was useless for me and generally split down the middle when I pulled out of a dive so I replaced it with a solid fiberglass 10mm thick rod. We'll see how the new one reacts. You also had to glue picture hanger hooks to the bottoms of the wings and use rubber bands to connect them to help keep the wings centered and held together. It looks like in the new design they have a new attaching plate -hmmmm.

They've cleaned up the molding and it looks much cleaner and a nicer build. Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend take some comparison shots and post them. the Bix is a great beginner plane and an excellent FPV and aerial photography platform - the latter especially true for higher altitude, large tracts of land (SKYSURFER).

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Men and Their Flying Machines Somewhere Over OZ
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
Re: Bixler® 2 EPO 1500mm w/Optional Flaps
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 05:16:37 PM »
Pictures, Pictures, Pictures, Where are the pictures :face-slap:

A Bixler crossed my mind awhile back, I'm thinking more stick flyer!!!  :scratching_chin1:

:coolguy:   ***Ice***

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline wizzard363

• Airplane Expert
  • Awards: Planker pilotPlanker builder
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 03:03:11 AM »
Heard mixed reports on Bix 2 , will be good to see what you think after flying it

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 07:28:31 AM »
Well I have a lot of experience with the Bixler 1  :b0201: so I should be able to give it a good run down.

I will post some picks and comparisons when I get the chance. I tried to take some last night to post today but they just didn't turn out right (I was rushing).

But, the Bix 2 has optional flaps so I will be tugging on your shirt sleeve asking questions:

Flaperons! WTF
Elevons! Ummm...

Combine that with the Taranis set-up and I might be in for some trouble.

Offline wizzard363

• Airplane Expert
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 09:29:39 AM »
Having flaps and a good tx will give you the opportunity to experiment with a few different tings .
If flaps have the ability to move up as well as down you can try mixing them with ailerons so you have full length aileron , crow braking , reflex and camber . You will need at least an 8 ch RX so each wing servo has its own separate channel (you can still do crow , reflex and camber with flap servos on a Y lead but ailerons must be separate channel)
Flaperons is just ailerons both going down to act as flaps and is usually only used on models that do not have flaps fitted
Elevons are ailerons used as elevator and are for delta wing models with no tail fins . You can however try snap flaps , you use the ailerons and flaps to work with the elevator for tighter loops (again all wing servos need a separate channel for this to be possible)
Its quite simple really  :scratching_chin1:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:31:52 AM by wizzard363 »

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 10:00:24 AM »
full length aileron...crow braking...reflex...camber...flap servos on a Y lead...but ailerons must be separate channel)...Flaperons is just ailerons both going down to act as flaps and is usually only used on models that do not have flaps fitted...Elevons are ailerons used as elevators... snap flaps... Its quite simple really 

:face-slap: :b0209:

Offline Sobodad

• Helicopter Pilot
  • Awards: Scale heliHelicopter GoldPowered Glider
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 08:28:11 PM »
Hey RC ..

I got Two Bixler2's about 2-3 weeks ago and I must say they were very clean and easy builds.
Mine was just the kit without the electrics (had servos installed) and the 2nd for a friend that came with everything.

Pros for me: This being my 1st plank ..
The centre join of the wings is great, nice and tight and held in place with 2 screws into plastic re-enforced mounts. (Can be removed for easy storage/travel)
Hinges were pre-fitted to Elevator / Rudder / Flaps.
Everything just fits together as it should. No cutting or modifying was needed.

Cons for me:
Y splitter for Ailerons to short, making it very difficult to feed servo wires through the body. (Easy fix with an extension though)
Ailerons which are one of the most important of all the moving parts on the plane, do not have hinges. (Although you say yours does, maybe they changed this after mine shipped)
Tail section is 'glued' solid. meaning no disassemble for storage / travel, making this a possible damage point to/from the flying field.
No-where in the instructions I got, does it say anything about having to glue / tape the foam into the channel cut out for the fibre rod / servo wires in the wings. (common sense here)
The TX that came with the 2nd one, was completely wrongly configured and had to be fixed via shotty PC software that I had to Google how to use because there were no instructions at all.

Overall, I am very happy with the Bix2, I spent many hours looking at videos of peoples Mods and working out if I should do any of them.
In the end I have decided to just fly it as it is and see how it goes, with the exception of some re-enforcing of wings / under body with clear fibre packing tape for durability.

Now I just have to wait for a calm / dry day to get out and actually see how it will fly ...
Its been like this almost every day since the Bix turned up ..  :t110007:  :t110011:  :t111077:
Coax: Hunt Eagle V1 .. NE Solo V2
FP: NE Solo Pro V1 .. Walkera V200D02
CP: NE Solo Pro 180 3D .. Esky Belt CP 450 .. Esky Belt CPv2 450
CP: MSH Protos 500 .. MSH Protos 500 Airwolf Fuse
CP: JR Venture .30 Gasser
Quad: QR Ladybird V2 (x2) .. Turnigy SK450 .. AR Drone V1
Plank: Bixler v2

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 09:01:09 PM »
Hey Sobo,
As far as the hinges go, I'm a newb at this as well,  so I may have identified them wrong in my ignorance. But the Bix 2 that I have has two sets of wiggly things on each wing. One of them is cut and hinged and the other is an option that is not cut or hinged. They leave that up to you. The lines are pre-scored and there is a spot under wing to insert a servo. One of them is a flap and the other is an aileron I guess -- :t2954:

I did just what you did with mine. I reinforced things and flew it till something broke then modded that part and so on.

Thanks for the cons, I'll be watching for those when I get to putting it together.

Offline Sobodad

• Helicopter Pilot
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 09:34:43 PM »
Ailerons are the outer one, Flaps are the inner ones ..

On both of mine, the Flaps are still solid moulded and need to be cut out if I want to use them.
But they have 3 plastic hinges already pre-installed on each one.

The Ailerons just have the crappy foam hinge along the full length of them.
I am guessing mine were Friday afternoon jobs and in their haste to get to the pub, some-one read the instructions wrong.  :b0201:

One more CON to add to my list:

As the Bixler is a 'Belly Lander' .. Why the hell are the servos / links, mounted "under" the wings ?
Would it not make more sense to put these over the wing so they don't get damaged ?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:37:14 PM by Sobodad »

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 09:59:05 PM »
 :b0201:
That's like totally opposite of the way it's supposed to be. :headslap:

Good point on the servos. Hadn't thought of that one. I just used the 2-pound horns and control rods from DuBro. I've had the ailerons rip off and those things have stayed in one piece still attached.

Offline Diggiz

• 3D Heli Pilot
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 02:11:17 AM »
I cant wait for mine to show up now. The more I read the more excited im getting to fly my first planie glidery thing. :b0201:
What exactly is it considered anyway?
Ive read to reinforce the wing spar with a 4mm CF rod inside the 6mm one that comes with it. Im guna put one the underside of the tail flap as well and then the Extreme packing tape over here and there. Excuse my lack of plane terminology.
Ill be using my dx6i and from what ive found about the using the flaps (which is bugger all) I run the flaps off my Aux and gear channel on rx. If someone knows what Im talking about let me know.   As for the flaps themselves they are like air brakes so to speak?
Chuck em on before you land?
Oh well Il stop asking so many questions, Post some pics and tips RC when you put her together and any findings.

Cheers Gav
Love to fly, If only there were more hours in a day!!

Tarot 500esp Fbl and Tarot v2
Bixler 2 on the way
Dx6i

Offline Sobodad

• Helicopter Pilot
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 03:49:06 AM »
Hey Dig, my mate where I was flying yesterday said I should not use the Flaps ..

His reasoning was along the lines of as it's a foamy and very little weight, the flaps may cause unwanted effects as you come in to land.
Such as slowing it down to much, to a point where it simply loses any lift it had to maintain a steady descent for landing.
I don't know if he is correct or not, but he has been building and selling Planes / Helis since before the turn of the century.
Even the guys at Flight Test suggested they weren't really needed and they would only be good if you needed to make landings in a very short space.

With my 1st ever plank flight, I managed to make several smooth landings on a 50m strip yesterday without flaps and had no problems of running out of runway.
So I'm just leaving them as a fixed part and not cutting them out.

Offline wizzard363

• Airplane Expert
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 04:59:19 AM »
I would treat the flaps as a learning tool rather than a necessity .
Flaps will cause a model to pitch up if it a high wing or down if its a low wing . Most radios allow for elevator - fap mixing so any pitching caused by flaps  will be corrected with the elevator . There is no set amount as every model is different but I find 8% elevator to flap is a good start and then fine tune the mix after testing.
A bixler should not need flaps but they can make a model more fun to play with eg. steep slow dives with full flap mean you can be 100ft above the end of the strip , put the flaps down then do a vertical dive and still be able to make the landing zone as the model will not pick up much speed .
Even if they are used for landings you can set up how much of a angle they go to so if 20 degrees does enough to slow the model then set them at 20 degrees . If more is needed then add more and reduce if less is needed.
If the flaps cause the model to stop then that just means you have them set too low and you should reduce the travel .
If speed does drop too much with flaps down the model will still respond to throttle so when making your first test flight  deploy the flaps when you are 3 mistakes high to allow you time to react to any problems
One of the first things you should learn with any new plane is its stall speed and always make sure you stay above it . Most newbie crashes I see and I did were/are caused by slowing down too much in turns and when coming in to land causing the plane to stall and drop a wing . If this happens up high you have time to correct , down low and its a crash

Offline Diggiz

• 3D Heli Pilot
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 05:29:21 AM »
Thanks guys. I think I will set them up and have them working and have a play with them, If i dont need them at this point in time I will just not use them.
I think i have a bit of learning to do, I keep reading about stalling. What exactly is this, To me It sounds like the engine is cut and you fall out the sky?   On the sim I cruze around on bugger throttle quite low and can turn fine with ailerons but If I turn to sharp it will go sideways (wing down in to the ground) Is this the stalling you are talking about?
Love to fly, If only there were more hours in a day!!

Tarot 500esp Fbl and Tarot v2
Bixler 2 on the way
Dx6i

Offline wizzard363

• Airplane Expert
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 05:40:37 AM »
Stalling is when the airflow over the wing reduces to the point that the wing can't generate lift , this happens at low speed .
Planes will all glide and do not need the motor to be running to stay in the air but they do need to be moving with enough airspeed to keep sufficient air flow passing over the wings to maintain lift
Remember air speed and ground speed are different .