Author Topic: Are you going to get windows 10 ,what is your thoughts  (Read 11176 times)

Offline tntrcnutz

• Helicopter Pilot
  • TIM AND TINA ARE RADIO CONTROL NUTZ
    • My YouTube Videos
  • Awards: Planker pilotPlanker builderoldfartRC AddictHeli PilotHeli Builder
Are you going to get windows 10 ,what is your thoughts
« on: June 28, 2015, 03:10:23 PM »
As some of you may know already Windows 10 is coming out on JULY 29 2015. My pc now has an ap placed on the bottom right of the task bar that came as a windows update ,I believe. I did some research and went ahead and reserved my download. Don't think I will give up 7 just yet . I am going to wait a while and see if anyone is having problems with it before I decide to install it . I don't like the fact that some of the features will be gone like Media player and a couple of other things and , my partition to restore to factory default will be gone. Microsoft claims that there will be another way to restore your system in case of tragedy

I started this so opinions , thoughts , insights , what you think the pro's and cons are and so on.
Is anyone here already using 10 in beta or other forms. Tell us your thoughts.

:coolguy:
TNT

IF FLYING R.C. WAS ILLEGAL... HER AND I WOULD BE CAREER CRIMINALS

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
Re: Are you going to get windows 10 ,what is your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 04:42:07 PM »
I'm sticking with Win8 for as long as I can... :Tongue:

Offline Sobodad

• Helicopter Pilot
  • Awards: Scale heliHelicopter GoldPowered Glider
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 06:42:00 PM »
I have been a part of the Windows 10 beta testing for about 12 months now ..
When it began last year, it was just a pile of glitches and bugs but there was some small glimmers of 'oh yeah' ..
Each new Beta release has seen fixes as well as introduced more bugs for us to enjoy ..

Overall though, I have to say it has been a very good experience with more 'pluses' than negatives.
The current build I am running is the final 'beta' before launch and I must say it is exceptionally well done.
I have not encountered any OS breaking bugs and it works with 100% of the software / hardware I have tried without even a hickup.

I have been a lover of Windows 7 and still used it on all but my main Gaming/Work PC which has been on Win10 for about 6 months solid.
Over the past 2 months I have also test Win10 on my other PCs, Laptop and Tablets, all with very high success rates.
I also tried Windows 8 with all its hippie Metro interface and all I can say is the Devs must have been on some seriously good weed when they decided that was a 'great idea' ..

Although Windows 8 is popular for about 30% of the population, Microsoft themselves have stated Win8 was a failure and they want people to stop using it.
There was way too many functions removed from the OS that people used in the attempt to make it 'Trendy' and it just didn't get the foothold they wanted.

Windows 10 has been a fantastic experience to test and I have to say there is absolutely NO reason to not upgrade to it.
Its extremely stable and very fast, I have had zero compatibility issues and everything simply works without problems.
It has gone back to mostly the Windows 7 interface and functionality, but has Windows 8 capabilities.
But at the same time if you preffer the Win8 interface, it's a simple click of a box and you have it.
Windows 10 is literally a Love Child of Win7 / Win8, with all the awesomeness of both combined into one, but with cybernetic enhancements  :t2980:

Win10 is FREE for anyone running Win7 or Win8.
Personally I think you would be silly not to upgrade and the only reason I would think you do not, is if you have current Software/Hardware that will not work.
In my personal experience over the past year, I have not found a single program or piece of hardware that didn't work.

I will be changing all my PC's, Laptops and Tablets over to Windows10 on day 1 and I will be like   :drool:

[edit]Sorry I got a little carried away there, but I figured an explanation as to why is better than a simple Yes/No answer.
No I do not work for Micro$oft or any of it's affiliates ..
This is my personal opinion based on my own experience, so  :b0209: :b0209: to all the haters .

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:51:56 PM by Sobodad »
Coax: Hunt Eagle V1 .. NE Solo V2
FP: NE Solo Pro V1 .. Walkera V200D02
CP: NE Solo Pro 180 3D .. Esky Belt CP 450 .. Esky Belt CPv2 450
CP: MSH Protos 500 .. MSH Protos 500 Airwolf Fuse
CP: JR Venture .30 Gasser
Quad: QR Ladybird V2 (x2) .. Turnigy SK450 .. AR Drone V1
Plank: Bixler v2

Offline AKPhill

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: multicopter goldCX 450HK 450RC AddictCriusMulti PilotHeli BuilderOld Fart
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:59:16 PM »
Just don't know had to put 2 os on this computer because 7 wouldn't run xp programs  so hope I dont have issues with that too

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:14:23 AM »
I never said I liked Win8 - in fact I hate it. The only reason I was gonna hang on to it for as long as I could was out of fear that the "new" edition would try to make the old edition better and in doing so would F it up even more.

If 10 is as good as you say I'll be more than happy to dump 8.

Thank you for your review.

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 11:06:57 AM »
I have windows 7 and I finally got used to it and like it now, but I hate change (OCD thing lol)...  My Wife has Windows 8 and is really good (most of the time) with puters and still doesn't understand windows 8 and we both hate it, every time I have to use hers I have to ask her how to get on the internet...  :face-slap: :b0201: :b0201:

She does ALL the Downloading/Uploading (what ever you call it) on the puters, me, not so much... But I can take them apart and change stuff and put them back together no problems....  :evil:

So I will have her read this and we both may upgrade to it....  :undecided:

But like Randy said, Thanks for the review, that was some very helpful info....  :t2946:

BTW: if something ever happened to her I would have to go back to stone tablets and a chisel.....   :b0209: :b0201: :b0201:

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
  • Awards: MulticopterCentury ClubRC AddictPlanker Builder GoldHelicopter Gold
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 01:57:50 PM »
I'm sticking with Windows 7 as long as possible.  10 should be ok because MS gets it right every other try typically, but early adopters always get screwed!  Wait until at least SP2  :headslap:

Offline tntrcnutz

• Helicopter Pilot
    • My YouTube Videos
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 03:32:06 PM »
I like 7 a lot as most of you do but my biggest fear is losing the factory restore setting.......
it was really handy a couple of times.
 I don't mind changing over , it's the new learning curve that goes with it.
 If it comes to it and all else fails,  I still have my 7 os disk
and  would have to get a new key ( unless any one knows how to get around that ) if all else fails

a lot of good input here ......... got me thinkin now

:scratching_chin1:

Offline tntrcnutz

• Helicopter Pilot
    • My YouTube Videos
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 03:41:23 PM »
I like 7 a lot as most of you do but my biggest fear is losing the factory restore setting.......
it was really handy a couple of times.
 I don't mind changing over , it's the new learning curve that goes with it.
 If it comes to it and all else fails,  I still have my 7 os disk
and  would have to get a new key ( unless any one knows how to get around that ) if all else fails

:scratching_chin1:

a lot of good input here ......... got me thinkin now

Offline Sobodad

• Helicopter Pilot
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 06:20:51 PM »
With installing Win10, you can do an upgrade which will keep all your old files and settings and just upgrade the OS.
This worked exceptionally well for me the one time I did it and other than a big Win10 logo whilst loading and some UI changes, it looks and feels just like your previous OS.

For me though I like to start fresh and work out the kinks as I go.
A fresh install of Win10 takes about 10 minutes and its ready to have anything you want thrown at it.
As a reference, it would take me anywhere up to about 5hrs to get Win7 installed and updated before I could really use it.

Another great thing is the 'Recovery' options ..
You can do a complete wipe and refresh your PC to a clean install, this deletes everything that is not Win10 .. (Factory Restore)
You can return to a previous restore point you created, which will undo any changes from that point .. (Roll Back)
Finally you can do a re-install, which will save all your data / files / settings, but replace all Win10 files with fresh copies .. (Recover)

The only bad thing I have found with Win10 is that Microsoft have deemed themselves worthy of restricting some settings that I and millions of others normally change.
Win10 comes with both Internet Explorer 11 and the new Spartan Browser ..
The new 'Spartan' browser is a cut down IE with many many features missing, 'for security/speed' they say. So I don't even use it.
It has no 'HOME' key and the only way to set something similar is to have your homepage as a Favorite, no add-on options to change either.
Also with IE11 they have blocked add-on's like changing default search provider to 'Google' and your stuck with the poor excuse of Bing. (Huge Mistake M$)
As I am one of the 83% of people that use Google for searching the web, these two reasons alone is why I am boycotting IE / Spartan in Win10 and have gone over to Google Chrome.

Anyway, just some more info for folks to think about ..
Time to go to work ..

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
  • Awards: MulticopterCentury ClubRC AddictPlanker Builder GoldHelicopter Gold
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 06:38:27 PM »
If you have 7 now, download and run Belarc Advisor and it will give you the install keys for all your current software:  http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

I HIGHLY SUGGEST doing that before you go wiping it out to load a new OS

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 07:12:38 PM »
The only bad thing I have found with Win10 is that Microsoft have deemed themselves worthy of restricting some settings that I and millions of others normally change.
Win10 comes with both Internet Explorer 11 and the new Spartan Browser ..
The new 'Spartan' browser is a cut down IE with many many features missing, 'for security/speed' they say. So I don't even use it.
It has no 'HOME' key and the only way to set something similar is to have your homepage as a Favorite, no add-on options to change either.
Also with IE11 they have blocked add-on's like changing default search provider to 'Google' and your stuck with the poor excuse of Bing. (Huge Mistake M$)
As I am one of the 83% of people that use Google for searching the web, these two reasons alone is why I am boycotting IE / Spartan in Win10 and have gone over to Google Chrome.

Anyway, just some more info for folks to think about ..
Time to go to work ..

As I said, I am using windows 7 and I also am a Google Chrome user, I am lost on IE and do not like the way it works (It just doesn't make since to my simple mind)... I love Chrome and have tons of stuff book marked on it in all kinds of folders, even all linked to my smart phone...

Question is????? Will the new Windows 10 effect my Chrome?????????????? and the way I have it set up.....?????.....

Offline Sobodad

• Helicopter Pilot
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 06:01:54 AM »
Question is????? Will the new Windows 10 effect my Chrome?????????????? and the way I have it set up.....?????.....

That I cannot 100% say as I was not a Chrome user on Win7.
I had IE11 with the default search provider set to the Google Addon and it was still there when I did the upgrade.
After a clean install of Win10, there is no way possible to set Google Addon as the search provider in IE11, as it is blocked by M$.
(I guess they didn't like the fact nearly everyone used the Google Addon instead of Bing)

I can however confirm 100%, that everything I had installed before I did the 'upgrade' was still exactly as it was before.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 06:04:29 AM by Sobodad »

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: FPV PilotRC AddictKK2 userMulticopter PilotScrap builds multisBuild helis
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 06:21:53 AM »
Hmmm.............I'm way behind the times I see.  I use Windows 7 at work, but still use XP at home. I also use Firefox as my browser, and do all my searching on Google.
"Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground"

Offline AKPhill

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: multicopter goldCX 450HK 450RC AddictCriusMulti PilotHeli BuilderOld Fart
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 02:06:42 PM »
So I guess if I download 10 then I can still use chrome as my default browser ??
I don't exploder for anything so it should be ok then???