Author Topic: Streamer combat build thread  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
  • Awards: MulticopterCentury ClubRC AddictPlanker Builder GoldHelicopter Gold
Streamer combat build thread
« on: May 15, 2016, 05:25:25 PM »
Well, considering is SNOWED here this AM and every time I want to try to go maiden the Giant Stick, it's blowing 100mph straight across the runway, I decided to set it aside for now and build my foamy for our club streamer combat.  Those of you that know me, know I can't do anything simple.  I still have that dang Aztec sitting in my garage only rough cut from 4yr ago before my cancer diagnosis and adventure.  At first I was going to build an F-16 with 3mm foam, but then I decided to go back to the hot wire foam cutting and do myself a little Extra 330   b0111.gif  Here's some of the pics so far:

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
Re: Streamer combat build thread
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 05:32:47 PM »
I'm sorry I did not take a lot more pictures of the process  :t2321:  I downloaded the free plans in PDF, re-sized them in photoshop to go to a 36" wingspan and had it printed on a single large sheet at a local printer for $6.  As you can see, I cut little slats all the way around the plan so I could make dashed lines with sharpie then connect them then cut the profile with the hot wire.  I just set the wire up vertically, set the spacing of the clips and power on the transformer then tested the wire with scrap foam before using the table as a table saw but with hot wire.

Once the profiles were cut, I had to make forms to go on the root and tips of the wings and tail.  I don't know if you can tell by the pictures, but there is taper from the roots to the tip on all the control surfaces an they are all fully symmetrical shaped airfoils!  Pretty odd for a home build foamy to have an actual lifting surface, most guys just make a flat wing and they fly like kites.  Again, not good enough for me, but DANG it took a lot of work on this first one.  I think on subsequent builds, I can bang them out real fast now that I have the forms.  I will have to get some pictures of them and add them later, but they are simply airfoil shapes cut from plywood (I had to buy a harbor freight scroll saw), you screw them onto the tip and root, then the hot wire rides on them to cut the airfoil shape.

I did actually design the airfoils myself on http://airfoiltools.com/plotter/index by playing with the cord length and width until I got them the right size (it generates a PDF for you to download and then you can fool with them in photoshop.  When I get a min, I will actually upload my plans and all the forms in case anyone wants to follow me and build one too...Kind of doubting it?

So, at the end of today, here's where we are at.  Comments?  Suggestions?  Questions??

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 11:05:18 AM »
I know you posted pics of the hotwire set-up a long time ago, but could you show it and outline that again?

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 12:36:40 PM »
I'll have to take a still shot of it, but the basics are AC power to a Rad Shack DC transformer and break one side with a light dimmer, then take the DC output, put some long wires on it with alligator clips and clip it to nichrome wire.  Start with the dimmer down, then depending on how far your clips are away from each other / the more wire you are heating, the higher you have to turn it up.  Use some scrap foam to test with and adjust until it makes the cut you want.  Too hot will melt the foam, too cool will either not cut at all or too slowly.  Got to get the heat just right for your cut, then cut away!

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 06:38:38 AM »
I went to put shape on a big trainer wing I started for my daughter, but apparently the 18W I'm putting out with this transformer is not enough.  I searched eBay last night and for $12 found an AC transformer that will give me 40W and everything I read says that you can use AC or DC on the nichrome wire, so I'm going to try it.

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 07:33:22 PM »
Well, a little break from the foam to mess with electronics.   I read the reviews on the LED controller and everyone says you need to drop the voltage to 3v or it will burn up.  Seeing as I'm running the rest of everything on 6v, I needed a solution.  Funny story, I walked into the local Radio Shack where a couple 20-somethings were working and when they asked if they could help me, I told them, no, I doubt it!  They pressed me, so I said I needed a DC voltage regulator, they thought I was looking for a power supply, I told them no, DC regulator DC-DC 6-3v.  They said, we don't have anything like that and I said YES you do, right here in this drawer...  They said they didn't know anything about them and I said, yeah, I know!  I then proceeded to pull out my phone and run the formula for the resisters I needed from their bleak selection.  Dang, that stuff is EXPENSIVE now!!

Oh well, a few min with the soldering iron and BAM, there it is!  I should have taken video, but now I can actuate the gear switch on my DC7 and the string of LEDs in the picture shut on and off.  I was smart about it and soldered the appropriate JST connectors to the battery terminal and switch so that I can install it or remove it and will have a JST connector on the LEDs so I can plug them in direct or install the remote switch and go that way. 

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=40044

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 11:11:30 PM »
Don't you just love it when you're smarter than they are.

I love electronics, but know very little about them little pieces and what they do. Looking good on the build Wayne.

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 11:06:01 AM »
I screwed around with electronics most of my childhood, breadboarding a bunch of circuits, soldering radio kits...  I never did really grasp the principles, but enjoyed the mechanics of putting things together and I can solder fine components better than anyone I know (They all bring their stuff to me).  Anyway, these days with the internet, you just google what you want to do and follow circuits that someone else has already designed.  Not that hard.

The moral of the story I guess is READ all the reviews on the products you are buying from HK!  Had I not done so, I'd have already smoked two relays and been waiting on another slow boat shipment from the Hong Kong warehouse.  Know what you are buying and operate within the parameters.

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 11:33:17 AM »
Wow, that plane has been sitting a LONG time.  We finally got back to building it last night, got the wings, tail and all control surfaces connected and the wing is now sparred.  I didn't get any pictures of it yet, but I will tonight.  I think we will try to get the electronics into it.  The motor I have may not be big enough, we'll see.

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 11:29:39 AM »
SLOWEST BUILD EVER!!  Finally got some progress, I'm heading out to the LHS right now to get some hardware to get the servos in it and hooked up hopefully later today.  As it is there, we had it outside facing into the wind and gave it a gentle toss and she just hovered beautifully and levitated straight back down with no pitch forward or back, so I have high hopes.  Probably needs a different motor and bigger prop than I had planned for it, but we'll see...  Long way to go till then.

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 06:30:11 PM »
Just cut the aileron servos in, CA them in place and built the links.  Got the subtrims set and the mixing right, throws look pretty good.  Started filling in the spar with more epoxy, I think I will not fill the whole slot, just get a good layer under there then cover with blue tape.  Need some kind of color contrast to be able to fly this thing.  My buddy expected it to be a screamer for speed with the motor, prop and batt I got going.

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 07:25:27 PM »
Well, she made her first flight tonight...Took long enough?!  Video is uploading now and should be live at this link very soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P3YuijX2R8&feature=youtu.be

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:33:20 AM by Davesheli »

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 08:58:51 AM »
 :t2980:

She looks really good Wayne. Very stable at speed. It looked like you were testing the stall speed a couple of time and it didn't fall out of the sky. I didn't have the sound on so I couldn't hear the motor pitch -- did you do any gliding with it?

It also looked pretty responsive. What are your impressions? again, nice build. :t2030: :t2030:

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 05:33:23 PM »
It was pretty gusty breeze, so I was just trying to log some time on it without getting too crazy.  I think the CG is a bit aft, it's probably good or maneuvering, but not for speed.  I was not happy with the lateral stability, you actually have to fly it the entire time, it is QUITE the handful!  It is extremely light though, so if I can borrow a smaller 3S from anyone at the field, I might try that, though I would have to probably just add weight forward to keep it in the air.  Not bad for a scratch build, learned some things for sure, like next time, I will just plan to use all balsa or plywood control surfaces.  It's NOT worth messing with the foam!

For sure we have a lot more playing around with it to do, but it does fly!