Author Topic: What's taking away from my flight time this summer?  (Read 623 times)

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
  • Awards: MulticopterCentury ClubRC AddictPlanker Builder GoldHelicopter Gold
What's taking away from my flight time this summer?
« on: June 11, 2016, 02:27:29 PM »
Started working on this little gem last summer, but it was far too late in the season to justify the cost of a slip and they SAY it is a day sailor, but trust me, there is NO such thing when you are talking about stepping a mast...  We got it in the water back in late April but engine would only run full choke.  Thankfully there were no other boats close to my slip so I could get it in there.  Spent about 3 weeks more screwing with the engine until I finally got it reliable (new fuel line, filter, rebuilt carb twice, gaskets, neutral sensing switch, fuel fittings and probably other crap I can't remember).

Then I had to set about making it mine electrically with cool interior lighting like this, way over sized battery, permanently wired float charger, interior WiFi repeater...you know, all the most important stuff.

After all that I set about the rigging, last weekend rebuilt two winches and replaced two jam cleats, now I have to think pretty serious about rebuilding the traveler with as much stress as I have been putting on it and the signs of age and wear.  We sailed three times last week, I got burnt bad on memorial day...

This week I went out Thursday evening solo (first time on this boat).  That was quite a treat, I made it 6 miles out to what they call the spark plug, rounded it and headed back in.  Got much better wind on the way back and had her heeled right over like this:

Last night I went out by myself again and had much better winds all around.  After getting the second solo run under my belt, I'm feeling much more confident in my myself and my equipment.  That's a good thing when you are messing around on water that can kill you?  I've personally been out on a larger boat racing when waves went from 1' to 7' in a matter of moments when a squall moved in, but if there is no risk of death, I don't know how much fun you can be having.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 08:48:04 AM by Wayne »

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
Re: What's taking away from my flight time this summer?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 04:26:04 PM »
Wow! Wayne, I don't blame you one bit. A gorgeous boat and two gorgeous women. :t2030: :t2030:

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 06:31:35 AM »
 :t2030: :t2030:

:coolguy:

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
  • Awards: MulticopterCentury ClubRC AddictPlanker Builder GoldHelicopter Gold
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 09:46:07 AM »
Tall ships are in town now!!  http://www.tallshipcelebration.com/

We went out to the normal Wednesday race and a couple of them were anchored just a couple miles offshore.  Winds were great 15-20mph and waves 1-3', absolutely perfect conditions!

We went out Thursday am to see them all come in, but it was rough!  6 miles out, we were in 2-5' waves and winds gusting 30, small craft advisory was in effect after noon and I didn't want to get caught offshore in higher conditions, so we came back in just shortly after noon.  A couple other guys really took a beating later and one came back with a torn main because they caught gusts up to 60!!  Everyone on my boat was having a great time while I worked my butt off to keep it right side up!