Author Topic: Well I did it. My first plank!  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
  • Awards: fpv pilotmultipilot goldrcaddictnazacriusmulticoptergoldscalehelihelipilotsilverwaverunner
Well I did it. My first plank!
« on: September 28, 2017, 06:07:00 PM »
I purchased the Hobbyking trainstar.  I have never flown a plank and always wanted to so I bought my first one. It's probably not the best trainer, but it is tough and looks cool.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trainstar-tough-trainer-1-4m-plug-and-fly-version-pnf.html
I have been slowly putting it together and I ordered 2 more servos to install flaps.
I also bought the flysky t6 TX. It was only $35. new. It is cheap looking, but looks like it will do the job.

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
Re: Well I did it. My first plank!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 06:53:39 PM »
Wow, that's going to be a big trainer Plank....   :b0703:

Are you going to do a build thread?????? :t1815:

Good to see ya on here Mark... :t2980:

:coolguy:

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
  • Awards: fpv pilotmultipilot goldrcaddictnazacriusmulticoptergoldscalehelihelipilotsilverwaverunner
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 04:23:33 PM »
It's pretty much together. Just have to put some screws in the right places.
There are some mods already in the working though. The linkage was missing from the rear tail wheel, but I can fix that with some swash linkages from an old helicopter parts laying around. The main wing is screwed in and I can't remove it for storage so I'm going to mod it over so it's  installed with rubber bands.

Even if I wanted to do a build on it I can't do pictures anymore because Photobucket wanted money????

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 05:17:09 PM »

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 11:40:47 AM »
Thanks Randy. I booked it. :t2030:

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 11:47:52 AM »
Well the plane is finished. Because of it's size the only place I could find to fly it was the local RC airfield. They were all a bunch of friendly guys. I told them that I had no plank experience, but in turn have lots of heli and multi rotor experience. They all laughed and said that a plane is much different and suggested that since it's the maiden for the plane and I that someone with more experience should take it up first.

One of the pilots volunteered to maiden it for me and did a couple of circuits  then upon landing he missed the runway and cartwheeled it in the grass. No damage.
Now it was my turn. He asked to go buddy box, but this cheap TX wasn't compatible so I was on my own. I had no problems taxing it down the runway and next thing I knew it was flying. As the more experienced pilot stood next to me giving me advice, I started flying circuits and eights. As I started trimming the aircraft, he stood back and said well he doesn't need my help.

I flew it for about 8 mins and told him that I was ready to land. I brought it down to about 10' from the ground and he told me I was too low and might not make the turn for the final. I kept it at that altitude and made a really good sharp right turn towards the runway.  I kept the throttle where it was at and without using the flaps made a perfect landing down the middle of the runway.

They all told me that some of their pilots are old helicopter pilots and never flew that good on their maiden and the all seemed very impressed. I think I will join the club.

Karen did get video of the take off and some of the flight, but she didn't get the landing. I wll post it as soon as we can figure out how to share it off her phone.

Offline Sobodad

• Helicopter Pilot
  • Awards: Scale heliHelicopter GoldPowered Glider
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 06:12:59 PM »
Welcome to the Plank club. You have a very nice bird there :)
Would really love to see some video of you flight ..

My 1st plane flight was scary to start with but as soon as I was in the air, it was like 2nd nature to me.
The guy standing beside me to assist just walked away after I started doing some rolls and loops.
I simply put it down to the experience of Heli / Quad flights.

The guys gave me a good ribbing when I end up lodged in the top of a very large tree at the end of the runway on my landing approach ..  :b0201:
I gave it back shortly after when one of the 'Pros' did the exact same thing though ..
Think I put in about 5 flights that day with no further incidents :)

As for pictures .. You can upload your Pics / Vids to a Facebook account if you have one and link directly to them here on the forums ..
My FB account is set to Private, but I can still post pics from it ..
Coax: Hunt Eagle V1 .. NE Solo V2
FP: NE Solo Pro V1 .. Walkera V200D02
CP: NE Solo Pro 180 3D .. Esky Belt CP 450 .. Esky Belt CPv2 450
CP: MSH Protos 500 .. MSH Protos 500 Airwolf Fuse
CP: JR Venture .30 Gasser
Quad: QR Ladybird V2 (x2) .. Turnigy SK450 .. AR Drone V1
Plank: Bixler v2

Offline wizzard363

• Airplane Expert
  • Awards: Planker pilotPlanker builder
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 11:16:42 PM »
Nice work .
Now there is no turning back

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 08:40:49 AM »
That sounded like you had a great time with the flight.... Glad it went so well for ya....  :t2030: :t2030:

Looking forward to the video, hope Karen can get the whole flight in next go around.... :t2980:

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
  • famous last words...hey Hold My Beer & Watch This.
  • Awards: Casey JonesGround PounderHeli Pilot SilverPlanker Pilot SilvermulticoptersilverNazaMulti Pilot BronzeRC AddictOld Farts Club
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 05:05:20 PM »
Well, Well, it's Mr. Mark how things going?? I was looking at the same Planker you bought but I ended up buying the Tundra 1300mm anniversary addition. I received it a week ago haven't had time to put it together yet to Bizzy chasing 3 grandkids around, all under 2  :t2338:

Jeff  :coolguy:

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 08:52:20 AM »
Hello Jeff. I know what you mean. I have two grand kids running around here also, but they are a bit older.
    Yea I think I made a good choice and although the club I went to has trainers, they really liked the Trainstar. The wing tips has a unique leading edge to assist the novice flyer from what they called "wing tip stall".  I knew nothing about it when I purchased it but pulled the trigger and got it because of it's price and parts availability. Also it is supposed to be really tough. I watched a youtube video of a guy using the fuselage as a tennis ball bat and smacking it against a street sign post several times. We will see how tough it is after the Flyingdeutschman effect.LOL
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:54:48 AM by Flyingdeutschman »

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 12:26:59 PM »
 :showing-ass:
Remember the rule:
"If there's no video, it didn't happen."

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 10:52:06 AM »
Karen didn't get very close so it's not too good of a video. She used her cell phone and forgot to turn it off at the end. the flight was long so she didn't get the landing.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:54:28 AM by Flyingdeutschman »

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 10:57:32 PM »
Looked like you where making those banked turns like a pro, great maiden (for you) flight Mark, looking forward to a next video....   b0111.gif b0111.gif :t2030: :t2030:

Can you mount a camera to it???

Offline KeithLDick

• Airplane Expert
    • Bayou City Flyers
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 07:49:23 AM »
Mark you picked a perfect plane, Cessna 182's are very forgiving and fly great... Once you feel your ready for the next step up I would get an Ugly Stick from Tower Hobbies, the 40 size Electric version... They are also easy to fly and can do almost every maneuver you want except they aren't very good at Snap Rolls and Knife Edges... I think that version of the Stick you can set up as a 'Tail Dragger' or a 'Tricycle Landing Gear' like the Cessna...

I hated the look of them but after I had a couple for awhile they are a great Go-To Plane when I wanted something easy to fly...

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUTN8&P=0

By the Way, Hi All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

b0111.gif