Author Topic: I have a question on this item  (Read 496 times)

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
  • famous last words...hey Hold My Beer & Watch This.
  • Awards: Casey JonesGround PounderHeli Pilot SilverPlanker Pilot SilvermulticoptersilverNazaMulti Pilot BronzeRC AddictOld Farts Club
I have a question on this item
« on: November 13, 2017, 03:05:52 AM »
does anyone use this CG balancer? if so does it work well? and if it's worth spending $38.00 on it. or is there something cheaper??

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015TGYWI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_13?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Jeff  :coolguy:

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
Re: I have a question on this item
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 07:08:46 AM »
I don't have any idea Jeff, but it looks pretty good....  :t1815:
I'm sure the Plankers will Chim in with a better answer soon.... :t2030:

:coolguy:

Offline AKPhill

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: multicopter goldCX 450HK 450RC AddictCriusMulti PilotHeli BuilderOld Fart
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 11:03:25 PM »
Yeah they work but two water glasses and a shaft to fit your prop works just as well and costs less . :b0201:

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
  • Awards: Casey JonesGround PounderHeli Pilot SilverPlanker Pilot SilvermulticoptersilverNazaMulti Pilot BronzeRC AddictOld Farts Club
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 12:53:20 AM »
 :t2030: Dave

:b0201: :b0201: Phil

I never worried about it with my other planes since there smaller but this plane is pretty big the biggest one I have ever owned. With the battery compartment as huge as it is I need something I can check the balance.

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 08:17:34 AM »
Yeah they work but two water glasses and a shaft to fit your prop works just as well and costs less . :b0201:

Heya Phill, are you talking about a Prop Balancer or a tool to check CG for the whole Plane?????? :t1815: :t2954:

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 08:23:56 AM »
I think Phil is talking about a prop balancer.

When I did my Bixlers, I used to blocks of styrofoam with pencils stuck into them, eraser side up. You could use two pieces of 2x4 or one long piece. If the pencils aren't long enough, a couple of dowel rods would work....or you could just go ahead and buy the piece you're looking at if you are sure it is gonna be big enough.

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
  • Awards: fpv pilotmultipilot goldrcaddictnazacriusmulticoptergoldscalehelihelipilotsilverwaverunner
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 11:08:27 AM »

I never worried about it with my other planes since there smaller but this plane is pretty big the biggest one I have ever owned. With the battery compartment as huge as it is I need something I can check the balance.

How much smaller? I'm looking for a small one that I can fly around the yard. Do you have any 4ch ones to recommend?

Offline wizzard363

• Airplane Expert
  • Awards: Planker pilotPlanker builder
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 10:34:17 PM »
I have the hobbyking version of this cog balancer . Biggest problem is the weight of the plastic ruler puts it out of balance.
There are 2 ways to overcome this issue .
1 whrn you set the distance on the rulet use a counter weight to balance the ruler at neutral before placing your model on the balancer.
2 I just got rid of the rulers and use cog stickers to mark the position of cog on plane wing then I line it up by eye on the metal tops of the balancing machine . This is by far the best method.
These machines allow a very accurate cog to be set but so does a couple of pencils mounted eraser side up in a block of foam .
What I like best about this machine over the pencil method is the metal tops on the machine have a larger surface area for the plane to sit on , this is especially important for covered balsa wings as a pencil could easily puncture the film.
If you check my 4m Pulsar thread you will see I used this machine when balancing

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 11:11:22 PM »

Hi Mark
I don't have small backyard planes. I only have 5+ CH planes/jets, though I was looking at the small yellow champ from horizon the BNF is around $100

How much smaller? I'm looking for a small one that I can fly around the yard. Do you have any 4ch ones to recommend?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:34:06 AM by highflyer »

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 11:27:51 PM »
Hi Wiz
I have seen the one from HK. after reading the review on the two, people with the bush planes say they won't work because of the way the landing gear sits and the size of the wheels get in the way. the wheels on the Tundra are almost as big as my hand. I'll figure out something.

Offline AKPhill

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: multicopter goldCX 450HK 450RC AddictCriusMulti PilotHeli BuilderOld Fart
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 12:35:07 AM »
LOL guys  :b0201:

Ok block of wood and 2 pencils  drill holes in block of wood and stick pencils in them set the plane on top of pencils
move plane around untill cg is found cheap but effective

Sorry miss understood post question  :showing-ass:

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 01:36:36 AM »
that's ok Phil  :b0201:

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 07:28:09 AM »
LOL guys  :b0201:

Ok block of wood and 2 pencils  drill holes in block of wood and stick pencils in them set the plane on top of pencils
move plane around untill cg is found cheap but effective

Sorry miss understood post question  :showing-ass:

:b0201: :b0201: :b0201:      :t2946: