Author Topic: Battery plugs explained.  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Ceolwulf

• Helicopter Pilot
  • Awards: Multi BuilderMulti PilotPlanker PilotHeli PilotGround PounderKK2 FCHelicopter GoldRC Addict
Battery plugs explained.
« on: January 06, 2014, 01:20:50 PM »
Ok while I was doing some research into what type of plug to use on my 12s outrage fusion setup I came across this http://www.tjinguytech.com/reviews/rc-connectors  it takes into account the most common types of plugs found on batteries today and how the right plug and wire size is important to a good setup.

RC  Addict at his best

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Men and Their Flying Machines Somewhere Over OZ
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
Re: Battery plugs explained.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 05:05:17 PM »
Boatload of information on the subject. Make it a sticky to let newbies find it.  :t2030: :t2030: :t2030:

Thanks for the research CW :t2037: :t2037: :t2037:

:freeze:  Ice
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:30:41 PM by icecycler »

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
    • Hughes Aerial Imagery
  • Awards: FPV PilotRC AddictKK2 userMulticopter PilotScrap builds multisBuild helis
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 08:14:55 AM »
I've done quite a bit of reading on this subject, but I'm curious to know if any of you guys have experience with micro-Dean's connectors?  I want to use them on my mCPX's instead of the stock connectors or the JST's that come on the Hyperion batteries.  I've seen advice both ways on how to wire the micro-Dean's for the batteries, but having the ground on the protruding pin makes the most sense to me.  What do you guys think?
"Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground"

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 08:45:07 AM »
Not familiar with the mini-Deans, but what's prompting you to change the stock plugs - if I may ask?

I understand you have to change the battery, so is it because the Deans are easier to solder?

r

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
    • Hughes Aerial Imagery
  • Awards: FPV PilotRC AddictKK2 userMulticopter PilotScrap builds multisBuild helis
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 09:17:39 AM »
Well, it all seems to depend on who you ask and who you believe, but there are strong opinions and at least some evidence that the JST plugs can be a source of power loss due to greater resistance.  The proponents of the micro-Dean's point to improved performance through lower resistance and many also mention easier unplugging over the JST.
"Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground"

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 11:40:28 AM »
Thanks for the explanation.

r
 :t2981:

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Men and Their Flying Machines Somewhere Over OZ
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 05:34:49 PM »
I would be concerned of leaving an open end on a battery to possibly short out on something. I think the the resistance lost on the larger plugs outweigh the safety factor. What would be the flight loss, maybe 30-45 seconds at the most  :scratching_chin1:

Just a thought!!!!

:freeze:  Ice

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline pinguin6218

• Multirotor Pilot
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 03:18:32 AM »
I've done quite a bit of reading on this subject, but I'm curious to know if any of you guys have experience with micro-Dean's connectors?  I want to use them on my mCPX's instead of the stock connectors or the JST's that come on the Hyperion batteries.  I've seen advice both ways on how to wire the micro-Dean's for the batteries, but having the ground on the protruding pin makes the most sense to me.  What do you guys think?

There was a debate on the pin polarity. I think the standard is having the positive on the protruding side. It really doesn't make any sense to me. I use this connector for my 1S battery and I have it as the negative on the protruding side. That's the way I like it and it make more sense to me. Anyway, I am not going to use somebody else battery anyway, so I should be ok with my setup.

Offline Ceolwulf

• Helicopter Pilot
  • Awards: Multi BuilderMulti PilotPlanker PilotHeli PilotGround PounderKK2 FCHelicopter GoldRC Addict
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 09:45:24 PM »
I haven't personally used micro deans.  But a guy at the lhs does and for safety he puts a small rubber cap over the plug of the battery to keep it from shorting out.

RC  Addict at his best