Author Topic: setup tools for helis  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Roundman54

• Global Moderator
  • Hi I'm Duane I am a heli holic
  • Awards: Stupid PilotsMulti bronzeHoneybee goldTrex 600450 cloneRC addictHeli goldCrotchety Old FartTrex 600
setup tools for helis
« on: October 18, 2013, 03:15:44 PM »
I'm putting this topic here for now. I saw this on my email from HK and ordered one. with the helis I have especially the 600 that i need to setup I thought this would come in handy. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__40566__Turnigy_Servo_Centering_Setup_Tool_RED_.html . Especially when you blow a servo on a heli already setup.  between these 2 tools  it will make setups quicker...http://www.ronlund.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ELRC500 I love the flybar lock just for the fact if you loose a servo that goes bad you can set center with for your servo arm and set the swash to level with the flybar lock. No more  taking off the head to use the swash leveling tool and constantly disconecting ball links to adjust the ball link arms ( every time you disconect a ball link you stretch the ball link end ... causing premature failure of the ball Link ) That causes crashes which causes $$$$$$$ . I have gone to all turnbuckles on my Trex 600E Pro. That way I no longer have to use Ball link Pliers. Of course this ends up to cost more BUT less in the end!!!!!!!!!!!  :t2030: :t2030: :t2030: Roundman54
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:36:49 PM by Roundman54 »
I need a 12step progrm 4 my Heli Addiction

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Men and Their Flying Machines Somewhere Over OZ
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
Re: setup tools for helis
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 05:04:50 PM »
I look at it this way, any tool is a good tool if it makes the job easier. Period end of story. That looks like a winner.

:freeze:   Ice
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 04:40:55 PM by icecycler »

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 05:14:23 PM »
I look at it this way, any tool is a good tool if it makes the job easier. Period end of story. That looks like a winner.

Ice

+1, I love tools, just all mine are all auto related...  lol

Offline bazjay38

• Helicopter Pilot
  • Eat more slowly, drink more wine.
  • Awards: Casey JonesHoney BeeQuad Pilot BronzeJoksterOld Farts ClubRC AddictHelicopter Pilot Bronze
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:53:18 AM »
 :t2030: I like the idea of the swashplate and flybar leveller. I also think this topic is a good one. There are so many helpful videos out there - on YouTube and other forums ( pl. fori??) it' a pity not to use them. There are also some ego trippers as well but our founder is sure to know how to filter them out  :t2030:
I came into this hobby as the result of watching YouTube vids, so they can't all be bad.  :t2981:

If it Ain't Spinnin' You Ain't Winnin'

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 10:13:45 PM »
Man I don't know how I would have gotten through some of this stuf without looking at You Tube video's, Thank goodness there are people out there putting this stuff up. Otherwise I'd have about 2 million posts on these forums...

:b0230: :b0201: :b0230: :b0201: :b0230: :b0201: :b0230: :b0201: :b0230: :b0201:

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline Ceolwulf

• Helicopter Pilot
  • Awards: Multi BuilderMulti PilotPlanker PilotHeli PilotGround PounderKK2 FCHelicopter GoldRC Addict
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »
Don't forget a good pitch guage also.  I got tired of the cheap ones and bought a tarot digital pitch guage.  It was well worth it.  Also a ball link measuring tool like this one http://www.valuehobby.com/helicopters/helicopter-articles/ball-link-measure-tools-tl2277.html sure comes in handy especially when you links that all have to be the same size.

RC  Addict at his best

Offline Roundman54

• Global Moderator
  • Hi I'm Duane I am a heli holic
  • Awards: Stupid PilotsMulti bronzeHoneybee goldTrex 600450 cloneRC addictHeli goldCrotchety Old FartTrex 600
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 03:53:53 PM »
I've seen them before and have yet to get some... That money on my prepaid Walmart card is burning a hole in my computer maybe now is the tim to order some. I got A real nice Digital pitch gauge when I bought the Trex 500 from Bigal. Thanks for sharing.  :t2030: Duane BTW I agree with Ice you can't have enough tools.
I need a 12step progrm 4 my Heli Addiction

Offline wiredcycle

• Helicopter Pilot
  • Your never too old to try
  • Awards: Old FartHK 500helipilotsilverhelicopterbronze
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 10:23:26 AM »
Wow,both of those tools are a must have.Pretty cool,setting up my swash was easier once I read John Salts book on swash setup I had it all wrong till I read the book,I really like the flybar lock tool I got to get one.If only my tool man at work would sell rc tools it would save me on shipping  :b0201:  :b0201:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:25:55 AM by wiredcycle »

2 hk500 gt's

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 01:17:17 PM »
Here is a link to those set up guides by John Salt, looks like great reading especially for the newbie or the experienced who enjoys gaining additional knowledge.

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/rc-flying-ebooks.html

Offline wiredcycle

• Helicopter Pilot
  • Your never too old to try
  • Awards: Old FartHK 500helipilotsilverhelicopterbronze
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 08:10:31 PM »
The ebooks are worth the money.A lot more in-depth than on the website.The first is a setup build guide and the second is swash setup only.Along with the help of you guys and his books they helped me a lot   :t2030:

2 hk500 gt's