Author Topic: Dragonfly MC1806 2300KV Mini Motors, Test and Review  (Read 13359 times)

Offline Skysurfer

• Video King
  • Multirotor Pilot
  • Be Blessed
  • Awards: Heli Pilot silverHeli  bronzeKk2 userMulticopter PilotMulticopter
Dragonfly MC1806 2300KV Mini Motors, Test and Review
« on: July 31, 2014, 01:26:57 PM »
Dragonfly MC1806 KV2300 Mini Motor Review.
Having received the Dragonfly 1806 Minis the other day we , my buddy rick and I proceeded to affix them to the Armattan 258 CNC frame that was chosen for this test. This frame is all aluminum and very strong weighing in at 160 grams and would make a very good fpv frame in my opinion as it can survive many very hard crashes as it is from Armattan. The frame is able to accommodate up to a 7Ē blade,  so I had no problem when testing with the 6Ē props that were chosen for this motors test.  I had a little trouble with the length of the 2mm bolt that came with the motors as they at first were a tad bit too long and would interrupt the spin of the motors 1 and 3 by making contact with the windings but with a little finagling was able to adjust the bolt to fit and not to make any more contact, after adjusting it flew great! 
Here are the specs of the Dragonfly equipped quad configuration: Frame:  Armattan CNC 258, FC: KK2.0 running 1.6+++ Rev 3, Motors: Dragonfly 1806-2300Kv, ESCís: Afro 30A, Props: For this test I went with the 6x4.5 three and two blade props. Battery: Zippy Compact 1800mah 35c 3s..

Weight of the finished quad is 515.9 grams and the battery weighs in at 155.5 grams.
Rendering the AUW of this flying test quad at 671.4 grams without FPV equipment.
With fpv equipment on board I suspect the AUW of this quad to be at least 700+ grams. I know, a lot of weight, but I suspect that these little Dragonfly 1806 motors seem to be more than up to the task.
Without FPV equipment and with only L.O.S. flying to test, I found that these little power houses were very adequate with power on tap to maneuver the craft with nimble ease, fff was fast. Hovering was just above 50% and punch outs were smooth and powerful. The whole 6 minute flights were just as satisfying as the little craft darted about with authority.  To tell you the truth in the beginning I hadnít much faith in these motors to haul around 670 grams with the ease that it did but after running the first few battery packs through the quad I found that it was no problem either on 2 blade  6x4.5 or on three blade 6x4.5 props.  After each of the flights I immediately checked the motor for heat and found that with both two and three blade props the motors were barely warm after 6 minutes of flying.

In conclusion I am convinced the Dragonfly 1806 would be a nice little motor for fpv flying in the 250mm frame category. Itís power and smooth authority were noticeable right from the start and continued through the life of the battery cycle (6mins). 
As a further study of 1806  motors, here is a link to a data sheet of 1806 motors and their performance specs compiled by RC Group members: Mustang7302, Soma, EngineerX and Acom, Great work and thank you for letting me post this data.: http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Filoa-oxrM_YK67k9WYXiBzdkPIlYrF-vXjohY2oDLw/pubhtml

1806 on Armattan 258 with three blade 6x4.5 props
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:30:25 AM by Skysurfer »
John 3:16

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Men and Their Flying Machines Somewhere Over OZ
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
Re: Dragonfly MC1806 2300KV Mini Motors, Test and Review
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 01:50:51 PM »
So you tested them on 6" props, did you get a chance to try it with 7's?

:coolguy:  ***Ice***

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline Ian

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: oLDFARTHK 450 GTMulticopter GoldNAZAMulti PilotHeli PilotTemporary :)
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 04:27:52 PM »
Looks and sounds like a nice little motor Sky  :t2030: Thanks for the review.

Ian.

Honey Bee V3,
Belt CPX,
HK450GT,
Blade Nano,
X525,
Disco (Clone),
Alias Quad.

Offline Skysurfer

• Video King
  • Multirotor Pilot
  • Be Blessed
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 01:09:47 AM »
Ice, Although the motors are not rated for 7 inch props I'm thinking that it might just handle them properly and come down semi warm if not cooler as they were cool to the touch after 6 minutes on a 3s 1800mah 35c and that with 3 bladed props so 7 inch 2 bladed testing is definitely on the to do list just stay tuned.

Imagine the increase in thrust if this goes well!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:25:44 AM by Skysurfer »

Offline Skysurfer

• Video King
  • Multirotor Pilot
  • Be Blessed
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 01:15:49 AM »
Looks and sounds like a nice little motor Sky  :t2030: Thanks for the review.

Ian.

Ian, I will have video tomorrow showing the robust little Dragonfly in flight action using 6 inch tri blade and 6 inch 2 blade props on a Zippy Compact 3s 1800mah, 35c battery which comes down warm and renders about a 3.75 after 6 minutes of aggressive/flight.

Another flight test with 7 inch props is forthcoming , stay tuned.

Offline Skysurfer

• Video King
  • Multirotor Pilot
  • Be Blessed
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 04:32:36 PM »
OK just returned from the field where I put the motors once again to the test pushing the 6x4.5 trip blade. It turns out it was too much for motor 4 as it now has crunchy bearings. Of course this means the 7 inch blade test is either postponed or canceled , depending on weather they send me a replacement.
Video of flight forthcoming.

Offline Ian

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: oLDFARTHK 450 GTMulticopter GoldNAZAMulti PilotHeli PilotTemporary :)
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 04:40:31 PM »
Looking forward to the video  :t2030: So the 3 blade props took out 1 of the motors and not the other 3  :scratching_chin1:

Ian.

Honey Bee V3,
Belt CPX,
HK450GT,
Blade Nano,
X525,
Disco (Clone),
Alias Quad.

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 05:11:44 PM »
After reading through the thread, I see that your not the only one with blown motors'  :t2954:

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline Skysurfer

• Video King
  • Multirotor Pilot
  • Be Blessed
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 07:21:21 PM »
Looking forward to the video  :t2030: So the 3 blade props took out 1 of the motors and not the other 3  :scratching_chin1:

Ian.
Ian, yup thats it also a little aggressive flying, perhaps it was overproped, or perhaps better quality control is needed.

Offline Skysurfer

• Video King
  • Multirotor Pilot
  • Be Blessed
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 09:03:55 PM »
On second look and disassembly of the prop from the motor. I found that it wasn't a bearing at all but a misaligned prop . The problem with the 7 inch is because the hub is too wide it only allows minimal room to get a bite from the collet and seat it properly. Anyways the motor is running fine and even got video of 7 inch flights to show the great thrust increase with the 7's, punch outs are off the hook it just wants to keep climbing!

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 10:20:52 PM »
He said that they were planning on increasing the shaft size on some of the motors. I really wish they would have given more for testing. I have a new "platform that would have suited it just perfect.  :t2321:

Offline Skysurfer

• Video King
  • Multirotor Pilot
  • Be Blessed
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 11:22:23 PM »
Here's a video of the Dragonflys on a set of 6 x 4.5 tri blade props. I really like these little motors!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:06:47 AM by davesheli »

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 07:21:33 AM »
Looks good Ray....  :t2030: :t2030:

:coolguy:

Offline Skysurfer

• Video King
  • Multirotor Pilot
  • Be Blessed
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 09:33:59 AM »
Thanks Dave

@Ed, yes the 4mm adapter fits over the 2mm shaft, they are going to be offering 4mm and 5mm shaft/adapter sizes.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:38:18 AM by Skysurfer »

Offline Skysurfer

• Video King
  • Multirotor Pilot
  • Be Blessed
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 11:36:13 PM »
Well now she exhibits the crunchy bearing again this time 2 motors are affected, I guess I was over propping the poor little motors.