Author Topic: I'm going to try a cheap key chain cam  (Read 7429 times)

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Men and Their Flying Machines Somewhere Over OZ
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
Re: I'm going to try a cheap key chain cam
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 04:01:33 PM »
Yup Al, I think you have a major case of the Jello wiggles on that camera bird. The prop balancing will help, but I think you'll need to ass some sort of vibration elimination gizmo. She flew pretty good in the wind.

:coolguy:   ***Ice***

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
  • I have become comfortably numb
  • Awards: KK2Heli Pilot SilverHelicopter SilverRC AddictMulti Pilot BronzeOld Farts ClubMulti Pilot Bronze
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 04:46:43 PM »
Yup Al, I think you have a major case of the Jello wiggles on that camera bird. The prop balancing will help, but I think you'll need to ass some sort of vibration elimination gizmo. She flew pretty good in the wind.

:coolguy:   ***Ice***

Yeah Ice, I think I'll work on that. Some double sided foam tape between the mounting plate and the frame and balance a new set of props. If that don't work it'll be a wash until I can afford a better camera. :t2954:

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
  • Awards: fpv pilotmultipilot goldrcaddictnazacriusmulticoptergoldscalehelihelipilotsilverwaverunner
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 06:38:51 PM »
Dave has done some keychain cam video with his quad. Maybe he can jump in here when he gets off work on mounting solutions.

Mark

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
  • Awards: KK2Heli Pilot SilverHelicopter SilverRC AddictMulti Pilot BronzeOld Farts ClubMulti Pilot Bronze
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 08:16:50 PM »
I open to any advice.  :t2954:

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 11:11:33 PM »
Yeah it looked like the camera was almost moving around, I would start with the vibration 1st (balance, make sure everything on the motors and frame arms are all tight, they will work loose... Then work on the camera, I always hard mounted my cameras (cheap ones and ipod) and haven't had much vibration, so a lot of it has to do with the multi....

Good luck Al and keep us informed... Also how is the man cave coming for the multi room since the move???? (if I remember right :undecided::b0206:

:coolguy:

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Men and Their Flying Machines Somewhere Over OZ
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 12:04:24 AM »
Honestly Al the camera did a good job. I would concentrate more on the mount. Good foam is a good start unless you can find a cheap vibration mount.

:coolguy:   *** Ice ***

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 08:24:37 AM »
Yeah it looked like the camera was almost moving around, I would start with the vibration 1st (balance, make sure everything on the motors and frame arms are all tight, they will work loose... Then work on the camera, I always hard mounted my cameras (cheap ones and ipod) and haven't had much vibration, so a lot of it has to do with the multi....

Good luck Al and keep us informed... Also how is the man cave coming for the multi room since the move???? (if I remember right :undecided::b0206:

Here you go Dave.

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 09:07:17 AM »
Love it, simple, clean and Very Organized... :t2981: :t2980: :b0111:
I need to get one of those lights one day...  :headslap:

BTW: Looks like the quad has a flat tire, kinda leaning....  :b0209: :b0201: :b0201: :b0201:    :evil:

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 11:57:19 AM »
Love it, simple, clean and Very Organized... :t2981: :t2980: :b0111:
I need to get one of those lights one day...  :headslap:

BTW: Looks like the quad has a flat tire, kinda leaning....  :b0209: :b0201: :b0201: :b0201:    :evil:

No Dave, the quad is level it's the desk that's leaning.  :b0230: :b0230: BTW, I got that lamp at Lowe's, I think it was like $60.00. It's nice as hell, I love it.

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 02:06:20 PM »
Anytime you hard mount a cam against a frame, it will pick up any vibration from the quad, including "frequencies" from the motors/props/ESCs as you change speeds. At some speeds, steady for instance, with a constant frequency, there maybe no jello at all. But when you change speeds to accelerate, you get a different frequency and a different set of vibrations.

Sometimes a piece of foam will do it. The thickness depends on how smooth the quad or heli is. So as Dave said start with the quad first. A batter camera will still have jello if the quad is rough.

Offline Jerry Campbell

• Forum Zombies
    • Home Sweet Home
  • Awards: FPV PilotMultipilot GoldGlider PilotCriusRC Addict450 Clonemulti silver
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 03:16:11 PM »
Hey Al,
   Jello is a pain in the butt and hard to get rid of. When I used a keychain camera I had to first isolate the camera from the frame with the right consistency of foam. It's like the three bears, to hard is no good and too soft is no good. Then I had to add some weight to the camera because it was too light. I added 3 thick washers about 1 1/2 " in diameter to the bottom of the camera with double sided foam tape. Then I had to tie it down on top of the foam to the frame to stop the prop wash from affecting it when the rpm's changed. A large rubber band worked pretty good. The thing that did the most good was adding weight to the camera.
Good luck on your jello journey.
Jerry

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 04:02:42 PM »
Thanks Guys, looks like I have my work cut out for me and a lot of trial and error but everything you're saying makes sense. I think I'll start with balancing a new set of props and go from there. Gotta figure out a way to add weight to the camera. I'll post pictures and videos as I go.  :b0708:

Offline jbrumberg

• Forum Zombies
  • Awards: SleepswithfishMulti Pilotoldfart
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 09:04:56 AM »
I played around with different anti-vibration materials and found that foam earplugs made for some of the better anti-vibration materials.  I still have not tried that fancy miracle foam mattress material, nor that specialty musical product called "Moon Gel" which is used by drummers as an acoustical suppression (anti-vibration) material.  That Moon Gel stuff is expensive.

Balanced props seems to reduce jello effects the most.

The last time I did a YouTube video, my raw image appeared to be of a much better video quality than the Youtube video editor modified video.

Good luck.

JB

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 08:02:22 PM »
Well, here is where I'm gonna start. Mark, (Flyingdeutschman) got me looking at something. He asked why I used the metal motor mounts and I really never thought about it. Well, in going through my quad I took a close look at the mounts and I didn't like the way the motor sat on that mount. It didn't seem to seat nicely so I removed them and the motors seem to sit right down nice and snug against the arm so that is my first step to trying to eliminate the Jello effect. I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make, if any, but I figure every little bit. I know it looks crooked in the picture but it must be the angle cause it is straight.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:07:06 PM by Bigal1951 »

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 09:34:57 PM »
I would also make sure there is no play in the motors themselves, meaning no side load or bearing play in them, also, cutting the shafts down a little till very little shaft shows when the props are on will help also...

This is a video from a year ago with an old cheap cell phone (240p), (85 degrees and wind gusting about 10 to 15 MPH) the video sucked but there was very little jello... BTW: I just slapped it on with a Velcro Strap and nothing more (No foam, padding etc)......

Start with the basics and make sure the quad is not vibrating, then see how much jello you have and work from there... That is what I do...  :b0206:

BTW: I still think it has a flat tire...  :b0209: :b0201: :b0201: :b0201: