Author Topic: I'm going to try a cheap key chain cam  (Read 7080 times)

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
  • I have become comfortably numb
  • Awards: KK2Heli Pilot SilverHelicopter SilverRC AddictMulti Pilot BronzeOld Farts ClubMulti Pilot Bronze
Re: I'm going to try a cheap key chain cam
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2014, 11:33:08 PM »
Nice video Dave, I'll try cutting the motor shafts down too, seems like a good idea. I'll cut the shafts on the left side a little shorter than the one's on the right. Maybe then it'll look level to you.  :b0264:  :b0230: :b0230:

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Men and Their Flying Machines Somewhere Over OZ
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2014, 01:27:47 AM »
It's a figment of your imagination Dave. I don't see any tires on that quad. You've been working at Firestone way to long. :b0209:

:freeze:   ***Ice***

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2014, 07:22:13 AM »
Nice video Dave, I'll try cutting the motor shafts down too, seems like a good idea. I'll cut the shafts on the left side a little shorter than the one's on the right. Maybe then it'll look level to you.  :b0264:  :b0230: :b0230:

It's a figment of your imagination Dave. I don't see any tires on that quad. You've been working at Firestone way to long. :b0209:

:freeze:   ***Ice***

:b0230: :b0230: :b0230: :b0230: :b0230: :b0230: :b0230: :b0230:

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
  • Awards: KK2Heli Pilot SilverHelicopter SilverRC AddictMulti Pilot BronzeOld Farts ClubMulti Pilot Bronze
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2014, 02:09:54 PM »
Dave, this is how much distance I have between the motor and the prop base right now, do you think it's close enough?

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2014, 09:28:41 PM »

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2014, 01:01:38 PM »
Ok Dave, I have 0.102 clearance where you had 0.275 before you cut your's. Actually, mine isn't bad right now, it's less than 1/2 the distance yours was before you cut it. I guess I'll cut them down a bit though. Thanks   :t2030:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 01:06:09 PM by Bigal1951 »

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2014, 07:31:36 AM »
Ok Dave, I have 0.102 clearance where you had 0.275 before you cut your's. Actually, mine isn't bad right now, it's less than 1/2 the distance yours was before you cut it. I guess I'll cut them down a bit though. Thanks   :t2030:

The shorter the shaft the less chance of side load movement (wobble) and vibration.... You may still have other problems, but every little bit helps....  One step at a time... dancing

:coolguy:

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2014, 04:54:06 PM »

The shorter the shaft the less chance of side load movement (wobble) and vibration.... You may still have other problems, but every little bit helps....  One step at a time... dancing

Gotcha Bud.  :turkey:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:56:44 PM by Bigal1951 »

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2014, 07:51:27 PM »
OK guys, here is what I have. I also found my props were out of balance, some pretty bad.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 07:53:36 PM by Bigal1951 »

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Men and Their Flying Machines Somewhere Over OZ
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2014, 08:06:28 PM »
That's a good start Al, clearance on the motor looks good too. Good luck on the testing, you should see some improvement  :t2030: :t2030: :t2030:

:freeze:  ***Ice***

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2014, 10:14:07 PM »
That's a good start Al, clearance on the motor looks good too. Good luck on the testing, you should see some improvement  :t2030: :t2030: :t2030:

:freeze:  ***Ice***

Yeah, what he said.  :t2030:

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2014, 12:46:29 PM »
OK, here is the most recent video from my on board camera. I don't really notice a big difference between the two. For this one I shortened the motor shafts and balanced and installed a new set of props. I also removed the metal motor mounts and mounted the motors directly to the arm. It looks to me like I may have some bent motor shafts and I can't find replacement shafts for these particular motors. I purchased a set of shafts from Hobbyking but they were for the SK3 version so I guess I'll order 4 SK3 motors at some point. Right now I think my Son and I will just enjoy flying it. I did notice that it would dip once in a while. I'll get some video so you can see what I'm talking about. I don't know if it was the wind or what. One question I have is should these motor shafts be oiled from time to time, probably a stupid question?  :b0708:

Offline Jerry Campbell

• Forum Zombies
    • Home Sweet Home
  • Awards: FPV PilotMultipilot GoldGlider PilotCriusRC Addict450 Clonemulti silver
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2014, 03:25:39 PM »
Hey Al, I would order some bolt on prop adapters and cut the shafts off completely And use those motors. When I started flying (crashing) I bent every shaft I had then bought new motors, Then I discovered bolt on adapters. No more bent shafts. Of course it helps if you stop crashing. :b0206:

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2014, 04:28:47 PM »
Yeah Jerry, I thought about them too. They're a lot stronger. Thanks for the suggestion.  :t2030:

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2014, 04:33:01 PM »
Big Al!
Good job on the cut down! :t2030:

Funny, but I didn't notice any jello until you fired up the quad  :t2954:

You shouldn't have to oil the motors either. Oil attracts dirt.