Author Topic: The start of my Heli addiction, What started your RC addiction?  (Read 4780 times)

Offline Roundman54

• Global Moderator
  • Hi I'm Duane I am a heli holic
  • Awards: Stupid PilotsMulti bronzeHoneybee goldTrex 600450 cloneRC addictHeli goldCrotchety Old FartTrex 600
The start of my Heli addiction, What started your RC addiction?
« on: November 06, 2013, 03:09:36 PM »

I started out with the little blue Gyro copter that was supposed to be  a Christmas gift for my grandson. I did get another one for him that went to Pa.And this one also. Next I got the walkera 5#10 coaxail ( that went to my grandson In Pa.) Next I got the Walkera UFLYS ( that went to Brazil) I wanted a Esky HBFP but no one had trhem in stock so I got the UFLYS. Then I did get a new HBFP I still have it. Then I got another HBFP from Troutbum from the Guides & I put a xtreme metal head a brushless motor, Eflite Gyro, Eflite 2in1 brushless ESC Esky CP3 tail motor and 6 channel orange RX and Spectrumized it. (still have it).Next i got a new Esky Belt CPX when they came out with them, my 1st CP Heli I put an EXI metal Head and Tail box on it eventually( that went to johnson City N.Y.) That was my start. I have more that i will add to my addiction, I just closed a deal on a Trex 500 as i post this. The rest will come when I get the 500. What got you guys adicted to the RC world. :t2030:  Roundman54
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:52:21 PM by davesheli »
I need a 12step progrm 4 my Heli Addiction

Offline Roundman54

• Global Moderator
  • Awards: Stupid PilotsMulti bronzeHoneybee goldTrex 600450 cloneRC addictHeli goldCrotchety Old FartTrex 600
Re: The start of my Heli addiction, What started your RC addiction?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 03:10:59 PM »
This space reserved .Duane
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:13:04 PM by Roundman54 »

Offline Wayne

• Airplane Expert
    • Flying Eagles INC
  • Awards: MulticopterCentury ClubRC AddictPlanker Builder GoldHelicopter Gold
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 04:00:04 PM »
I messed around with the cheap little 2ch deals but wanted to get into the serious stuff, so I found rcguides and went for the hbfpv2, moved onto building 450s, 500s, 600s, 550, and 700.  I got bit bad because I started going to the top pro events at AMA twice a year and love to follow the latest, greatest technology.  Can I reserve a couple spots to help my post count?   :b0206:

Offline Roundman54

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 04:04:33 PM »
If you want. I did that so I can post the pics of all the 450's and 600 and hopefully 500 and my 1sq . i learned from the post king on how to build post counts...... You, :t2980: :b0111: :b0111: :b0111:   :t2030: :t2962:  Duane  just trying to generate some threads to get some participation and would like to know other peoples stories and how they started to get hooked.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 07:19:06 PM by Roundman54 »

Offline Ian

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: oLDFARTHK 450 GTMulticopter GoldNAZAMulti PilotHeli PilotTemporary :)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 04:27:22 PM »
Hi All,

I got addicted by the pure fascination of having total control of a flying object, albeit "total control" being an overstatement  :b0230: :b0230: :b0230:

So started with a 3ch coax, then a 4ch coax, moved on to a HoneyBee V3, also got a Belt CPX, that's where I came across the "guides" forum. Then moved onto the HK450, great feeling to build and fly from scratch, moved onto multi's and who knows what's next  :scratching_chin1:

Ian.

Honey Bee V3,
Belt CPX,
HK450GT,
Blade Nano,
X525,
Disco (Clone),
Alias Quad.

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Men and Their Flying Machines Somewhere Over OZ
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 05:40:42 PM »
Mine actually started with nitro boats, had a hard time finding area in the big city to run them, finally gave up and sold only to get hooked on the off road car craze. Ran those for a few years almost costing me my marriage, A long sabbatical from any RC stuff "KIDS" then finally helis and now multis, still an addiction like the first, nothing has changed except my age :b0230: :b0230: :b0230:

:freeze:   Ice

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline bear1953

• Forum Zombies
  • Going Rotary makes my head spin!
  • Awards: GraphicsBuggy BoyOld FartMulti PilotHeli PilotJokester
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 07:12:14 PM »
My STEP SON.  Bless his little heart.  :face-slap:  Bought an FXD 68688 coaxial, got it into the air and it vanished.  Found by a neighbour up against a tree.  "This isn't going to beat me", says me.   :t26144:  And here I be.  Still.   :b0206:

Offline papascotimini

• Helicopter Pilot
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »
I started with a cheap 3ch coaxial heli bought from a chinese site. The intention was to get a heli that would be able to carry a camera and make some aerial footage. After that I joined myrcguides and after watching Marc's great videos I decided to buy a Walkera Uflys(great heli btw), a HK250, a quadcopter(built by myself. It also flew away after a radio glitch). Last but not least, Duane gave me his Walkera Uflys, adding up to the fleet. The majority of my flights are done using the 2 Uflys. The original idea was never fully accomplished(never used a decent camera on the heli, only a small keychain cam), but that's okay, after all I got into this awesome hobby and met this great bunch of people that hangs around myrcguides and this new forum.

Happy Flying

Papa

2 Walkera UflyS
HK250GT
Lost Quadcopter

Offline spoonerrw

• Forum Zombies
    • My Youtube Channel
  • Awards: Multi pilotHoney Bee GoldHeli BuilderMulticopter GoldHeli Pilot Silver
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 01:01:46 PM »
ive been flying one thing or another for about 40 years. model rockets got me in my fascination of flying and even after all this time... i have over 60 in storage, some of which are now vintage. i got in to nitro planes after i got out of the military in the late 80's. that is where i saw my first rc helicopter (a nitro) and my fascination started. however, after seeing a couple of of planker friends repeatedly crash their first heli, i gave up on the notion, lol. two years ago i just decided... what the heck, why not? naturally i picked the hardest FP known to mankind and had to shelf it in favor of safety for everyone around me  :b0201:.
it was suggested to me that maybe i should try a co-axial first, so i got a Esky Big Lama and a very good friend on the west coast (Firedude52) mentored me on my way. been hooked ever since  :b0206:. i almost gave up the hobby over the Bee, but persistence and patience prevailed, and now i have three Bee's, two of which i built from parts  :coolguy:.
i recently made the move to an mcpx and love flying them, but i always go back to my Bee's  :b0206:. just something about them that i love  :b0111:
"what goes up, will come down... sometimes painfully."
AMA Member... 1063373

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 01:38:56 PM »
Air Hogs. :t1933:

Now I'm  :frokkelled:

r

Offline AKPhill

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: multicopter goldCX 450HK 450RC AddictCriusMulti PilotHeli BuilderOld Fart
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 02:11:26 PM »
U control line planes

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
    • Hughes Aerial Imagery
  • Awards: FPV PilotRC AddictKK2 userMulticopter PilotScrap builds multisBuild helis
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 08:18:59 PM »
It was an AirHog 2 channel that my daughter gave me for Christmas several years ago that started me on the road to addiction.  It would only go up and down, mostly down, but that was enough to intrigue me.  The next Christmas I bought an HBFPV2 and it just about drove me to drink (even more).  It was much harder to fly than I ever expected, and I almost gave up several times, but I swore it wouldn't beat me and I hung on and learned to fly it.  I had so many spare parts that I built another one that I call "Scrap Bee".  I discovered RCguide in the Bee era, and you guys were a true font of knowledge--helped me through a lot of evolution, as did the guys at Helifreak.  I eventually moved to CP and built a couple of 450's--then multi's came along and that was even worse.  I have also been diverted a little by a couple of MCPX's, even converting one to a brushless main.  Now I'm getting hooked on the video side of flying and trying to decipher these brushless gimbals. It never ends!  One thing leads to the next--guess that's why it's so much fun.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:32:25 AM by boykintom »
"I'm learning to fly, around the clouds
But what goes up, must come down"
                                   Tom Petty

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
  • Awards: fpv pilotmultipilot goldrcaddictnazacriusmulticoptergoldscalehelihelipilotsilverwaverunner
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 09:23:37 PM »
My addiction started when I was about 9 or 10 years old when i got a control line Cox PT-19 airplane and learned to fly it very well.

Then soon afterwards I started getting into Estes Rockets. I built over a 100 of these things, but my favorite was one of these.

Then around 11 years of age my parents bought me and my brother each one of these.

All they did was go up about 50' until they ran out of gas then would auto rotate down. Not alot of fun.

When I was about 20 years or so I got one of these for Christmas and really loved it. It was a control line foamy that you could do loops with.

I had bought several of those small balsa air plane kits that you put the dope covered tissues for covering the aircraft and wings with, that are rubber band powered. I had more fun building than flying them.
Then a few years later we lived in Anchorage Alaska and one day as we walked through a mall that had a RC hobby shop. I noticed this 40 sized airplane kit for a very cheap price so I bought it and had a blast putting it together.
It was 20 years ago that I built this plank and it has never flown.
My son has had it all these years hanging in his rafters and stopped by yesterday and brought it back along with another one that I built with him.
It is missing a few things along the years including the plastic front cowl and the pilot canopy. The Plastic kote or what ever it was called back then is wrinkling on some spots, but all in all it still looks good.

Then a few month's later I found this kit and built it.

After completely building it, I took it over to a club and a expert pilot flew it 4 or five times and commented about how well It flew.

Although I had not flown or built anything in a few years after that, I did end up getting one of those little AirHogs, then soon afterwards bought a 4 ch fixed pitch helicopter, Then a 200 sized FBL heli, Then a 400 cp helicopter, then a 450 FBL Then another then another... Well you know. A few helicopters.

I thought I was good with the helicopters until one day my brother showed up with one of these micro quad multi rotor and next thing i know is Now i have 2 450 Quad copters with GPS.
Hey. You asked so I answered.

Mark dancing

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:45:54 PM by Flyingdeutschman »

Offline bazjay38

• Helicopter Pilot
  • Eat more slowly, drink more wine.
  • Awards: Casey JonesHoney BeeQuad Pilot BronzeJoksterOld Farts ClubRC AddictHelicopter Pilot Bronze
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 12:29:37 PM »
As a pre-teen, I would buy small "chuck," glider kits by KeilKraft. None of them flew well but my Dad and I had fun trying. Growing a little older I began to make larger Free Flight kits using a small 1CC Diesel aero motor. I graduated to sending away for plans and building from them. For me, it was the building which I enjoyed more than the flying. Around 18, I went into the Army and met up with a Sgt who was well into model railways. I had always had small layouts my father built but they were really only toys. Now I got serious and after leaving the services (2 Years National Service in England, I was one of the last), began building larger layouts, with scenery, rolling stock and track-side buildings. I never got round to building locos, always bought those. This phase lasted until just a few years ago, when we moved into a succession of homes which could not accommodate large layouts and those were the only ones which interested me. Downsizing into our latest bungalow, I seriously thought about taking up model aircraft again but decided I needed something I could fly in my own yard. A leaflet from an electronics company was advertising a co-ax Chinook, so I asked for one for Christmas - and that was the beginning of the slippery slope. An E-sky Dauphin was quickly followed by another (after I crashed the first one so much!), then a Volitation, quickly followed by an Amex and then a Bee V2, which almost drove me to giving up the hobby - a Blade 4503D restored my faith, then the great little 130X, which I think is my favourite. I was then given a Blade mxq quad, which is great fun. The next step will possibly be the Blade 350 QX as I find quads are better in my location.
I soon discovered the RCforum & Index via Marc's YouTube repair vids for the HoneyBee, and made a good many worldwide friends as a result. Now some old friends and some new ones here.
I'm not a great pilot but obtain a lot of enjoyment from the hobby. Learned a lot too. Someone out there once posted me to say, I'd become better at helicopter repair and maintenance before I became a better pilot - he was right!   
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 03:26:09 PM by bazjay38 »

If it Ain't Spinnin' You Ain't Winnin'

Offline firemanphil

• Helicopter Pilot
  • once a biker always a biker.
  • Awards: Old Farts ClubMultiSilverHeli Pilot Bronze
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 03:20:32 PM »
After i retired from the Fire Service i've always kept busy and rcHelis seem to present me with another  :t1933: challenge,so two or three years ago i started on my quest.Biking is a big interest (the avatar is me at Silverstone ) especially in summer etc. I go to an indoor heli club each week and that has helped with my flying skills.Overall though it's to you boys on the forum who have helped me that i give a big round of  :t2036: