Author Topic: The start of my Heli addiction, What started your RC addiction?  (Read 4174 times)

Offline wiredcycle

• Helicopter Pilot
  • Your never too old to try
  • Awards: Old FartHK 500helipilotsilverhelicopterbronze
Re: The start of my Heli addiction, What started your RC addiction?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 04:07:42 PM »
I got started in model building when I was young,trucks cars by revel and motorcycles by Tamiya and formula 1 cars,awesome kits then it was estys rockets then cox control line planes abit Then a friend and I got into Tamiya rc buggies for quite awhile back in the eighties,then I started restoring cars for a better part of my life and fixing wrecked cars too I just lost interest in anything with a motor,it felt like bringing my job home with me.Now at 50 I'm still working on wrecks for a living and enjoying just plain being home with my wife so I got into building again this time heli's...difficult...sheeeeze but rewarding.  :t2962:

2 hk500 gt's

Offline kpinnc

• Helicopter Pilot
  • Awards: multipilot silverMulticopter Gold
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 09:30:43 AM »
My dad spent alot of time at Ft. Bragg, and when I was about 12 he brought home three target "drones" that had been shot down. They had K&B .61 engines on them, and they were big 6-foot flying foam wings. We combined the best parts of the three to make a decent flyer out of, and added landing gear and a mechanical "mixer" for the elevons that was a nightmare to set up. It flew, but never very well. Back in those days, RC was very expensive and there was no internet so I never did more RC flying afterward until I myself was in the military. I bought a DFC fixed pitch .30 Nitro helicopter that had an OH-58 fuse on it. I spooled it up a few times, but never flew it. I don't even know what it was, to be completely honest. I've never seen anything like it since. I got into the real thing (full scale) in March of 1995, and never touched RC again until recently.

In 2013, I bought my daughter an S-107 coaxial for Christmas. Since it was only $25, I figured it wouldn't fly right right and would be garbage by New Year's day. That's when my addiction started, and I'm a mess ever since. That S-107 is still flying now, and I've bought another for her little sister. They do "battles" in the living room and kitchen regularly, and those little helis just keep going.

My girls both (9 and 10 years old) go to the flying field with me these days, and both have small quads that they try very hard with. LEDs or not, orientation outdoors is hard for kids- but I want them to learn the "hard way", and not rely on a system that holds direction constant like some of the RTF minis out there. They have both expressed interest in flying planes later, so those skills will be a must when they transition up from quads. I hope they will be inspired as I was, and use that in some aspect of life. I also hope my son has an interest when he gets bigger as well.

Offline tntrcnutz

• Helicopter Pilot
  • TIM AND TINA ARE RADIO CONTROL NUTZ
    • My YouTube Videos
  • Awards: Planker pilotPlanker builderoldfartRC AddictHeli PilotHeli Builder
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 11:13:46 PM »
For me it was a simple choice in life. My brother and I have always loved aircraft , we would spend hours on end in the winter building plastics right down to the finest detail. As I got into my last year high school in 1982 -83, peer pressure was taking me to a place where I didn't need to be. I started trying out pot , and drinking. Although smoking pot I only tried about 7 times ,  it didn't even do a thing for me. My brother and I then noticed a flyer posted one day of an R.C. show outside of town and it was at that show that I was hooked.
( Spring of 1983 )

So as I said I made a simple choice.  I couldn't afford both and I wanted planes more............... and the rest is history....................
 I believe that over the years it would have been a lot cheaper to be a drunk and druggy
but this is a better way to get high , and spend money..... at least I have my health and something to show for it
plus for the last 20 years a lovely wife , that also is a flyer, to enjoy it all with and fly with
I am truly thankful for everything

:t1815: :t2030:
here is the heli fleet ready to go

IF FLYING R.C. WAS ILLEGAL... HER AND I WOULD BE CAREER CRIMINALS