Author Topic: New Tri KK operating but acting strange  (Read 3751 times)

Offline sdodd

• Awards: Multi bronzeSleeps with the fish
New Tri KK operating but acting strange
« on: February 19, 2015, 10:27:08 PM »
Hi,
I just completed a KK 2.1 Tri with a Turnigy 9x radio.  After a lot of confusion I think I have it all operating.  I did the best configuration shown in videos.  I followed Dave on Flitetest.  But it is acting strange and I'd like some guidance.

I am no where near ready to lift off.  Upon startup and arming on the floor the rear prop spins quite quickly while the others do not.  If I rock the sticks around everything seems to move in the appropriate directions.  If I adjust the trims I can almost get all the props spinning.  But as I pick up the throttle a bit thee is no clear tendency to correct and remain level. 

What should I consider next?

S
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:32:58 PM by sdodd »
_______
It only has six brushless motors, six ESCs, whirling propellers, batteries, computer, barometer, gyroscopes, GPS and a radios ... what could possibly go wrong?

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
Re: New Tri KK operating but acting strange
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 09:17:33 AM »
If I am understanding your question, then you need to go to Misc. Settings in the menu and then go to Minimum
Throttle
and do your adjustments there....  It normally is about 10...  With the props off, set the number to 10 and see if all the motors will start at the same time, if so, then drop it 1 at a time until they don't and then go back up 1 till they do.... Or if they don't all start at the same time then go up till they do...  (make sure all your trims are centered)...

Make sure all you other settings are right for the Tricopter and also make sure that the ESC's are all calibrated with your throttle...   

I hope that helps some...  :smiley:

:coolguy:

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Men and Their Flying Machines Somewhere Over OZ
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 01:58:30 PM »
After you do what Dave suggested, Keep the props off and hold the tri in your hand and run up the throttle to midpoint, then run through the sticks to see if you can hear and feel any difference when add ali and ele and rudder. You should be able to feel the force of directions in you hand when applying those movements. If those all pan out put the props back on and give her a test run keeping it as calm as you can. You will see the difference between stable level flight and ACRO when you throw the switch.

:freeze:   ****Ice****

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline sdodd

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 11:59:18 PM »
After you do what Dave suggested, Keep the props off and hold the tri in your hand and run up the throttle to midpoint, then run through the sticks to see if you can hear and feel any difference when add ali and ele and rudder. You should be able to feel the force of directions in you hand when applying those movements. If those all pan out put the props back on and give her a test run keeping it as calm as you can. You will see the difference between stable level flight and ACRO when you throw the switch.

Thanks you guys!  I now have the tricopter running well enough to self-level and take off.  I even got the AUX switch set to Gear on the Turnigy and at position  have self-leveling.  I am sure there is more work to do there.  But I can hold a hover for a few seconds.

However, I do have a more serious problem with yaw.

No matter how I set it it pirouettes. I realize one can use the mixer to reverse the rudder control. But no matter which way I put it it spins quickly. How can I debug this issue?
There must be some basic steps to set to get it in the ballpark.

Thanks,

Steve

_______
It only has six brushless motors, six ESCs, whirling propellers, batteries, computer, barometer, gyroscopes, GPS and a radios ... what could possibly go wrong?

Offline sdodd

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 05:23:44 PM »

Thanks you guys!  I now have the tricopter running well enough to self-level and take off.  I even got the AUX switch set to Gear on the Turnigy and at position  have self-leveling.  I am sure there is more work to do there.  But I can hold a hover for a few seconds.

However, I do have a more serious problem with yaw.

No matter how I set it it pirouettes. I realize one can use the mixer to reverse the rudder control. But no matter which way I put it it spins quickly. How can I debug this issue?
There must be some basic steps to set to get it in the ballpark.

Thanks,

Steve

Well, it is flying in self-level mode and staying controllable.

S
_______

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Men and Their Flying Machines Somewhere Over OZ
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 06:20:47 PM »
Steve, if you are still twisting on the yaw, some more adjustments are needed. With a combination of transmitter and KK adjustments you should get it to a point where she wont move. Keep playng with both settings and see how close you can get her stable. A little tip, keep noting your settings on paper as you go, it will get you back in case it's not the right direction. BTDT.

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline sdodd

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 07:14:06 PM »
Steve, if you are still twisting on the yaw, some more adjustments are needed. With a combination of transmitter and KK adjustments you should get it to a point where she wont move. Keep playng with both settings and see how close you can get her stable. A little tip, keep noting your settings on paper as you go, it will get you back in case it's not the right direction. BTDT.

Yes there is more to do.

But last night I spent some time getting everything squared up mechanically just as if there were no controller.  I wanted to feel confident the servo had room to travel both ways.  Then I see the servo of m7 in reverse on the mixer setup.  Then I armed it and went to self-level on AUX p2.  When it came up it acted reasonably.  With a little more confidence it rises up and holds pretty well.  There was a slight breeze causing drift today.  But all in all it was not behaving badly.  I am a very amateur.

Now I need to figure out where I should adjust and also to get it going in non-self-level AUX p1 mode. 

s
_______

Offline sdodd

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 12:42:01 AM »

Yes there is more to do.

s

What is the opinion of the group about dual rates and Expo for a Tricopter,  KK 2.1, Turningy 9x combo?

S
_______

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 06:05:26 AM »
Not sure about the question. I am running D/R's on my setup, I use them to tame mine down depending on how I want to fly.
I also put some expo in it to slow the stick response down just a little with slight stick inputs, but I also have very high stick scaling.

Basically, I think D/R's and Expo is just for your flying style more than what you are flying. But then again I am on meds and could be way off base here.  :b0209:

:coolguy:

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 09:41:40 AM »
DR and EXPO are great for what Dave suggested. Makes it move softer if you want to take it slow.

Offline sdodd

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 12:28:09 PM »
DR and EXPO are great for what Dave suggested. Makes it move softer if you want to take it slow.

Thanks for the input.  I will have to see if I can enable DR and Expos as I have used them before on airplanes on othr transmitters.  No longer young either!
_______