Author Topic: Man shoots down drone  (Read 3377 times)

Offline AKPhill

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: multicopter goldCX 450HK 450RC AddictCriusMulti PilotHeli BuilderOld Fart

Offline jbrumberg

• Forum Zombies
  • Awards: SleepswithfishMulti Pilotoldfart
Re: Man shoots down drone
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 07:33:27 AM »
I read about this yesterday.  I read up on some basic KY gun laws.; KY is pretty "loose" on regarding firearm regulation, but it is a "Castle Doctrine" state.  I do not believe that one can go around in public even on one's personal property brandishing firearms openly and making threats to harm.  I think this shotgun wielding, Glock carrying jerk is in some trouble  :face-slap: :face-slap:

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 10:04:59 AM »
If that would have happened in most southern states, the outcome would have been then same, you just don't invade someones privacy like that, that would be no different if someone just walked into your back yard with a camera on it and video taping your house up close, there are laws about that stuff... (I would release my 2 Dogs (180 pounds total) on them)  :evil:

"It was just right there," he told Ars. "It was hovering, I would never have shot it if it was flying. When he came down with a video camera right over my back deck, that's not going to work. I know they're neat little vehicles, but one of those uses shouldn’t be flying into people's yards and videotaping."

I know lots of people including family members that would have shot it down also...

I hate to see the bad publicity towards our Flying, but there are also idiots out there that are going to have to learn there lesson at some point and I bet this jerk will not be flying in peoples back yards again that close... Like he said, it was not flying around, it was just hovering close to his house/deck...  :t26144:

Well, I know we will have to be careful on this subject as there will be plenty of different opinions, so remember to keep them respectful and clean...
:t2030:

:coolguy:

Offline kpinnc

• Helicopter Pilot
  • Awards: multipilot silverMulticopter Gold
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 11:41:46 AM »
I know lots of people including family members that would have shot it down also...

In the spirit of keeping it clean- The only thing that would have kept me from shooting it down myself is the FAA recent reclassification of these as "aircraft"...

Differing opinions and such aside, if this story is true it was a definite invasion of privacy. I've found a simple question to most folks beforehand will prevent such situations... But that's just the way I fly.

Offline jbrumberg

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 12:03:24 PM »
I agree about respecting another's  private property.

The owner/operator of that multi-rotor aircraft did not exhibit much good judgment on many levels himself by intruding on this guy's property first with the multi-rotor and then himself with a "back up force" that would/could be perceived as a threat.  As I understand the "Castle Doctrine" if there is "reasonable retreat" the firearm owner must retreat and give warning if in open areas.  Inside one's house and/or car the equation changes.  The interpretation of perceived "threat/immediate threat" of personal harm and the use of "deadly force" usually ends up with someone dead and the legality of use of deadly force being "clarified" through legal process.

I live in a remote, isolated, heavily forested rural area.  I have no neighbors within visual range and the closest home to us is ~.25 mile away.  I own firearms and am 'Licensed to Carry".  My first line of defense is the dogs.  I am down to one dog now  :t2321: (for the moment), but the one I do have weighs in at 137#'s.  Before our "point" alpha male passed on  :t2321: I had +200#'s of early warning system operating on the property.  :t2030:.

The different states' gun laws across the CONUS are pretty inconsistent as to firearm ownership, regulation, and licensure.  It goes far beyond the "Castle Doctrine" and "Stand Your Ground" stuff.

I believe that as a firearms owner that it is not a good idea to openly display a firearm anywhere and verbalize threats outside one's home and/or car.  In MA it is possible/probable that I could get charged with threat, threat to harm, assault, and/or assault and battery if I did what that guy did as I understand the MA firearms laws. My opinions are based on the training that I received when I attended the Smith & Wesson Academy in Springfield, MA :coolguy: for pistol training.

Regardless of all the differing opinions about firearm ownership and RC aircraft owner/operators' right to fly; this will be an interesting case when it gets to court.

In the USA right now it is a "charged climate" when it comes to discussion of firearms and the operation of RC aircraft.  Cooler heads and mutual respect must prevail in these discussions.

This discussion actually took place in our town's police department when I went there to renew my "LTC" and I/we (police and another LTC re-applicant) got into a discussion after I asked about any laws, prohibitions, and/or restrictions from flying an RC aircraft over the public domain.  There are no known restrictions, but I left there believing that the police would not pursue charges against anyone who did shoot a "drone" down over their own property depending on that property's size and location.

A responsible O/O should know beforehand what is allowed and prohibited to do at any location before launch and ask permission to fly if on private property, and respect the rights and privacy of abutting neighbors.

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 12:25:12 PM »
I agree Jay... But the only thing he did was let them know if they crossed as line (4 against 1) he would shot them... I agree with Him on that one...

"Minutes later, a car full of four men that he didn’t recognize rolled up, "looking for a fight."

"Are you the son of a b***h that shot my drone?" one said, according to Merideth.

His terse reply to the men, while wearing a 10mm Glock holstered on his hip: "If you cross that sidewalk onto my property, there’s going to be another shooting."

Can't argue with that statement too much...  :0042v1: :b0201: :b0201: :b0201:

Our law enforcement in the city I grew up in and the one I live in now (side by side, same county) has a reputation for shooting and then asking what/why you where breaking the Law (a little exaggerated, but close and they will shoot)... We have a VERY LOW crime rate here....  :b0201: :b0201: :b0206:

Offline AKPhill

• Multirotor Expert
  • Awards: multicopter goldCX 450HK 450RC AddictCriusMulti PilotHeli BuilderOld Fart
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 12:47:28 PM »
if a strange quad was hovering over my deck I would do the same
And if 4 dudes showed up to contest they would have met the same response this home owner gave them
I have a lot of patience but not much tolerance for ignorance  :showing-ass:

Offline jbrumberg

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 12:55:33 PM »
I would not want a carful of strangers driving up into my driveway without some kind of "official" identification either  :t2970: ; especially if my "early warning system" is/are showing raised hackles  :t1933: :t1933:.    They are the first line of defense.  What  :frokkelled: me is that I can not defend them with deadly force if it came down to protecting them.  :t2105: That's MA law.  :sad:

My wife got "911'd" two weeks ago (She's ~"OK" now)  The first responders arrived within 3 minutes (non police).  The police officers arrived within 5 minutes.  Amazing response time for where we live, but a lot can happen in 5 minutes.  :0042v1:

An owner/operator of a typical multi-rotor or any RC aircraft for that matter would have a lot of challenges to address before being able to fly over my property.  :coolguy:

I have shot a quad down with my 12 gauge.  It was mine and it was tree snagged.  It took two deer slugs for the rescue operation.  No harm to my quad.  The tree lost ~10' of top.  "Shorty" has since recovered and no longer goes after my RC aircraft....  None of the trees do anymore- they saw what happened to "Shorty".
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 01:03:58 PM by jbrumberg »

Offline spoonerrw

• Forum Zombies
    • My Youtube Channel
  • Awards: Multi pilotHoney Bee GoldHeli BuilderMulticopter GoldHeli Pilot Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 01:10:04 PM »
I cant say I disagree with the property owners actions. if these idiots who have invaded our fine hobby, using less than good judgement and common sense would realize that they too fall under the guidelines of the FAA, learn first what those rules are, respect the rights and privacy of others, and kept their "drone with camera" where it belonged... the incident would never have happened.
this is clear and simple to me... they invaded someone else's privacy just as if they had walked on to the property themselves. just my 2 cents worth though, and hopefully the legal system will uphold right to privacy? bad news for our hobby, but maybe this is what it is going to take to get the vermon out of it so the rest of us can enjoy it?

I guess it is a good thing someone wasn't sunbathing nude in the yard, or even worse (since it was in Kentucky)... operating an illegal stihl, lol.
"what goes up, will come down... sometimes painfully."
AMA Member... 1063373

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 01:17:23 PM »
"Shorty" has since recovered and no longer goes after my RC aircraft....  None of the trees do anymore- they saw what happened to "Shorty".

:b0201: :b0201: :b0201: :b0201: :b0201:   Maybe that is what I need to do to my trees....  :b0201: :b0201: :b0201: :b0201:      :0042v1:

I loved that one Jay...  :evil:

Offline jbrumberg

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 01:45:05 PM »
Dave-  I hate to admit this, but it was one of my SYMA X1's that got treed.  Those 2 12 gauge deer slugs that I used were probably worth more than the quad.   :rolleyes:  :t2962:

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Men and Their Flying Machines Somewhere Over OZ
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 01:50:01 PM »
Up here in the northern counties, it is unlawful to discharge any type of weapon including BB guns, So that would get the shooter in more hot water than the pilot. But then there is nothing on the laws about a few 3/8" diameter ball bearings from a slingshot the would do considerable damage as well. Even though I do pilot these same types of quads, I would be leery if someone was hovering over my property taking video as well. There are way to many open spaces to do that.
JMO

:freeze:   ****Ice****

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline jbrumberg

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 01:54:36 PM »

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 02:10:39 PM »
it will be interesting to see what develops out of all this when it's over.

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 02:23:11 PM »
Thanks for the update Jay.....
That is a pretty good shot from over 272 feet up plus however far away it was (supposedly) with a shotgun using bird shot and it moving at speed not hovering. Just my thoughts unless I missed something. Lol

But I will be watching to see how this turns out, please keep us updated Jay....