Author Topic: Man shoots down drone  (Read 3378 times)

Offline jbrumberg

• Forum Zombies
  • Awards: SleepswithfishMulti Pilotoldfart
Re: Man shoots down drone
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 02:33:57 PM »
I read somewhere that it took 3 shots with his shotgun to down that quad.  So he was either not a great shot if it was closer as the shooter reported and/or he was at extreme range for the shells he was using and a decent shot.  :scratching_chin1:

Shooting a shotgun into the air over one's neighbors is not a good way to keep friendly relations going.  I guess with a Glock one really doesn't want to be "kissy kissy" with others.  :t1815:

Actually there is no food fighting going on at RCG about this incident so far.  :t2030:  At least that I am aware.  :b0230:

Guns + Drones = Big Trouble  :0042v1:

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 02:51:02 PM »
Yeah, I am glad it is going the way it is so far.

Offline jbrumberg

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 09:46:06 AM »
The plot sickens and thickens regarding that guy who downed that quad and the O/O:

http://www.wdrb.com/story/29675427/d...ivacy-invasion

Now we have a missing SD card from the downed quad, and the O/O is asking for it and the shooter nor anyone else knows where it is.

Compounding the story is that the O/O is apparently a real NOOB at least as it relates to that quad. I believe it was his second flight with it when it got shot down.

"Bird, Fish, & Game" magazine recommends Magnum Load #2 birdshot steel or lead ball. I would think that steel ball would be better and is more environmentally friendly.  :scratching_chin1:  Not as much range or impact kinetic energy though. 

One could probably run a degaussing tool over those steel shot shells to magnetize the shot.  I think that would make a very primitive electro-energy field weapon.   :coolguy:  :0042v1:

Offline spoonerrw

• Forum Zombies
    • My Youtube Channel
  • Awards: Multi pilotHoney Bee GoldHeli BuilderMulticopter GoldHeli Pilot Silver
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 09:51:26 AM »
it will be interesting to see what the truth really is and what happens?

hey Jay... doesn't matter if it was a DJI, or a Syma, that pesky tree of yours snatched. these trees have to be put in their place and learn to keep their branches to themselves. nice shootin' Tex!
 :b0201: :b0206:
"what goes up, will come down... sometimes painfully."
AMA Member... 1063373

Offline jbrumberg

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 10:03:28 AM »
I am a little  :t1933: that it took two shots.  I hit the "mark" both times.  The first shot was above the pine tree branch where the SYMA got snagged.  I assumed that the tree that far up would bend/sway enough from the slug's impact to throw the quad free.  All that shot did was blow the top of the tree off.  :headslap: :coolguy:.  The second shot was directly below the offending branch.  That effectively trisected the tree and SYMA, branch, and tree came down leaving the quad undamaged.  :t2030:  I put another battery in the quad and it took off like nothing ever happened. :t2962:

Offline kpinnc

• Helicopter Pilot
  • Awards: multipilot silverMulticopter Gold
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 11:11:05 PM »
The different states' gun laws across the CONUS are pretty inconsistent as to firearm ownership, regulation, and licensure.  It goes far beyond the "Castle Doctrine" and "Stand Your Ground" stuff.

No kidding. In my state, open carry is authorized for any adult in good standing with the law. Anyone who has even been charged (not convicted) with any form of violent behavior typically has no rights to firearms- much less a conviction of such- BUT, it is an open carry state. Two of the three bordering states require concealed and locked transport not on your person. You have to really pay attention to where you are and how you carry in this area. I have a few firearms strategically placed in my home, and I do go target shooting when I can. I think responsible ownership is a good thing, but I'm not a nut over them. I believe in my right (and responsibility) to protect myself, my family and my home.

Castle doctrine in this state at least extends to your car, place of work, or even a motel room. But, I don't think it extends to the airspace over your property. While I personally agree with the response of the man if he felt his privacy was threatened- I fear it won't be long before this type of action becomes a rallying cry for new laws that will equally disappoint both sides.

I haven't seen the video from the O/O, but if the quad was truly at 250+ feet, I don't think the shooter has much of an argument left. At 100 feet, my GoPro 4 Black can't show me the difference between a person or a pine tree. While the average person doesn't know that, it's easy to prove it.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out...