Author Topic: WMP 12 / ASF file?  (Read 998 times)

Offline spoonerrw

• Forum Zombies
    • My Youtube Channel
  • Awards: Multi pilotHoney Bee GoldHeli BuilderMulticopter GoldHeli Pilot Silver
WMP 12 / ASF file?
« on: May 15, 2016, 03:07:48 PM »
I have windows 8.1 with windows media player 12. I recently installed a home surveillance system that operates from its own monitor. it is only a 640x480 system with audio and IR, but it records in .ASF file format and there is no option to change it to any other file type. it is not a name brand system and the truth is, I am not even sure that the name on the back, "Mountainone" is a real manufacturer?

media player 12 is supposed to support .ASF file format, but when I try to play a file, I get this message...
"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

movie maker wont open it either, so I am at a loss to know what to do to be able to view the files on my pc? is there a codec I can download, or a safe player I can install, or possibly a safe converter to change the file type for use with media player?

I have searched all over the internet, but it is a bit overwhelming and I get conflicting information about this? media player 12 should play this file, but it does not. there was some question as to whether all ASF files are Microsoft in origin, stating that some are just listed that way using another type of file not of Microsoft, but I am unable to determine this.

any suggestions would be much appreciated.  :t2030:
"what goes up, will come down... sometimes painfully."
AMA Member... 1063373

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
Re: WMP 12 / ASF file?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 01:32:15 PM »
One I have been using for a few years now is this one:

http://www.any-video-converter.com/

Sorry for not reading this post earlier. I'll PM you as well....

Offline tntrcnutz

• Helicopter Pilot
  • TIM AND TINA ARE RADIO CONTROL NUTZ
    • My YouTube Videos
  • Awards: Planker pilotPlanker builderoldfartRC AddictHeli PilotHeli Builder
Re: WMP 12 / ASF file?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 07:35:24 AM »
You might also try VLC Media Player . It is free and supports a slew of formats

:coolguy:

IF FLYING R.C. WAS ILLEGAL... HER AND I WOULD BE CAREER CRIMINALS