Author Topic: I have a question on this TX  (Read 3686 times)

Offline tntrcnutz

• Helicopter Pilot
  • TIM AND TINA ARE RADIO CONTROL NUTZ
    • My YouTube Videos
  • Awards: Planker pilotPlanker builderoldfartRC AddictHeli PilotHeli Builder
Re: I have a question on this TX
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2017, 09:00:28 AM »
I have been using these for the last 1 1/2 years on both transmitter and rx and with no disappointment's .

http://www.valuehobby.com/index.php

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/batteries/life.html

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/batteries/life/gforce-5c-1800mah-3s-life.html

They have a fast charge time and last far longer , in my case around 50 flights or more on them .
Could be more but i havn't pushed the limits yet .
Voltage drop is almost non existent when stored and fire hazards don't seem to be a problem .
I researched them a lot and have not heard or seen anything to suggest this.
Here is a you vid that will explain them . hope this helps

IF FLYING R.C. WAS ILLEGAL... HER AND I WOULD BE CAREER CRIMINALS

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
  • famous last words...hey Hold My Beer & Watch This.
  • Awards: Casey JonesGround PounderHeli Pilot SilverPlanker Pilot SilvermulticoptersilverNazaMulti Pilot BronzeRC AddictOld Farts Club
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2017, 08:35:26 PM »
 :t2981: Tom, tntrcnutz, & Randy  :t2030:

Randy. I might be asking a lot of questions even after watching the videos. I'm going to start working on it when I get the new Rx on Wednesday. I do have one question. when I hook up the X8R receiver to the Naza lite I understand that I only need to use one cable coming from the Naza lite and plug it into the SBUS port and bind it to either D8 or D16 now is that true?

thanks guys for your help. Jeff. :coolguy:

BTW does anyone have and use one of these? is it worth getting or is it just a waste of money?

https://www.amazon.com/Holdpeak-866B-Digital-Anemometer-Handheld/dp/B00ZHKWCP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483925580&sr=8-1&keywords=Holdpeak+866B+Digital+Anemometer+Handheld

Offline tntrcnutz

• Helicopter Pilot
  • TIM AND TINA ARE RADIO CONTROL NUTZ
    • My YouTube Videos
  • Awards: Planker pilotPlanker builderoldfartRC AddictHeli PilotHeli Builder
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2017, 03:09:28 AM »
Never used one of those myself but I heard they pretty good though .

I usually wet my finger and point it up the old fashioned way... yuk yuk yuk

:turkey: :b0264:

IF FLYING R.C. WAS ILLEGAL... HER AND I WOULD BE CAREER CRIMINALS

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
    • Hughes Aerial Imagery
  • Awards: FPV PilotRC AddictKK2 userMulticopter PilotScrap builds multisBuild helis
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2017, 05:10:39 AM »
I have never used an anemometer, and never really thought about needing one.  If the wind is blowing hard enough for the wind chimes to ring on the front porch, then I don't fly.   :t2030: :t2030:
"I'm learning to fly, around the clouds
But what goes up, must come down"
                                   Tom Petty

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2017, 09:25:55 AM »
As for the connection to the NAZA Lite, yes only one cable and set the radio to D16 or the X8R.

Never used an anemometer like the one you linked to, but have looked at them in the past. It was on my list of thing to get, but never made it to the top.

They do have anemometer apps for your android. I've tried a couple without great results, but that could just be me.

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
  • Awards: Casey JonesGround PounderHeli Pilot SilverPlanker Pilot SilvermulticoptersilverNazaMulti Pilot BronzeRC AddictOld Farts Club
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2017, 06:13:32 PM »
 :scratching_chin1:  what all do I need to download on this Tx? or is it good to go out of the box?  I've been watching videos on this and learning a lot I think. I still have a lot of questions. I will be getting my Rx tomorrow so I'll be asking a few questions on setting it up on the TX. I also want to add Telemetry sensors like Voltage Sensor, GPS sensor, altitude, or whatever you guys use, can someone recommend what I need and where to buy it. you all have a lot more experience with this stuff than I do. I really appreciate all the help you all have given me so far  :t2946:  :t2030: :t2030:

thanks. Jeff  :coolguy:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 11:26:49 PM by highflyer »

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 09:04:07 AM »
Hi Jeff,
You shouldn't have to DL anything for the radio itself, but you might want to DL the OpenTX Companion software. Note that you can do everything you need to do within the radio and Companion is not necessary, however, Companion is a lot easier and allows you to simulate before actually writing to the radio.

Short description of OpenTX Companion software
http://open-txu.org/glossary/opentx-companion/

Download link:
http://www.open-tx.org/downloads

I can't remember much about telemetry. I think some features are inherent in the X8R

I'm running 2.0.20 but you may as well grab the latest version.

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 09:25:05 PM »
 :t2030: Randy

I started working on it I have the old Rx out and have the new one hooked up didn't bind it yet. on my Tx I have the mode set at D16, now on the channel range do I leave it at CH1-8 or do I change that to 16 also? and on Failsafe what should that be set at? and the external RF is showing Mode PPM and CH range CH1-8 do I need to change that or leave that alone? oh yeah, do I need to use the jumpers for anything?

thanks. Jeff  :coolguy:

UPDATE
  I'm having problems binding the X8R to the Taranis. I have the cable plugged into the SBUS on the Rx and into the X2 port on the Naza. I put the TX to bind and was beeping I then pushed the FS button on the Rx and powered it up there was NO light blinking on the Rx but the Naza was beeping. :t1933: am I doing something wrong? PLEASE HELP  :t2416:

THANKS. Jeff  :coolguy:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:44:35 AM by highflyer »

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2017, 10:23:52 AM »
Sorry I didn't see this last night. Lemme take a look and answer all your questions. A couple I can answer now:
Leave your channel range on 1-8
Set the FailSafe to CUSTOM
Set the External RF Mode to OFF
No you don't need any jumpers.

The binding is what I have to look at. FrSky binding with the Taranis is usually fast- almost immediate. The trick is pressing the bind button on the RX while you are applying power - so you need three hands. From your description it sounds like you're doing it properly. But why do you have the X8R connected to the NAZA? I would try to bind without that.

Having said that, you have a newer radio and a newer X8R so the procedure may be different. I'll have to check. Also binding is really quick and you may not even notice it. The only way to know is to power off and then power back on to check. I'll check back in later after I've had a chance to refresh my memory.

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
    • Hughes Aerial Imagery
  • Awards: FPV PilotRC AddictKK2 userMulticopter PilotScrap builds multisBuild helis
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2017, 12:32:48 PM »
It has been a while since I needed to bind with my X8R, so I'll need to look back at some things and refresh my memory.  I don't recall having much trouble with it. 
                                   Tom Petty

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2017, 04:10:26 PM »
thanks guys

I know this is a dumb question but how do I power up the RX if it isn't hooked up to my quad?

a few videos I've seen show that jumpers are used and the Rx is hooked up to Naza when binding.

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
    • Hughes Aerial Imagery
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2017, 06:04:07 PM »
I don't recall having to jump anything, but this  link specifically illustrates what to do for the Naza, so I guess that's right.

https://www.fpvblog.com/rctech/how-to-bind-x8r-to-the-frsky-taranis-in-different-modes
                                   Tom Petty

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2017, 02:38:30 AM »
 :t2981: Tom I didn't receive a manual with the X8R :t1933:

ok I got a green light on the Rx. I hooked up everything on my F450 powered it up and nothing no light on Rx.I went into the assist powered up the quad and nothing happened no flashing lights on the V-sen the only thing that was happening was the flight controller and RX was beeping. I tried to rebind and nothing happened  :t1933: :t1933: :t1933: :t1933: :t1933: :t1933: :t1933: :t1933: I spent 5 hours working on this F***ing thing I'm ready to go in the field with my Glock 9 and empty a clip into it and go back to my 9X. now I have to find out why the v-sen isn't working  :t1933:

Jeff  :t2416: :t2416:

ok I calmed down now :b0206: the v-sen not working bothered so I ended up removing all the lights I added. I checked the ESC wires to make sure the were plugged in right they were and power wires were ok :t2030: I checked the wires coming from the v-sen the LED plug was plugged in the Naza right But the other plug was NOT plugged in where would that plug go? flight controller or in the RX? would that one wire that wasn't plugged in have anything to do with the Rx not to bind?

anain thanks for all your help I really appreciate it. Jeff  :coolguy:

BTW has anyone seen these antenna mount anywhere?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01INFX6A4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2UJDHQKL15NML&coliid=I1P056SUQY92K9

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:02:57 AM by highflyer »

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
    • Hughes Aerial Imagery
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2017, 07:22:00 AM »
Jeff,

I'm sorry to hear you are having troubles with the Taranis, but my advice is to hang in there. As you get used to it, I think you will love it.  Mine has been faultless and will do everything and more that I need a tx to do.  I dug out my x8r manual and scanned it, so if you don't mind sending me a PM with you email address, I will be glad to send that to you.  It explains the binding process in some detail.

Tom
                                   Tom Petty

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2017, 11:59:30 PM »
thanks for sending that Tom  :t2030:

but it's still isn't working. :t1933: when holding down the bind button all it does is show a solid red light. when released light goes out I tried it 5 or 6 times and the same thing. I even tried to bind it to the Naza as shown in a video with no luck. not even a red light. I think I just got a bad Rx I'm going to return it to Amazon and order a new one. again thank you for all your help :t2030:

Jeff  :coolguy: