Author Topic: question for Taranis users  (Read 408 times)

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
  • famous last words...hey Hold My Beer & Watch This.
  • Awards: Casey JonesGround PounderHeli Pilot SilverPlanker Pilot SilvermulticoptersilverNazaMulti Pilot BronzeRC AddictOld Farts Club
question for Taranis users
« on: August 28, 2017, 04:33:46 AM »
I have a question for the Taranis users. I would like to know what firmware are you guy's using?? the radio is showing 2.0.20 on it. I just checked the SD card in my Tx the firmware shows nothing & the amber sounds shows it twice how do I remove one of them??

Thanks Jeff :coolguy:

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
    • Hughes Aerial Imagery
  • Awards: FPV PilotRC AddictKK2 userMulticopter PilotScrap builds multisBuild helis
Re: question for Taranis users
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 05:41:40 AM »
Jeff,

I haven't been using my Taranis much lately as the P4 has been the only ship I've been flying with any frequency, but I'll try to take a look at it today and see about the version and the Amber sounds and report back.

Tom
"I'm learning to fly, around the clouds
But what goes up, must come down"
                                   Tom Petty

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
  • Awards: Casey JonesGround PounderHeli Pilot SilverPlanker Pilot SilvermulticoptersilverNazaMulti Pilot BronzeRC AddictOld Farts Club
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 06:56:04 AM »
 :t2981: Tom

I'm hoping to get things fixed. if not I will have to send it out to be repaired. :t2416: I've been up all night trying to figure what the problem is & why I'm not getting any sound coming out.

Thanks  Jeff  :coolguy: 

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
    • Hughes Aerial Imagery
  • Awards: FPV PilotRC AddictKK2 userMulticopter PilotScrap builds multisBuild helis
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 11:55:38 AM »
My version is opentx-taranis-plus-2.0.17.  Can't see but one group of sounds and it is listed as "en", although I do have the Amber voice on the TX.  I guess you've checked all the volume settings in radio setup?
                                   Tom Petty

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 02:45:10 PM »
yes, all volume settings are checked.

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 01:13:31 PM »
Hey Jeff,

I have the same version 2.0.20.
on my SD card i have only one directory for sound and it's titled [SOUNDS] (imagine that).
Under that directory I have this:
[..] (which if selected by pressing the enter button, taes you back up one directory)
And this:
[en] (which if selected takes me to all of the individual sound files as well as any other Directories of sound files I have added)

If you have two Amber sound directories, most likely that is what is causing the confusion. You are right about having to remove one of them. You will have to remove the sound card to do that outside the Taranis or use Companion to access the card and remove it (I have not tried this method, but am assuming it can be done).

If you do remove the card to access it, I would suggest you add a directory titled [SOUNDS] and place your Amber directory within that.
Hope this helps..

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 01:39:19 PM »
 :t2981: Randy   :t2030: :t2030:

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 01:51:38 PM »
Hey Jeff,
Just went through the Companin TX and there is no way to change the directory using that software. You WILL have to do it outside the radio.

Lemme know if it works.

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 10:05:17 AM »
Hi Randy

I tried that still couldn't get things to work  :t2954: I watch almost every video on YT and still nothing :t2954: whats going on. one minute it's working great and the next it isn't. I ended up sending it to be repaired there's an eBay seller I deal with (Helibatics) and he's going to hopefully get it working. 

Jeff :coolguy:

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »
 :t2980: after countless hours of  :t2416: :t2416: :t2416: :t2416: :t2338: I finally got my radio working. It turns out it was the ribbon cables that caused all the problems.

Jeff  :coolguy:

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 08:36:45 AM »
So how did you find out?

Glad you got it working though  :t2980: :t2980:

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 01:33:51 PM »
Hey Randy
the guy I sent it to found that the cables weren't seated in right after the backboard was replaced. I'm good to go now I've upgraded the antenna to 5 db, upgraded the gimbals to the M9 which are really nice there so much better than the stock ones well worth the $40 bucks. & upgraded the firmware to V2.2

Jeff  :coolguy:

Offline boykintom

• Multirotor Expert
    • Hughes Aerial Imagery
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 05:40:55 AM »
Jeff,

Can you tell a lot of difference after the antenna upgrade?  Better range?

Tom
                                   Tom Petty

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 10:19:57 PM »
Hey Tom

I haven't tried it out yet. I asked the guy who fixed my Tx and this is what he told me.

(Quote)

Dave from heliBatics Ebay seller

Hi Jeff

The range increase won't be huge.  To explain in more detail, you need to increase the power or effective power by 4x to double the distance.  Every 3dB is a double of power or signal strength, so 6dB is needed to double the distance, more or less.  Going from a 2dB to 5dB antenna is a 3dB gain, so you might get a 40% increase in range, under ideal conditions.  Also be sure to mount your receiver antennas at 90 degrees from each other, and as far apart as possible, and as clear as possible (not behind carbon fiber, metal or any other materials that will affect radio waves).  Also keep your transmitter antenna perpendicular to your aircraft for best range.  Hope that all makes sense!

Dave B

jeff  :coolguy: