Author Topic: What is OPTO and is it better than Bec?  (Read 117 times)

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
  • I have become comfortably numb
  • Awards: KK2Heli Pilot SilverHelicopter SilverRC AddictMulti Pilot BronzeOld Farts ClubMulti Pilot Bronze
What is OPTO and is it better than Bec?
« on: October 09, 2018, 12:36:16 AM »
I'm getting ready to dive into my hexcopter video platform and I'm looking at different components and I'm trying to decide on motors and ESC's. I'm leaning towards 30amp and Simonk as opposed to BLheli but I have to decide between Bec and OPTO and I'm just not real clear on what exactly OPTO does and is it better than Bec? I would also appreciate any input on Simonk and Blheli and also should I go with 30amp or will 20amp do. Probably looking at 2212 or 2213 class motors. I've tried to use that calc program but it seems like you have to already have to have the answer, I guess it's just too much for my old feeble mind to figure out.
                          :b0708: :b0708: :b0201: :b0201:

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
Re: What is OPTO and is it better than Bec?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 09:43:36 AM »
Here's a decent article on the subject:
https://www.dronetrest.com/t/what-to-consider-when-buying-a-esc-for-your-multirotor/1305

As I recall, I used two batteries on my big hex. A big one for the motors and a smaller one for accessories, but I can't remember why.
 :headslap:

It's confusing for sure.

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
  • I have become comfortably numb
  • Awards: KK2Heli Pilot SilverHelicopter SilverRC AddictMulti Pilot BronzeOld Farts ClubMulti Pilot Bronze
Re: What is OPTO and is it better than Bec?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 10:05:16 AM »
You got that right Randy.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 11:25:57 AM by Bigal1951 »