Author Topic: DJI Spark  (Read 244 times)

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
  • Awards: fpv pilotmultipilot goldrcaddictnazacriusmulticoptergoldscalehelihelipilotsilverwaverunner
DJI Spark
« on: October 26, 2018, 01:39:42 PM »
I just ordered the DJI spark. Lets see how it is.

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
Re: DJI Spark
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 08:38:48 AM »
when you think about it, they have been the company that changed this industry. You could almost say the created it  :t2923:

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
  • Awards: fpv pilotmultipilot goldrcaddictnazacriusmulticoptergoldscalehelihelipilotsilverwaverunner
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 11:23:19 AM »
A co worker brought one to work and I was extremely impressed with it.
 It has everything including obstacle avoidance system. He had the thing over a mile away and the video was still clear as a bell and we were in the office whole time he was flying it.
The battery got low and it returned and landed just one foot from where it took off. He didn't have to really fly it. He just pushed a button and it launched and then put his finger on the screen and it flew there. pretty impressive. I get mine Monday.

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
  • famous last words...hey Hold My Beer & Watch This.
  • Awards: Casey JonesGround PounderHeli Pilot SilverPlanker Pilot SilvermulticoptersilverNazaMulti Pilot BronzeRC AddictOld Farts Club
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 06:51:00 AM »
Hi Mark that looks pretty cool  :t2030: pictures & videos please & a review of it.

:coolguy: Jeff

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 03:56:06 PM »
I received it on Monday. I didn't really want to do any actual flying and trying all the modes to it until I fully understand most of it.

This compact pocket drone is the most intelligent drone that I have ever seen in the market for its size and capabilities for a much cheaper price than its counterparts.
The DJI Spark uses the DJI go4 app (Just like the Hextors do) It has the best HUD and PIP so you can see your flight track or even set waypoints with the touch of your finger.
So far it has 3 ways to control it:
 #1- Hand gesture mode. You can turn the spark on and just use your hands to make it move with your hand. no controller or phone control.. just your hand. You can signal it to follow your hand, wave at it and it tracks you then moves back and gains a little bit more altitude in which they call the "Follow me mode"

After trying this out, I found out that this is probably not a good mode for me without at least binding it to my phone. After tracking me and following me for about a hundred feet, I turned around and started heading in the opposite direction. It started to turn with me then about half way through it lost tracking me and just sat there hovering. I tried to regain hand gesture control but it wouldn't pick me up so I had to get my phone and bind with it to gain control to bring it down otherwise I would have had to wait for the battery to diminish for it to land.

If it is at follow me mode and you want to bring it back to you so you can land (Palm land) It will launch and land on the palm of your hand. The hand gesture for that is simply put both hands in the air (Like you are signaling a touchdown on a football game and it will come back to you. Also if at anytime you want to start recording then you put only one hand in the air (Right hand above your head pointing to 2 o'clock position) and it will start recording. You have to palm land in order for it to stop recording.

So now I don't use follow me mode without using my phone for back up control.

#2- smart phone control:
This mode works well with the spark only if you are keeping it close. (approx. 50 yards away or closer) as the video link and phone control signal is lost and in about 6 seconds, it will return to home.

I like to use this mode for: Follow me, Dronie, helicopter, circle, and rocket mode. These are all hella cool and work flawlessly.
(Be carful because the OAS-obstacle avoidance system only works from the front of the spark. If it is going backwards than it wont avoid things like trees. Sorry Dave.)

You can launch/land either on the ground or the palm of you hand using you phone.

#3- RC TX Controller: This is the best way to control your spark if you are trying to capture good videos and is much easier to control than the other two methods mentioned earlier.

You can set you phone up and it cradles at the bottom of the controller. You can either connect with the OTG cord and plug directly to the controller or connect with the Wi-Fi. I found less video lag with the OTG cable.

Along with all the functions from the other two, the controller will go a much further distant. I have had it to a mile and a half without any loss of video or signal loss from the controller. After that distance, the spark went into RTH. (It judges your distance of battery power and goes into RTH so that it can return with ample battery power to make it back.)

There is much more testing to do and when the weather clears up then I will post some videos.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 04:03:41 PM by Flyingdeutschman »

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
  • I have become comfortably numb
  • Awards: KK2Heli Pilot SilverHelicopter SilverRC AddictMulti Pilot BronzeOld Farts ClubMulti Pilot Bronze
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 10:13:55 PM »
Hey Mark, that thing sounds really cool, can't wait for some videos. If you don't mind me asking where did you get it from? 
 :t2030: :t2030:

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 09:30:17 AM »
 :b0703:
Wowzer!
Things have certainly come a LONG way in a short time. I'm thinking I need to look into one.

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 12:29:46 PM »
Hey Mark, that thing sounds really cool, can't wait for some videos. If you don't mind me asking where did you get it from? 

I acually purchased mine used. A co- worker had a friend that  has sevral drones for his bussiness of photography. He only used it for a couple of flights but wanted videos in 4k so he sold this one to me for $300. Evadenlty 1080p is not good enough anymore.
 It looks very new and flies perfect. It came with a very nice case two batteries, prop gaurds (I dont use them) and a charger.

If you get one then I would recommend getting one with the fly more package. Around $500. Most sparks sold cheap are just the spark only without the controller.

Watch as many youtube videos of it as I did before purchasing it.
Another co- worker has the DJI Mavic pro. It has 4k video and the arms fold up. It's about double the size of the spark and has all of the same features. The cons are that it's not as durable as the spark and sells for a mere $1000. :b0703:

I just cant seem to be comfortable flying a machine around that cost so much. It wouldnt be fun for me as I would be parronoid the whole time flying it.
 The price of the Spark fit right into my price range (Although it took some convincing to my Minister of finances).
It also has a feature on the app that if you loose your spark, you can go to the DJI app and click on" find my drone" and via google earth it will show you where it last shut down at. It shows where you currently are at in current time and you just follow the arrow to reclaim your Spark.. REALLY COOL!

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
  • Awards: Casey JonesGround PounderHeli Pilot SilverPlanker Pilot SilvermulticoptersilverNazaMulti Pilot BronzeRC AddictOld Farts Club
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 12:35:25 PM »
now I want one  :t2030: do you think the $549.00 is worth it???
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 01:30:50 PM by highflyer »

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 01:33:16 PM »

I acually purchased mine used. A co- worker had a friend that  has sevral drones for his bussiness of photography. He only used it for a couple of flights but wanted videos in 4k so he sold this one to me for $300. Evadenlty 1080p is not good enough anymore.
 It looks very new and flies perfect. It came with a very nice case two batteries, prop gaurds (I dont use them) and a charger.

If you get one then I would recommend getting one with the fly more package. Around $500. Most sparks sold cheap are just the spark only without the controller.

Watch as many youtube videos of it as I did before purchasing it.
Another co- worker has the DJI Mavic pro. It has 4k video and the arms fold up. It's about double the size of the spark and has all of the same features. The cons are that it's not as durable as the spark and sells for a mere $1000. :b0703:

I just cant seem to be comfortable flying a machine around that cost so much. It wouldnt be fun for me as I would be parronoid the whole time flying it.
 The price of the Spark fit right into my price range (Although it took some convincing to my Minister of finances).
It also has a feature on the app that if you loose your spark, you can go to the DJI app and click on" find my drone" and via google earth it will show you where it last shut down at. It shows where you currently are at in current time and you just follow the arrow to reclaim your Spark.. REALLY COOL!
  Minister of finances  :b0201:

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 02:52:17 PM »
now I want one  :t2030: do you think the $549.00 is worth it???
Can you link that one to me?
It just depends on what all it comes with.

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 11:15:29 AM »

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 12:14:18 AM by highflyer »

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 11:14:51 AM »
This is the one I have:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FSLabs-DJI-Spark-6-In-1-Rapid-Parallel-Battery-Charger-Smart-Multi-Hub-Worldwide/273060589573?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I just got it and haven't tried it yet, but it has great reviews. My co worker has the DJI charger. It has 2 USB slots on that one also, but only charges 3 batteries and costs about $40. more so I went this direction with it.
UPDATE:
I just charged two DJI batteries, the controller, and my phone all on this charger and it took 30 or so minutes to charge the controller and 45 minutes to charge the DJI batteries. Works great so far!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 03:12:44 PM by Flyingdeutschman »

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 05:50:28 PM »
Thanks, Mark  :t2030: