Author Topic: My 55 gal. African Cichlid tank.  (Read 151 times)

Offline Bigal1951

• Forum Zombies
  • I have become comfortably numb
  • Awards: KK2Heli Pilot SilverHelicopter SilverRC AddictMulti Pilot BronzeOld Farts ClubMulti Pilot Bronze
My 55 gal. African Cichlid tank.
« on: April 14, 2019, 07:07:05 PM »
Since there isn't much drone stuff going on I figured I'd show off my fish tank. It's been in a couple of my videos and I have had some comments about it so for your viewing pleasure I hope, here you go. It's a 55 gal. all glass aquarium where I will be housing African Cichlid's. This is a class of fish sometimes referred to as aggressive which should give you an idea of their temperament. You can't house these fish with regular tropical fish as they will kill them but these are among the most beautiful fresh water fish there are. This tank was set up and running for a couple of years and even survived my trailer fire fish intact but about a year ago I had carnage in the tank and lost everything. I was pretty bumbed out and I didn't do anything with it until about 3 months ago when I decided to clean it up and breath life back into it. I took it down, cleaned everything completely and set it back up. I ran it for about 2 months to go through the nitrate cycle and put 1 fish in it to see how things were. He did real well so about 2 weeks ago I ordered 10 fish and they have been doing real well. With African Cichlids as with many species of animals and fish, the males have the color and the females are kinda drab grayish color. These are juvenile males about 2 to 3 inches which is about the size that they start showing color and the sex can be determined. Since this will be a show tank I want all males. It's great to get these guys at this age cause I get to watch them grow and color up and that's a lot of fun. I'll be ordering more fish next week if everything continues to go good. I'll post weekly videos if you guys are interested so you can watch them change too, if not no harm no foul. Anyway, here you go.

This is what they will look like when they mature, don't ask me which is which.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:34:04 PM by Bigal1951 »