Author Topic: How to set up your Turnigy 9X Transmitter and RX for the Naza Lite MC  (Read 118618 times)

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
  • Awards: fpv pilotmultipilot goldrcaddictnazacriusmulticoptergoldscalehelihelipilotsilverwaverunner
This is what I have my Turnigy 9x TX set up for The Naza Lite Flight control board with Naza assistant instructions for 3 flight modes ( ATTI/GPS, MAN, ATTI ) and also how to switch over to IOC ( Intelligent Orientation Control), and forced failsafe for RTH ( Return To Home).

Hooking up your Turnigy receiver to your Naza MC:

RX          Naza MC

CH1          A
CH2          E
CH3          T
CH4          R
CH5          NONE
CH6          U
CH7          X2

Walk through on setting up your Turnigy TX:

Setting up your model type and name:First make sure that all of the switches are in the forward or UP position and throttle stick is at the bottom or lowest position then turn on the TX.
Push and hold the menu button on the TX until you get 2 icons.
The first one will look like your Transmitter ( System settings ) and the other one will look like a wrench and screw driver. ( Func Settings ).
Start with the System settings by pressing the darkened TX icon.
Mode select is the model that you want to fly. It has an 8 model memory so if you don't have any other models programmed into your TX then just start from the top and push exit to return to system settings.
Now using the up/down pad on the left side of your TX cursor down to [Mode name] then push the menu button. Here you will type in the name of your model that you want, then when finished push the menu button again to save and it will return back to the system settings menu.
Now you cursor down to[ Type select ] and push menu. 3 selections 1: Heli  2:Acro  3:glider  Select Heli and push menu button to save and return to system settings.
 Next selection scroll down to [ Modeulat ] 2 selections 1: PPM  2: PCM  Select PPM and push menu to save and return to system setting.

Now go down to [Stick Set] push menu and select Mode2 then menu again. It will ask for Thro reverse? Just push exit and you finished.
This is all you need to do with the system settings.

Setting up your Func settings on your Turnigy 9x Transmitter:

Now Scroll up or down until the tool icon darkens ( Func Settings ) and push menu.

1st choice: [Reverse]= Push the menu button and all should be set at normal. Pitch and the first AUX should be reversed.  push menu to save and return to func setting menu.
Next scroll down to [thr/crv] and push menu. With your AUX3 F mode or 3 way switch on the upper right hand of your TX switched in the 1st pos or "N" these settings should be  L:00.0%  1: 025.0%  2: 050.0%  3:075.0%  H: 100.0% Press menu to save.
Note: I have my "n" or normal settings @ 50% across the board so that when it is at GPS mode or switched to "N" position the aircraft will stay at what ever altitude it is at when switched to GPS. Only do this after you had finished your sticks calibration on the assistant.
This is so when i am in GPS- No matter where my throttle stick is at, It will always stay at that altitude it was at when switched over. Otherwise I would recommend setting it to the above 0,25,50,75,100%

Now go back to THR/CV push Menu and put your 3 way switch to 1. Your screen should now show Point <ID1>.
Set all of these to the same as stated above.
L: 000.0%  1: 025.0%  2: 050.0%  3: 075.0%  H: 100.0% Push Menu and save.
 Go back to the THR/CV screen push menu. now flick your 3 way switch to pos#2 and the screen should show Point <ID2> and enter the same values as above.
Now put your 3 way switch back to position "N" and push menu button to save and return to Func setting menu.

Channel Assign:

Next scroll all the way over to [Aux-Ch] and push the menu button.
These are you Aux channel set with CH5 at the top through CH9 at the bottom of the list.
 Go to CH5 on the list. If you want RTH (Return to home ) then you have to change using the + or - on scroll pad on your TX from "Null" to "Gear".  This will allow your gear switch on the upper right corner of your TX to engage a forced Failsafe for the RTH mode.
CAUTION: This mode only works with the 3 pos switch in the "N" (GPS) or in the "A" (Atti) flight mode and  once the RTH is engaged while in flight- you will loose total stick control and the aircraft will take over and fly by itself. If it is not working properly while the RTH is engaged, then you must first turn or switch off the RTH switch and then switch your 3 way to position 2 or Man mode for you to regain stick control. Once you have regained stick control from your TX then you can switch your 3 way back to GPS or Atti mode.

Now scroll down to CH 7 and change "Null" to "THRO HOLD"
Push menu button to save settings and return to FUNC SETTING menu. ( This will allow you to use your throttle hold or throttle cut switch on the top left corner of your TX to engage the IOC )
Note: This will only work in GPS mode.( Must connect from CH 7 on your RX to X2 on the Naza MC )
OK now turn off you TX and hook up to the Naza Lite Assistant on your computer. Here is the full instructions on this here:
http://rumblecloud.com/rumblecloudrc/index.php?topic=62.0
Once you have your Multi plugged into your computer and have the Naza Lite assistant up and running we need to set up your flight modes for the 3 way switch on your tx.

Naza assistant and your Turnigy 9x.

First take your props off of your multi and have your Naza assistant window ready on your computer.
Turn on your Turnigy 9x Transmitter and plug in your multi battery and bind your TX to your multi.
Now plug in your multi to your computer via the supplied usb cord. The light on the Naza V-SEN should go from blinking to solid green.
The Naza MC is now communicating with the Naza assistant on your computer and the bar on the bottom of the screen should be a green "MC OUTPUT OFF".

1: On the left side of your assistant are your set up and calibration menu. Click on the first icon labled " Mounting".
This is a measurement distant between your Naza MC and the GPS compass in CM. Follow the instructions on where to input your measurements.

2: When finished with the Compass distance then click on the next window below labled: " Motor mixer".
Check the circle that best applies to your multi configuration. Mine is on Quad Rotor X.
When finished then click on the icon below labled "TX Cali".

3: This is in sections so we will start with the box labled :
1-Receiver type:  * Tradition  * D-Bus  * PPM
Click the Tradition
 2-Cut off type:  * IMM   * Intelligent
I use IMM.

3- Command sticks Calibration: We will skip this part for now and return later.

4- Sticks Monitor:  This should already be programmed into your TX from earlier. The only one that should move is the X2 slider.  On your TX with the Thro/Hold switch off the X2 arrow should be on the far right of the scale.  With the switch engaged or on the arrow should move to the far left of the scale.

5- Mode Control Switch: This allows you to switch between the flight modes using your 3 way position switch on your TX.

What you want to happen here is in each switched flight mode you go to - you want the corresponding mode to light up BLUE With the black arrow just below the grey scale bar which reads:   GPS / Failsafe / A / Failsafe / M /

1st put you 3 way switch to the upper or "N" position on you TX.
On your Turnigy 9x TX push the menu botton for a few seconds until you see the settings menu then cursor over and darken to the tools (Function Settings)Push Menu.
Now scroll down to [Pitch/CRV] and press Menu.
This setting we will make our GPS flight mode.
The screen on the TX should show "Point <Nor>
Move your percent up while watching the Naza assistant on your computer until the arrow slides directly under GPS and turns it BLUE Make sure that the arrow is pointed right in the center of GPS on the grey bar.
Mine are set as:
L: 001.5%  1: 001.5%  2: 001.5%  3: 001.5%   H: 001.5%  All of these values must be the same across the board for each flight mode and can vary from TX to TX. Push Menu and save.

OK now switch your 3 way on your TX to position "1" and return to PIT/CV by pressing Menu . The screen on your TX should now show: Point <ID1>
This flight mode we are going to set up as "M" or Manual.
Set your percentages up until the black arrow on the Naza assistant slides under the center of the "M" on the scale and lights up BLUE
Mine are set @:
L: 083.0%  1: 083.0%  2: 083.0%  3: 083.0%  H: 083.0% Press Menu and save.

Now flick you 3 way switch on your TX to position "2" and return to PIT/CV by pressing Menu . The screen on your TX should read: Point <ID2>
This flight mode will be your ATTI
Set your percentages up until the black arrow on the Naza assistant slides directly under and highlights the "A" BLUE
My values are set up @:
L: 042.0%  1: 042.0%  2: 042.0%  3: 042.0%  H: 042.0%

NOTE: You can move your flight mode to whatever position you want, but from trial and error i found that this was the best set up for Binding and Compass Calibration purposes.

Now push menu to save your settings on your TX.
While using your 3 way switch on your TX - you can see the flight mode bar on the assistant move and highlight to the corresponding mode as you switch between modes.
 Position "N" = GPS
Position "1" = M
Position "2" = A

OK now it is time to go back to The #3 Command Sticks Calibration and calibrate your TX sticks to the Naza assistant.
Note: Make sure that your throttle trim is all the way down and that the rest of the sticks trims are centered.

Calibrate your TX with the Naza by clicking on the " START" button on the assistant.
Move all of your sticks in the extreme circular motions several times. When finished put your throttle stick all the way down and check that all but the throttle arrows are centered on the scale and highlighted GREEN
With the throttle stick in it's lowest position the throttle arrow on the assistant should be black in color and located all the way to the left of the scale.
When everything is where as described above then click on the "FINISH" button on the assistant.

Program Mixing your Turnigy TX for Forced Failsafe For RTH

Click on TX Cali on your Naza assistant which should bring up your Failsafe and flight mode bar.

Pick your TX back up and Then flick your gear switch on or in the up position and also make sure that your 3 way is in the " N"  or GPS flight mode and Go into your Func Settings Menu and scroll all the way to the second page and highlight the very last choice which is [PRO <1 2 3 >] and press Menu.
Go to PROG MIX1 and press enter.
Set your program mix as follows:
Note: Set you SW to NOR first.State- ACT
MASTER- GEA
SLAVE- PIT
OFFSET- 000
UPRATE -( This is how you will force failsafe ) While watching your naza assistant move the number up until the black arrow lines up under the center of the first " FAIL - SAFE" . It should turn BLUE
Mine is set to 042
DNRATE- 000
SW- NOR
Push menu and save.

Now put your 3 way switch into the "2" position or ATTI flight mode and scroll to PROG MIX2 and press enter.
Change the prog mix2 as follows:
Note: Set your SW to ID2 first.STATE- ACT
MASTER- GEAR
SLAVE- PIT
OFFSET- 000
UPRATE- ( While watching your naza assistant move the number up until the black arrow lines up under the center of the 2nd "Fail - Safe"and changes it to BLUE).
Mine is set @ 040
DNRATE- 000
SW- ID2
Push Menu and save and put your 3 way switch to "N" or GPS and your Gear or RTH switch off or in the down position.

IOC Home Lock/Course Lock
There are 2 options For the IOC 1- Home lock and 2- Course Lock.
I only use Home Lock so these instructions will be for Home lock only.
Go in the Func Settings menu and Highlight [ E. POINT] press Menu.
Everything will be @ 100%
Scroll all the way down to the first AUX on the list. Now on your Naza assistant click on "Auto Pilot"
You will see your IOC bar.
Take you TH/Hold Or IOC switch on the upper left corner of your TX and flick it up or to the on position.
The first percentage value on the AUX should be darkened.
There is a small box on your Naza assistant with: Intelligent Orientation Control just above the bar. That box needs to be checked before you move on.
After checking the IOC box while watching the slide bar on the assistant - bring your % down on the AUX in the TX until the black arrow lines up below center of the " HOME LOCK "  And changes it BLUE. Push Menu and save.
Now flick your IOC switch off and the black arrow should return back under the OFF on the slide bar.

Test your flight modes and IOC switches.

While you are still on Auto pilot off the Naza assistant - Switch on and off your IOC switch. When on the Home Loc should be lit up Blue and with the switch off - should lite up the off on the slide bar.
Now click on the TX Cali icon on your Naza assistant and switch your 3 way switch ( Flight modes) between "N", "1", and "2" on the TX.
"N" should light up GPS, "1" should light up "M" and "2" should light up "A" on the slide bar.
Now put your 3 way on "N" and flick  your gear or RTH switch on. The failsafe should light up on the slide bar and when shut off should return back to GPS.
Note: Your RTH will only work when the 3 way switch is either in the "N" (GPS) or the "2" (A) positions. It will not work while flying in the "1" or (M) position.  Please read the caution on shutting off the RTH while flying.
Now click on Write and then on Import on the top of your Naza assistant to save to your computer and Now you are almost ready to go.

You will have to calibrate your GPS with the Naza MC next before flight. Here is the complete instructions:
http://rumblecloud.com/rumblecloudrc/index.php?topic=71.0

Before flying the forced Failsafe and IOC I recommend you first read through this:
http://rumblecloud.com/rumblecloudrc/index.php?topic=68.msg153#msg153

Mark dancing
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 02:52:09 PM by Flyingdeutschman »

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Men and Their Flying Machines Somewhere Over OZ
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
Re: How to set up your Turnigy 9X Transmitter and RX for the Naza Lite MC
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 03:28:29 PM »
Great start Mark, I think we need more of these tutorials as the forum grows.  :t2923:

Great input :t2030: :t2030: :t2030:

:freeze:   Ice

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:16:20 PM »
Agreed Ed.

I've been waiting for Mark to put this one together cause I'm going thru the process as we speak.

I will wait for part 2 before I bombard him with questions though.
 :headslap:

Thanks for posting Mark.

Offline Davesheli

• It's all about the Multi's..
  • Administrator
  • I Love flying my Hedge Hog, I mean Quad...
    • DavesHeli YouTube Channel
  • Awards: Multi builder Multi Pilot GoldKk2 userHelicopter PilotQuad Pilot
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 10:03:17 PM »
That looks great Mark, long but a lot of info that will help a lot of members if needed.. Thanks for sharing...  :t2946:

:coolguy:

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 11:49:48 PM »
Mark is doing a bang up job.
I'm going through each step of the set-up and making notes. We can probably make it easier to swallow by simply breaking up the copy into bite size chunks or break it into separate steps.

We're getting there.

r

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 09:03:35 PM »
Alrighty then  :t2980: :t2980: :t2980:

Nice work Mark. I just finished going thru the set up and everything is spot on. Obviously haven't been able to get it outdoors yet but the radio settings react just the way you describe.

I've just put the finishing touches on Tom's quad and did a quick test flight here in the basement in ATTI. Level and steady as a rock. Using the 9-inch props with 2200 mAh Nanos. Looks like it will be a blast to fly.

I really like the way you reformatted the instructions with red and breaking it up -- was very easy to follow.

Thanks very much for doing this. Just great information. Think about how many of these radios and Naza Lites are out there...

r

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
  • Awards: fpv pilotmultipilot goldrcaddictnazacriusmulticoptergoldscalehelihelipilotsilverwaverunner
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 10:07:05 PM »
Your welcome Randy. It took a while to get it together ( Some of it I forgot how I did it ), but now I have a reference to go to when I forget somthing. :b0206:
Now for the 450 build :scratching_chin1:

Mark dancing

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 12:49:47 PM »
You should make a build guide for the 450 Mark, and make it a sticky  :t2030: :t2922: :t2922:

The more info we can gather the better the forum will be.

:freeze:  Ice

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 01:00:44 PM »
+1... Video, video, video, video, video, video, video, video, video!!!!!!!!!! :b0201: :b0201: :b0201: :turkey: :0042v1:

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 01:04:12 PM »
A walk through like this one or a video?

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 02:30:18 PM »
Seems like it would almost have to be some sort of split screen with V/O that mirrored the copy.
Would take some doing with screen capture of the Assistant Software responding to your radio inputs, but it could be done.

I'd love to help if you want it. I think I know enough about it now to do the screen captures.
I'd have to work fast though because I have to give Tom his quad this weekend.

You can download free screen capture software if you need it.

Let me know.

Offline Davesheli

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »
A step by step would be the best thing to do in a thread like this.. It would be too long to do a video unless you did a lot of little ones and then added them together when done... Would have to cut them down also.. Can't be too long...
 :scratching_chin1:

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 05:49:49 PM »
I like both ideas, the step by step has the most promise and its secure info when needed. But then again the video process is whats happening now, I like the split screen that Randy was talking about.  Wow too many decisions  :b0703:

Information is the key  :t2030: :t2030: :t2030:

:freeze:    Ice

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 07:10:31 PM »
How about I do the 450 build like I did the Alien thread?
 The video thing would be too hard for me as both of the computers in the house are sick and need a doctor. I can't even hardly watch a video from them rather downloading anything more.

Randy. I was thinking about this thread and if you want to do some video screen shots and add them to the walk throughs it's ok by me.
Split screen sounds cool.
Also if you guys need to fix anything on this thread or make it better go ahead and do so. I knew it was long, but didn't know how to get the info out there to help others without making them fall a sleep in the process. :t2030:

Mark dancing
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 07:12:53 PM by Flyingdeutschman »

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 08:31:45 PM »
Looooooooooooong, absolutely not, intuitive and to the point, very thourough. You hit the nail on the head Mark. Great writing, This is the stuff that people look for.

Information is key!!!

Great job :t2037: :t2037: :t2037:

:freeze:  Ice