Author Topic: Taranis, X8R and NAZA M Set-up  (Read 8602 times)

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
Taranis, X8R and NAZA M Set-up
« on: January 29, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »
This is a work in progress.
Here is the video. Some subtle differences in between the vid and the description here, but I will iron those out over the next week. Technically they are the same, just a bit different in the order in which they are presented.

ALL COMMENTS ARE WELCOME Please:

Set-up Taranis, X8R and NAZA M
How to set-up GPS, ATTI, FailSafe, Manual, IOC Home Lock and Course Lock.

Connect channels 1 – 6 on the X8R to the NAZA:
1 = Rudder
2 = Elevator
3 = Throttle
4 = Aileron
5 = U on the NAZA
6 = X2 on the NAZA

Go to the Channel Mixer menu on the radio
Create the following associations:
1 = Rudder
2 = Elevator
3 = Throttle
4 = Aileron
5 = 3-way switch SC
6 = 3-way switch SG

NAZA Flight Mode Set-up – 2 steps
Step 1 is associating Channel 5 with the SC Switch positions and Curves so that you can use the SC switch to change the NAZA flight modes.
Step 2 is creating the actual curves that actuate the different flight modes in the NAZA Assistant Software Control Mode Switch menu page.

Step 1
In the MIXER Menu (page 6), associate Channel 5 with Curve 1 (CV1) and Switch SC. Place switch SC in the UP “^” position. Title it GPS.
Create an additional line under Channel 5 “+=” and associate that line with CV2 and Switch SC.
Place switch SC in the CENTER “-“ position.Title it MAN.
(To create an additional line, press and hold the ENT key on the radio and select the += menu entry).
Create another line under Channel 5 “+=” and associate that line with CV3 and Switch SC.
Place SC switch in the DOWN “v” position. Title it ATTI or FS depending on what flight mode you want to activate.

Step 2
In the CURVES Menu (page 8), create CV1 and title it GPS.
Create CV2 and title it MANUAL
Create CV3 and title it ATTI or FS depending on what flight mode you want to activate.

This next part requires you to move the different points on the curve while watching the Control Mode Switch in the NAZA Assistant Software.

Go to point one on CV1. Place the SC Switch in the UP position (GPS). While watching the Control Mode Switch in the NAZA Assistant Software, begin moving the different points on CV1 up or down until you see movement of the black arrowhead on the U-channel slider.  Note: Not all the points will move the arrowhead. Find the one that does and move it either up or down until the arrowhead centers under GPS and turns it Blue. Next, move all the other points in CV1 to that same position resulting in a horizontal line.

Go to point one on CV2. Place the SC Switch in the CENTER position (MANUAL). While watching the Control Mode Switch in the NAZA Assistant Software, begin moving the different points on CV2 up or down until you see movement of the black arrowhead on the U- channel slider.  Note: Not all the points will move the arrowhead. Find the one that does and move it either up or down until the arrowhead centers under MANUAL and turns it Blue. Next, move all the other points in CV1 to that same position resulting in a horizontal line.

Go to point one on CV3. Place the SC Switch in the DOWN position (ATTI or FAILSAFE). While watching the Control Mode Switch in the NAZA Assistant Software, begin moving the different points on CV3 up or down until you see movement of the black arrowhead on the U- channel slider.  Note: Not all the points will move the arrowhead. Find the one that does and move it either up or down until the arrowhead centers under ATTI or FAILSAFE and turns it Blue. Next, move all the other points in CV1 to that same position resulting in a horizontal line.

Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC) Set-up - 2 steps
This operation is similar to the set-up process for the NAZA Flight Modes.
Step 1 is associating Channel 6 with the SG Switch positions and Curves so that you can use the SG switch to change the IOC flight modes.
Step 2 is creating the actual curves that actuate the different flight modes in the NAZA Assistant Software IOC menu page X2 slider

Step 1
In the MIXER Menu (page 6), associate Channel 6 with Curve 4 (CV4)and Switch SG. Place switch SG in the UP “^” position.
Create an additional line under Channel 6 “+=” and associate that line with CV5 and Switch SG.
Place switch SG in the CENTER “-“ position.
(To create an additional line, press and hold the ENT key on the radio and select the += menu entry).
Create another line under Channel 6 “+=” and associate that line with CV6 and Switch SG.
Place SG switch in the DOWN “v” position.

Step 2
In the CURVES Menu (page 8), create CV4 and title it IOC OF (OFF).
Create CV5 and title it IOC CL (COURSE LOCK).
Create CV6 and title it IOC HL (HOME LOCK).

This next part requires you to move the different points on the curve while watching the X2 slider in the IOC menu page of the NAZA Assistant Software.

Go to point one on CV4. Place the SG Switch in the UP position (OFF). While watching the X2 slider on the IOC menu page, begin moving the different points on CV4 up or down until you see movement of the black arrowhead on the
X2- channel slider.  Note: Not all the points will move the arrowhead. Find the one that does and move it either up or down until the arrowhead centers under OFF and turns it Blue. Next, move all the other points in CV4 to that same position resulting in a horizontal line.

Go to point one on CV5. Place the SG Switch in the CENTER position (COURSE LOCK). While watching the X2 slider on the IOC menu page, begin moving the different points on CV5 up or down until you see movement of the black arrowhead on the X2- channel slider.  Note: Not all the points will move the arrowhead. Find the one that does and move it either up or down until the arrowhead centers under COURSE LOCK and turns it Blue. Next, move all the other points in CV5 to that same position resulting in a horizontal line.

Go to point one on CV6. Place the SG Switch in the DOWN position (HOME LOCK). While watching the X2 slider on the IOC menu page, begin moving the different points on CV5 up or down until you see movement of the black arrowhead on the X2- channel slider.  Note: Not all the points will move the arrowhead. Find the one that does and move it either up or down until the arrowhead centers under HOME LOCK and turns it Blue. Next, move all the other points in CV6 to that same position resulting in a horizontal line.

Congratulations.
You’ve just enabled all the features of NAZA M.  Now go fly your brains out.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:46:00 PM by Rumblecloud »

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
  • Awards: fpv pilotmultipilot goldrcaddictnazacriusmulticoptergoldscalehelihelipilotsilverwaverunner
Re: Taranis, X8R and NAZA M Set-up
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 12:01:37 PM »
Great job Randy. Have you test flown all of these modes yet?

Mark

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
  • Awards: Crotchety Old FartHeli Pilot SilverBenefactorFPV PilotNAZAMultiSilverGlider Pilot
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 12:58:11 PM »
To much snow, too much wind and too much cold.

Prolly won't get to test until spring the way things are going around here.

Offline icecycler

• "On-the-fly-NewsGuy"
  • Administrator
  • Men and Their Flying Machines Somewhere Over OZ
  • Awards: On the Fly News Guy450 Fixed PitchMulticopterHelicopterRC AddictHeli PilotOld FartKK2Multicopter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 01:59:16 PM »
I got a pretty good flying arena if your interested in driving down about six hours :b0201: :b0201: :b0201:

Great job Randy, plenty of info on the subject  :t2030: :t2030: :t2030:

:freeze:  Ice

Tools, Tools, Tools gotta have Tools. Without Tools The World Would Not Be Like it is Today!!!---------- Laugh A Lot Everyday, Life is too Short To Be Grumpy!!!-------Exercise Your Brain Build and Fly R/C!!!

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 02:41:57 PM »
Thanks guys.
I'm working out the video as we speak. It's really difficult to shoot it then edit it all together so it makes sense.

r

Offline Flyingdeutschman

• Administrator
  • Multi rotors ROCK!
  • Awards: fpv pilotmultipilot goldrcaddictnazacriusmulticoptergoldscalehelihelipilotsilverwaverunner
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 12:33:24 PM »
Just received  the radio yesterday. I know nothing about this so I will be following your tutorial this week end.
 I turned on the TX and I was like a deer in headlights. Is there something I have to do before setting up this to the Naza or can I just start off on your walk through?

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 10:11:04 AM »
Just start out with the tutorial. With the Taranis, there are multiple ways to accomplish the same things. Once you become familiar with how it works you may find a more straightforward method. Mine was pretty simple.

Also look up R. Scott Page on YouTube. He was one of the very first reviewers of the radio and has a ton of vids explaining more than you'll ever need to know.
Just tried to find his channel and it's not there any longer...hmmmm....found him on RCGroups:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=265543

You also might want to download and set-up the 9X Companion software. You can program the radio using the buttons and menus on the radio or you can use the 9X Companion interface to program it. I've done it both ways. The software is easier on the eyes and fingers though.

Also you have a newer radio, so some things may have changed.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 10:24:50 AM by Rumblecloud »

Offline highflyer

• Forum Zombies
  • famous last words...hey Hold My Beer & Watch This.
  • Awards: Casey JonesGround PounderHeli Pilot SilverPlanker Pilot SilvermulticoptersilverNazaMulti Pilot BronzeRC AddictOld Farts Club
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 04:39:22 AM »
This is a work in progress.
Here is the video. Some subtle differences in between the vid and the description here, but I will iron those out over the next week. Technically they are the same, just a bit different in the order in which they are presented.

ALL COMMENTS ARE WELCOME Please:

Set-up Taranis, X8R and NAZA M
How to set-up GPS, ATTI, FailSafe, Manual, IOC Home Lock and Course Lock.

Connect channels 1 – 6 on the X8R to the NAZA:
1 = Rudder
2 = Elevator
3 = Throttle
4 = Aileron
5 = U on the NAZA
6 = X2 on the NAZA

Go to the Channel Mixer menu on the radio
Create the following associations:
1 = Rudder
2 = Elevator
3 = Throttle
4 = Aileron
5 = 3-way switch SC
6 = 3-way switch SG

NAZA Flight Mode Set-up – 2 steps
Step 1 is associating Channel 5 with the SC Switch positions and Curves so that you can use the SC switch to change the NAZA flight modes.
Step 2 is creating the actual curves that actuate the different flight modes in the NAZA Assistant Software Control Mode Switch menu page.

Step 1
In the MIXER Menu (page 6), associate Channel 5 with Curve 1 (CV1) and Switch SC. Place switch SC in the UP “^” position. Title it GPS.
Create an additional line under Channel 5 “+=” and associate that line with CV2 and Switch SC.
Place switch SC in the CENTER “-“ position.Title it MAN.
Create another line under Channel 5 “+=” and associate that line with CV3 and Switch SC.
Place SC switch in the DOWN “v” position. Title it ATTI or FS depending on what flight mode you want to activate.

Step 2
In the CURVES Menu (page 8), create CV1 and title it GPS.
Create CV2 and title it MANUAL
Create CV3 and title it ATTI or FS depending on what flight mode you want to activate.

This next part requires you to move the different points on the curve while watching the Control Mode Switch in the NAZA Assistant Software.

Go to point one on CV1. Place the SC Switch in the UP position (GPS). While watching the Control Mode Switch in the NAZA Assistant Software, begin moving the different points on CV1 up or down until you see movement of the black arrowhead on the U-channel slider.  Note: Not all the points will move the arrowhead. Find the one that does and move it either up or down until the arrowhead centers under GPS and turns it Blue. Next, move all the other points in CV1 to that same position resulting in a horizontal line.

Go to point one on CV2. Place the SC Switch in the CENTER position (MANUAL). While watching the Control Mode Switch in the NAZA Assistant Software, begin moving the different points on CV2 up or down until you see movement of the black arrowhead on the U- channel slider.  Note: Not all the points will move the arrowhead. Find the one that does and move it either up or down until the arrowhead centers under MANUAL and turns it Blue. Next, move all the other points in CV1 to that same position resulting in a horizontal line.

Go to point one on CV3. Place the SC Switch in the DOWN position (ATTI or FAILSAFE). While watching the Control Mode Switch in the NAZA Assistant Software, begin moving the different points on CV3 up or down until you see movement of the black arrowhead on the U- channel slider.  Note: Not all the points will move the arrowhead. Find the one that does and move it either up or down until the arrowhead centers under ATTI or FAILSAFE and turns it Blue. Next, move all the other points in CV1 to that same position resulting in a horizontal line.

Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC) Set-up - 2 steps
This operation is similar to the set-up process for the NAZA Flight Modes.
Step 1 is associating Channel 6 with the SG Switch positions and Curves so that you can use the SG switch to change the IOC flight modes.
Step 2 is creating the actual curves that actuate the different flight modes in the NAZA Assistant Software IOC menu page X2 slider

Step 1
In the MIXER Menu (page 6), associate Channel 6 with Curve 4 (CV4)and Switch SG. Place switch SG in the UP “^” position.
Create an additional line under Channel 6 “+=” and associate that line with CV5 and Switch SG.
Place switch SG in the CENTER “-“ position.
Create another line under Channel 6 “+=” and associate that line with CV6 and Switch SG.
Place SG switch in the DOWN “v” position.

Step 2
In the CURVES Menu (page 8), create CV4 and title it IOC OF (OFF).
Create CV5 and title it IOC CL (COURSE LOCK).
Create CV6 and title it IOC HL (HOME LOCK).

This next part requires you to move the different points on the curve while watching the X2 slider in the IOC menu page of the NAZA Assistant Software.

Go to point one on CV4. Place the SG Switch in the UP position (OFF). While watching the X2 slider on the IOC menu page, begin moving the different points on CV4 up or down until you see movement of the black arrowhead on the
X2- channel slider.  Note: Not all the points will move the arrowhead. Find the one that does and move it either up or down until the arrowhead centers under OFF and turns it Blue. Next, move all the other points in CV4 to that same position resulting in a horizontal line.

Go to point one on CV5. Place the SG Switch in the CENTER position (COURSE LOCK). While watching the X2 slider on the IOC menu page, begin moving the different points on CV5 up or down until you see movement of the black arrowhead on the X2- channel slider.  Note: Not all the points will move the arrowhead. Find the one that does and move it either up or down until the arrowhead centers under COURSE LOCK and turns it Blue. Next, move all the other points in CV5 to that same position resulting in a horizontal line.

Go to point one on CV6. Place the SG Switch in the DOWN position (HOME LOCK). While watching the X2 slider on the IOC menu page, begin moving the different points on CV5 up or down until you see movement of the black arrowhead on the X2- channel slider.  Note: Not all the points will move the arrowhead. Find the one that does and move it either up or down until the arrowhead centers under HOME LOCK and turns it Blue. Next, move all the other points in CV6 to that same position resulting in a horizontal line.

Congratulations.
You’ve just enabled all the features of NAZA M.  Now go fly your brains out.
Hi Randy
will this setup work with the lite ? could I copy all the settings I have on my 9X for my F450 and program it into my Taranis? or is that going to be a whole different setup? also. do I set the throttle trim all the way down like have it on my 9X? I'll ask Mark the same question thought I'd ask you first since he's busy building that monster of a quad.

Thanks Jeff   :coolguy:

Offline Rumblecloud

• Administrator
  • Thanks for joining
    • Rumblecloud Website
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 09:02:31 AM »
It should work with the Lite. The differences between the M and the Lite are minor. I'm not sure about using the settings from the 450.